Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everybody, I am looking to get some new hunting clothes and I wanted to try something that eliminates scent. Are these really worth the money? and what brands do you think are the best? Thanks!!

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
I believe one needs to use a total system,such as bathing in bacteria killing scent free soap,and then using some sort of scent elimination clothing.
they say pure silver is supposed to be superior to carbon suits but who knows what to believe.I use all 3 and it seems to work pretty good for me or at least makes me feel like it does.

medalist silvermax makes a pretty good system.very comfortable and good quality!!I think carbon suits help but who really knows exactly how much. :noidea:

·
Registered
279 Posts
My experiences with the scent control clothing is that they are usually a better quality garment, so to that extent I believe they are worth a little more money, but I do not believe that they really eliminate or contain scent.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Don't waster your money on the carbon clothes. They can only work for a limited time. Carbon will NOT release those chemicals from the heat put out by a dryer. Carbon would have to be heated to over 800 degress for the bound molecules to be released.

I use the DEADOWNWIND line of products and could not be happier.

·
Registered
185 Posts
The thing I don't get is...

One of the stinkiest things has to be a guy's breath. It's warm, moist and full of bacteria. Does the fine-tuning of molecules in your clothes really make that much of a difference? Toweling off and using deoderant is one thing. I use some of the spray-on stuff, but can't see ponying up the super bucks for the carbon clothes. Nothing scientific in my opinion...just doesn't make sense to me.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I have had it all ,I was in a sporting goods store and found this product called TRU CARBON.. IVE USED IT TWO YEARS ,KILLED TWO BUCKS OVER 140,No joke this stuff really works,IT sucks i have arond a thousand bucks in clothing,and this stuff is only ,13.95

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Unless you can stop breathing a scent suit won't work....don't waiste your money.:pukey:

·
Registered
928 Posts
Don't waster your money on the carbon clothes. They can only work for a limited time. Carbon will NOT release those chemicals from the heat put out by a dryer. Carbon would have to be heated to over 800 degress for the bound molecules to be released.

I use the DEADOWNWIND line of products and could not be happier.
+1. You can't reactivate in a dryer. A Carbon suit did it's job the minute it left the store shelf.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Just follow a good scent control routine... When buying clothes, focus on things like: Quiet.. Warm.. Dry.. And be price concious... More expensive is not always better.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
yeah Im like most everyone here... the prices on some stuff is outrageous!! I think if you wash your clothes and body in scent killing(bacteria) soap. Maybe spray yourself down and keep your clothes in scent blocking bags you should be good to go. I use about 200 dollars in my warm season gear and I have had numerous deer in 5 yards of my stand and sit there and stomp trying to get me to mov or scent me. In the end they just walk off puzzled... I actually had a half rack come within two arms lengths and stop and stare at me when walking to my stand. I just squatted there on the ground and he never knew what the heck I was. Granted I had to wash my clothes after that because I about crapped myself...

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have not used any scent elimating clothing but do shower in bacteria killing soap and spray myself with scent cover. This has worked for me. I have no problem getting deer to come within shooting distance of my stand. However, I would really love to have all that stuff. My wife would not let me spend all that money of the first year of our marriage.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Will scent blocker clothing help? Yes, but it will not eliminate it, there are many factors to reducing scent as much as possible.

·
Registered
4,395 Posts
Silver lining & Mennen SS (un-scented) + touch of humor

Mennen un-scented speed stick antiperspirant smells just like one of the expensive hunting antiperspirants. Have been using it for years.

X-Scent, X-Static (silver linings woven into undergarments) work for me along with regular clothes washing in the right UV free hunting detergents.

Also use fresh earth scent sprayed on clothing, boots, gear etc...

The only piece of carbon based clothing I own was purchased because it fits so well. I store it with a bunch of earth scent wafers because I believe the absorption/re-activation feature is BS. Even if I'm wrong, I'm still covered because if it absorbs the dirt smell immediately after washing, I still smell like dirt.

Now all I need to do is work on holding my breath for 2 hours at a time!

I will tell you one true story that is very funny with regards to scent control!
One time several years ago... I "passed gas" in a stand. About 2 minutes later (directly downwind) a deer blew about as loud as I have ever heard a deer blow in the woods. There is absolutely no way that a carbon-based suit could have covered that one up. Even if it did it would have spent all of its' "9 lives" well before daylight broke!

·
Registered
4,395 Posts
Yum!

Try gargling with your favorite scents, wonder if Golden Estrus is any good? DON"T try this please
The presentation of this comment is very funny. (so long as I don't think about it too much)

·
Registered
729 Posts
If your like me and hunt in the Rockies or Cascade mountains you are going sweat.....a lot. If the wind is bad an animal is going to smell you no matter what you are wearing. I do think the scent killer laundry soap is a good product as we don't want to go out in the woods smelling like perfume. IMO cover up scents are more effective than scent eliminator clothing. Its a lot easier to "fool" their noses then to hide the smell. Your best bet is to hunt assuming that you smell like %@&! and dont let them get down wind. :thumbs_up

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
Regardless of what I've used, It store my gear in air tight containers /c hunter's specialties earth scent wafers in them. I can't get that dirt smell out of them and the 8 pt I got this year came down wind of me and had no clue i was there. Oh yeah the gear is from ole cheapo Walmart clearance!

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Check out scentsmoker.com it is the answer to all your scent problems. I've had 49 deer(some of the same ones more that once) downwind from me at less than 30 yards and I haven't been busted yet.

·
Registered
8,685 Posts
hey everybody, I am looking to get some new hunting clothes and I wanted to try something that eliminates scent. Are these really worth the money? and what brands do you think are the best? Thanks!!
In spite of all advertiseing to the contray I don't believe you can buy any clothing that will eliminate scent. I mean figure it out the clothing hangs on a rack in a store without any protection, so unless it's a scent free store it's already sucked up a lot of scents. You buy it as scent free, yea right.
the only reason it is on the store shelf/rack is to suck up all your cents... :eek:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts