Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Control

Scent control is subjective, at best.

For a good example, contact your local drug task force, and watch a drug dog at work. Can't hide 'nuthin frum 'em!

Best results are hunt high, and upwind!

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
I have been using baking soda for years and it seems to do the job. I even had the wife make me a cloth bag filled with baking soda, that ai take in the backpack. If I sweat up on the way in, I use the baking soda bag on me and my hunting togs. I also use opnly baking soda to wash the hunting togs, put do add 4 oz of pure apple juice in the last rinse cycle...that 4 oz only, some guy last year I told this to, came to his own conclusion that if 4 oz was good, then a whole 1/2 gal would be better. He had a hell of a problem in the woods with bees........

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Subjective? Disagree.

Since I've started a scent control regimen, I've seen a tremendous difference in deer activity, as well as their manner. They are less nervous. The number of larger bucks I see has increased. Instead of 1 or 2, I'm now seeing 5-6 book bucks per season.

I use Scent Loc clothing, hunters body soap and shampoo, hunters deodorant, and carbon blast spray. I also wash every time I wear in scent free detergent. We also use Earth Scent wafers on our hat as a cover scent.

To me, its worth the extra effort, and minimal additional expense.

I'm actually going to try the body powders this year.

I have a video of an 8 point buck standing 30 yards from me. It is snowing, and you can see the wind is blowing directly toward the buck. He never winded us. I can only judge based on my own experiences.

Bo

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
If you can't fool the drug sniffing dogs,

I know you can't fool the deer. They seem to be better sniffers that even the dogs when scent concentrations are minute!

But, if it is working, don't argue with success.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I use baking soda as well. This year I'm gonna change my application habits so as i don't get it all in my hunt pack. I'm thinking I'll first put some in an old sock and keep that in a ziploc. I shower with scent free hunting shampoo and soap, use the fresh earth wafers to store my clothes and the fresh earth spray as a cover scent, and blot myself in the stinky areas with the baking soda for good measure. I can't afford the scent free clothing, but I've had deer pretty close and have done well. Still play the wind and get high when possible. Watch putting to much baking soda down your draws though, may chap your stuff.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts