Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WELL I AM NEW TO THIS SIGHT BUT I WANTED TO TELL EVERYONE ABOUT MY SEASON SO FAR.

WELL WHAT I REALY WANT TO DO IS BRAG ABOUT SENT LOK.

MY FIRST DAY OF HUNTING WAS ON THE 16TH OF OCTOBER, I SAW ABOUT 20 DEER , I AM HUNTING ON A STIP OF TIMBER THAT IS BETWEEN TWO BEDDING AREAS. AT 8:30 THE DEER MOVED THOUGHT THE AREA LIKE FLIES. I TOOK A POKE AT ONE AT 14 YDS BUT MADE A BAD SHOT, SHE'S STILL KICKEN.

ON THE 30TH I SAW FIVE DEER ON A PIECE OF GROUND THAT ME AND JWS_19692 ARE HUNTING AND HAD TO BUCK WITH IN 5 STEPS FROM ME.

NEVER NEW I WAS THERE, I LOVE THIS STUFF. I USE TOO BE WASHING ALL MY CLOTHES IN ALL KINDS OF JUNK.

NOT ANY MORE SENTAWAY SOAP IS ALL I NEED.

SO ANYWAY I AM HAVEING A GREAT TIME SO GOOD LUCK TOO EVERYONE.:D

·
Registered
945 Posts
I was wondering how long before someone brought up that one bias article? Why do people believe that anything they read has got to be true?:confused:

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Didn't say it was true just interesting. In terms of believing stuff one reads, I consider who has an interest (financial or otherwise) in trying to convince people of one thing or another. Certainly in this case the manufacturers have the financial skin in the game.

With that said maybe I am missing something about the author of that article... why is he bias? Does he sell no scent spray or something?

·
Registered
57 Posts
READ THIS

Hi guys. My name is Keith and I work for Robinson Outdoors. We make Scentblocker clothing. I'm not in the sales end of it, I'm more in the operations part, and I deal with procuring the carbon, etc. Don't worry, I'm not going to try to convince anyone to buy anything, but I do want to talk about the technology. I remember when I managed the Compound Doctor Archery Pro Shop here in Minnesota many years ago when Scent-Lok first came out. I and many of my customers had our doubts then, but not any longer.. I've done a lot of the research now and spoken to the experts - the chemists and PhD's. There is no disputing the fact that carbon is still the most adsorbent material we know of to date. It does everything from filter our water to remove colors from solutions to adsorbing odor. There simply is no denying it - this is fact. Now the big question it seems to me is that this Corrigan fellow claims they might work originally, but can't be "re-activated" with the temperatures obtained by our home dryers. Well, I can try to show you all kinds of literature and research and technical data, but I am simply going to say to him "I'm not going to argue with you, I'm just telling you you're wrong". Once you understand how carbon works it gets a little easier. Carbon has the largest surface area per size of particle of just about anything. This surface area is where odor is adsorbed, and note I say ad, not "ab." It's not like a sponge, where it goes inside, the substance being adsorbed is attached to this huge surface - more like how smoke sticks to your windshield. It is held their by a physical force (Van der Waal's). This force is easily broken by temperatures that your dryer can achieve - 100 to 150 degrees. What Corrigan was referring to is the high temperature required to break the chemical bond created when carbon adsorbs things like hazardous waste, etc.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Another quote to Read

I can speak firsthand regarding Mr. Corrigan's article on scent eliminating clothing since I am part of the product development team at Scent-Lok that designs and builds these products. Our fabrics have all been through extensive and consistent lab tests AND a significant amount of field tests. Mr. Corrigan has a theory but as a good scientist, should perform testing of his theory before showing his lack of experience in this field. Unfortunately he has not done ANY research yet has made a pretty bold, but unsupported claim. A key point in the article is that in his opinion, activated carbon cannot be reactivated in a household dryer. Unfortunately, we have undeniable proof that enough regeneration occurs so that additional capacity is opened up for adsorbing human odor. We have a team of Phd's who are actively involved in the textile industry and have an enormous amount of data that shows adsorption of human odor time after time, using household dryers to regenerate fabrics. Don't let someone who is uninformed and not willing to review the facts that have been proven time and again, in the lab and in the field. We guarantee satisfaction and know that almost a half million suits are in the field working today. I would think that if this many consumers were "duped" as Mr. Corrigan suggests, there would be a long line of unhappy customers at each and every dealer across the country. But the fact is, every day we get letters and testimonials from all around the world who are experiencing big game animals, downwind in virtually every hunting situation imaginable. I personally have not been busted for over 4 years since wearing Scent-Lok products. I take no extra precautions other than keeping my suit activated and all equipment thoroughly sprayed with scent eliminator spray. You must wear a headcover, since over 30% of your odor comes from the head. Get close and go undetected!

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Not going to get into the scent loc debate but will say this if you dont use it corectly or get sloppy nothing works.

If you use normal camo, and keep it and every thing else clean you can still fool a deer.

I am on the fence and at this point feel like this. Carb suits are more forgiving than normal clothing. But if you like several differant camo like Preditor, Asat etc and dont mind the cleaning and storage dressing in the field you will not miss deer because of the no carbon clothing. Again just my opinion.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Thanks Nocontest, I was going to post my version of your explanation. I have posted it too many times. You saved my fingers.
That is what I mean when I said bias, he has only what he thinks or heard and never used any REAL scientific study. Having worked in research for 12 years in which we used carbon to remediate certain different substances, I know that what he states is wrong.
And I don't care if people use the suits or not, I do and that is all that matters to me!:D

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
I'm not connected with Scent Loc in any way other than using their product and will tell you that the stuff does work.

Last week, while hunting a make shift ground blind, I had a small 6 pt Whitetail down wind from me at less than five feet (he came in under the cover of squirrels searching for acorns). I heard him sniffing the air and turned, the buck didn't stay long after I moved and am not sure which of us was the most startled.

I am very careful about hygine and use odor eleminating soap and sprays but don't think that that is enough to fool a Whitetail at five feet without the Scent Loc.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
WOW: MY NAME IS JAMES BY THE WAY. I DID NOT MEAN TO GET AN ARGUMENT GOING. I ONLY STARTED USEING SCENT.LOK THIS YEAR . I DO AGREE THAT IF YOU TAKE THE TIME AND HAVE PATIENCE TO SPEND ON YOURSELF AND YOUR CLOTHES, LORD KNOWS I HAVE DONE THAT FOR AWHILE AND I HAVE BEEN WINDED MANY TIMES. ON SUNDAY I HAD A DOE AT 3 STEP LOOK RIGHT AT ME SHE COULD HAVE CARED LESS. BUT I STAYED STILL AND SHE LEFT. VERY EXCITING. THERE IS ALOT OF PRODUCTS THAT I WILL NOT EVEN LOOK AT. FOR EXAMPLE I ONLY USE TRAILS END #307, THAT DOE CAME RIGHT TO IT, TINKS 69, SWEAR BUY IT . BUT THAT DOES NOT MEAN IT WORKS FOR EVERYONE. BUT ANY WAY THANK EVERYONE IT IS COOL WHEN BOWHUNTERS GET TOO SHARE INFO. GOOD LUCK TO ALL. HIT-EM IN THE HEART. :D

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
nocontest

I have been using sentblocker plus clothing for 3 years now.
i have to say i was a bit sceptical at first.i'm not any more.
next to my bow this has become my #1 piece of equipment for my hunting.

I have had so many deer in the last 3 year that should have busted me.i believe they didn't because of the suit.
i do have one question,(will it hurt the suit if i use carbon blast or white lightning on the out side of it.

jes_19692

see ya in the morning bro i am ready to go kill a big one.:D

·
Registered
40 Posts
This is the same old same old... something new comes along and everyone puts it down... I actually remember when the first compound bows came out and everyone criticized the use of them... now almost all bow hunter have one.

I have used sent-lok since it first came out and feel it has given me a little edge over the normal scent control using the soaps and detergents. You can say what you want... it just leaves more bigger bucks for me...

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
I use the scent loc under garments...that way I can use any camo I want over it...that and my carbon hat/mask.
Don't know HOW well it works....but I'm betting it works better or at LEAST as well as not wearing it.

Jes....about that caps lock button....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, Ok i will quit yelling, i just get excited about it all. man i am really glad to see all the discution about sent.lok. but anyway i bagged a doe tuesday morning at 8:30. about 11 yds, slammed her.

it was great she ran about 20 yrds and fell down and then got up ran over and tried to jump the creek and looked like a olympic diver doing a belly flop it was awsome.

it was not so kool when i had to go in after her, littel wet
but hey that is hunting. the realy kool part was i was with the best hunting pard. i could ask for thanks bro.

goldeneagle- prohunter bow
carbon express arrows
rocket ultimate 100 braodheads
jimflecher release.

·
Trophy Nanny Hunter
2,448 Posts
Last fall, early Dec I think, I was at Gander Mountain and was looking at the clothing. They had a bunch of Scent Blocker Plus clothing on sale. I was pumped. I got a jacket, pants, gloves, hat and headnet for something like 160 bucks, maybe even cheaper than that. I don't recall really, my gf paid for it all :).

Anyhow...I've been using it all year. I've only heard a deer snort twice, and I don't believe either time was because they winded me. One I was in a stand and turned around carelessly and there was a deer looking right at me. A quick turn, snort and it was gone. The other time was this morning, I was lost in the woods and was stumbling around with my flashlight and spooked a deer that couldn't have been more than 10 yards from me. She snorted about 5 times and got out of Dodge. I was so ticked off because I was lost I really didn't even care about the stupid deer scaring every deer in the county :confused:.

Just this weekend I was in my stand and saw a lone doe wandering around. She was directly downwind of me, I had no scent bombs out, and I was not up very high. She wound up bedding about 40 yards from me and sat there for over an hour!

My first night out I had a group of does and fawns go out into the field and they passed me and got downwind...they never flinched. Then, a yearling buck followed them out. He got downwind of me as well, stopped and checked the wind a few times, I think he may have caught a whiff of something, but he never spooked.

This stuff works!

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
man was it a good day.jes got that doe,and it was funny to see her do a belly flop in the creek.

i'm glad i was there.

maybe my brother and i have just been lucky with the carbon clothing.i know it has helped us see more deer.i would never say that it is perfict,because it's not.

I am one of those people that like to study stuff and find out what makes it work. i had to use the clothing to believe in it.
i will say this,my dryer gets to 190 degrees. and i put my sent blocker suit in there for 30 minutes.

good hunting everyone.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
ppl .are often so easily fooled, one of the greatest scames are wheight loss formulas, pill etc. ppl. buy them because they want to belive it works.

i have been working with SAR -dogs for over 10 yrs. and i can promise you that sentblockers will NEVER make a difference in hideing your sent, and that´s something that is proven practicly.
it just wont cover your sent up so that it will make a difference at all.

the animals nose are so sensitive that hideing some of your body is not enouth.
we have tried to let ppl walk away in a divesuite that will guarateed not let anything out and dogs had NO problem finding them.

·
NAASP
15,235 Posts
nocontest

OK, so you have documented test proof. Why not show it. I remember many posts on multiple sites, but none of the proven/facts were presented to show that carbon clothing can be readly reactivated in the dryer and be how much. I do have to jackets and 1 pair of pants which are scentblocker brand. I spent large amounts of money on this stuff. IMO if one plays the wind and uses good hygene, I'm money ahead. Especially when I do not know how long this stuff will be effective.

So show me where he's wrong, your right.

I'm not saying it doesn't or can't work. It just isn't for me at the price of it.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.