Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
I`ve had good luck using Scent Killer brand or Hunter`s Specialties.A good test is to take your oldest,smelliest,putrid ,pair of shoes or sneakers and spray the inside with either one.The smell disappears.While this stuff helps,nothing beats staying downwind of your quarry.Good luck.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have used Carbon Blast in the past. Seems to work ok.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Scent killer and HS Scent-a-way. I have gotten gas on my hands while filling my 4 wheeler, sprayed Scent-a-way on them, no gas smell!.

I live in the sticks on a small farm, I have 3 German Shepherds that are forever getting sprayed by skunks. I just spray Scent killer or scent-a-way on them and they immediately smell like fresh earth scent or fall blend with no trace of skunk odor. Pretty amazing! I do think these sprays help some.

However, I agree, hunt the wind and come to the woods with as few foreighn odors on you as you can.

·
Registered
19,452 Posts
jimfc3 said:
JERRY'S home made stuff works reall well
Smart man ! :thumbs_up ;) Yep, mine does :secret:

·
Registered
19,452 Posts
I knew you would ask, here it is :

Ingredients for Scent Killer:

16 oz. (2 cups) Peroxide

16 oz. (2 cups) Distilled Water

¼ cup baking soda

1 oz. On non-scented shampoo

(Or adjust amounts to whatever size you make accordingly)

Let sit for several days (1 gallon milk jug works good with lid loose) This recipe is also good for removing blood from your hands in the field after dressing your critter! No dried blood, presents a better image!

Here an idea for some scent free 'baby wipes'...

mix up a batch of scent killer as per instructions above...

take a roll of heavy duty paper towels (Bounty, Scott, etc..not the 49 cent cheapies)

cut the roll in half with an electric knife so you have 2 short rolls of paper towels(don't try a regular knife... it doesn't work). Pull the cardboard tube from the middle of the half roll

Find a rubbermaid or tupperware container big enough to hold the 1/2 roll of paper towels (and with a good sealed lid).

Put one of the 1/2 rolls of paper in the container, pour in the scent killer, let the wipes soak up the scent killer, keep covered tight so they don't dry out. Because the inner cardboard tube is out, pull the paper towels out the from the middle like a kleenex!
I put a certain amount of wipes in a zip lock bag and take them with me all the time.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Jerry,
Once you've made the batch up and let it sit in a 1 gallon jug, do you then transfer it to a spray bottle to spray down yourself and clothing?

Thanks!

Looking forward to giving it a try.

·
Registered
19,452 Posts
Yes, I have spray bottles all over, keep one in my truck, one in my fanny pack, several extras. By making your own, you can literally spray your whole self down and not worry about running out or using it up.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
What soap do you use?

·
Registered
19,452 Posts
Hunters Specialties, the green stuff but any no odor soap will work and it will still work if you dont have any shampoo but that helps it cling better or whatever the technical word is. :confused:

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Sweet! I've got gallons of that stuff laying around!

I'm going to give it a shot.

·
Banned
10,353 Posts
I use Scent Shield Fall Blend or Scent Killer Autumn Formula. Both are a 2 in 1 option as far as a scent killer and cover scent and they both work GREAT. I usually just buy whichever of the two are cheapest lol.

·
Registered
19,452 Posts
Misfire said:
Sweet! I've got gallons of that stuff laying around!

I'm going to give it a shot.

That is what I do, make it by the gallon and for a few dollars, you dont mind using as much as you want. If you buy the commercial stuff, you wont use it as much cuz it will deplete and you have to buy more.

Dont spray your bow ! Use unscented babywipes ! The bolts, etc. will rust.

·
Registered
170 Posts
PABowhunt4life said:
I use Scent Shield Fall Blend or Scent Killer Autumn Formula. Both are a 2 in 1 option as far as a scent killer and cover scent and they both work GREAT. I usually just buy whichever of the two are cheapest lol.
Yep, that's usually what I do. I caught this stuff on clearance at Wal-mart this past end season, got it for 2 dollars per 32 OZ bottle, I bought 2 cases. I also got the No stinkin' bugs spray for .50 cents, I got like 50 cans of it, my wife likes it! LOL!

I will have to try Jerry's stuff! Sounds like a great idea, especially the wipes, that's an awesome idea!

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Jerry , thanks for the info! :thumbs_up I am going to try it this year, I will let you know how I like it.

Dave

·
Registered
580 Posts
hey jerry

hey jerry i got a question about the home made scent killer.

i made up 2 gal's last fall --i still have one(in a milk gallon)
is it still good???
i think i read that if its not in a dark container that it will break down and not be good (thats why peroxide only comes in the dark bottles)
whats your take on this???

·
Registered
19,452 Posts
jimfc3 said:
hey jerry i got a question about the home made scent killer.

i made up 2 gal's last fall --i still have one(in a milk gallon)
is it still good???
i think i read that if its not in a dark container that it will break down and not be good (thats why peroxide only comes in the dark bottles)
whats your take on this???
As long as it was capped or sealed it will be fine....I make a new batch and pour it right on top the old stuff.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts