Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
OK. Not real sure about Scent Lok products. I finally invested and bought some Base slayers and was looking at purchasing the SCENT TOTE to store all of my clothes in after washing them and before hunting of course. $66 at Sportsmans Guide, plus shipping. I saw they had a kit, to take a normal plastic storage container and make one yourself. It got me thinking. So off to Wally World I went.
I purchased two big totes with lockable lids. Not totally locking, but pretty good. I am planning on adding some weatherstrip to the underside of the lid and installing a $6 can of activated carbon I bought out of their fish supply isle. I will drill small holes in the lid of this plastic can and set it in the container, possibly adding some window screen under the lid in case it knocks over.
I have seen activated carbon filters on ebay and actual fish filter bags and thought maybe I could throw one or two of those in there as well. How about a $0.52 box of baking soda too while I am at it?
So far, each tote cost me $22.00 as I made 2 of them.

Any idea if this will work? Anybody do the same thing and if so, what were your results? I figured I could get at least 1 season out of the carbon jar, mixing it around every now and again and the baking soda would help too, right?

Anyhelp would help me figure out if I just wasted $44 today. Thanks guys.

·
Threat Level Midnight
851 Posts
I just use a lockable tote. I washed the inside with scent free detergent, and I occasionally spray some Scent Away spray in there on my clothes.

Sounds like you really went to town on your totes.

G

·
I am anal retentive, so I go with the Scent Tote. Can't say if it works any better than a lockable storage tote, but I do think that it will not work any worse. Do what you feel will work.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
I would think that would work good. I use a couple of the Scent Lok bags. I put my cloths in those vacuum sealing bags first and get all of the air out then put the bags in the Scent Lok bags.

·
Registered
68 Posts
i keep my scent lok suit in a small scent lok bag with nothing else in it. my regular hunting clothing i put in a rubber duffle bag and drench with baking soda every time i put clothes back in. seems to work!!! i am really getting interested in this log6.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Your thinking that's for sure. Most of those containers have holes in them at the bottom of the handles, does yours? I put each piece of clothes in their own ziplok bag and the each category in their own larger bag. One of the advantages to doing that is nothing is touched until I want to wear it. I have several sets of under wear and socks along with sweaters and outer wear which I pick from depending on what I need. Having them in their own bag keeps them as fresh as when I put them away no matter how many times I go through them. The bags of bags are also easier to transport. My bags are also seasons old and any smell they did have is long gone.

All of this is kept in a closet I built in an out building that's fairly sealed and that is where I keep things like your carbon canister. The building is also where the home wood fired boiler is, the building often smells of smoke and that smoke is a cover scent, the same exact cover scent it puts through the woods I live in. My towel for washing hangs there to dry and it smells of smoke.

Your totes are your closet, but I'd still put each piece in their own ziplok bag. The scentlok should not be washed often, 2 times a year at most and should be kept as clean as you can, only wearing it it the woods. It should also be removed from the dryer while it's still in the heating cycle and put in it's bag. You will smell a burnt odor, you want that and putting it in the bag hot keeps in the clothes. (what gets burnt in the dryer gets removed little by little everytime you wash them which is why you should only do it when they are visibly dirty) I'd also leave the new totes outside for a month or two, then use them. Let whatever falls, (natural) fall in them. The sun bleaches things good and it's as natural as it comes. Understand after seeing what happens to the totes, they will continue to absorb whatever is around them. Putting your cleaned clothes outside of their own zip bag will just get on them whatever contaminants the environment has. Nothing hardly ever enters a zip bag except what you put in it. says so right on the box, keeps things fresh.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Hey guys i bought the Hunter Specialties Bag...(not the plastic bags) but the heavy duty green bag from Bass Pro. I just bought one for $40 to get it a try. And i am very happy with it and it durability. I put my Scent-Lok garments in there plus my hat and gloves in the side compartment. and then put a cut off pine branch or oak leaves in there. you can squash alot of air out of it and it takes up less space.. I have always used the plastic totes it just takes up so much room. but i am going to buy a couple more of those bags and its even durable and heavy duty enough to put my rubber boots in..

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
I posted my other reply before i read yours..... we are on the same boat in scent control.... i thought maybe i was a little crazy but i am glad to see that i am not the only one that does this.. When i take someone else huntin with me i always watch what they do and some dont have a system of controling their scent. (I know you cant totally eliminate all of it but you can make it to where its harder for them to smell ya). here i am taking a bath before each hunt washing with a towel that is scent free and drying off with a scent free towel down to the undrewear and socks. not putting my hunting clothes on til i get to the site of where i am going to walk in at.

Your thinking that's for sure. Most of those containers have holes in them at the bottom of the handles, does yours? I put each piece of clothes in their own ziplok bag and the each category in their own larger bag. One of the advantages to doing that is nothing is touched until I want to wear it. I have several sets of under wear and socks along with sweaters and outer wear which I pick from depending on what I need. Having them in their own bag keeps them as fresh as when I put them away no matter how many times I go through them. The bags of bags are also easier to transport. My bags are also seasons old and any smell they did have is long gone.

All of this is kept in a closet I built in an out building that's fairly sealed and that is where I keep things like your carbon canister. The building is also where the home wood fired boiler is, the building often smells of smoke and that smoke is a cover scent, the same exact cover scent it puts through the woods I live in. My towel for washing hangs there to dry and it smells of smoke.

Your totes are your closet, but I'd still put each piece in their own ziplok bag. The scentlok should not be washed often, 2 times a year at most and should be kept as clean as you can, only wearing it it the woods. It should also be removed from the dryer while it's still in the heating cycle and put in it's bag. You will smell a burnt odor, you want that and putting it in the bag hot keeps in the clothes. (what gets burnt in the dryer gets removed little by little everytime you wash them which is why you should only do it when they are visibly dirty) I'd also leave the new totes outside for a month or two, then use them. Let whatever falls, (natural) fall in them. The sun bleaches things good and it's as natural as it comes. Understand after seeing what happens to the totes, they will continue to absorb whatever is around them. Putting your cleaned clothes outside of their own zip bag will just get on them whatever contaminants the environment has. Nothing hardly ever enters a zip bag except what you put in it. says so right on the box, keeps things fresh.

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,390 Posts
Hmmmm........I just throw mine into a non-sealed tote with everything else hunting related.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
The scent lock bag is crap. I bought the big one last year and wasted $80. After a year you can see little pin sized holes where the bag is cracking. So I ditched the bag and I get the XXL Zip lock bags and throw an earth scent scent waffer in it. Seems to be scent free. You get 3 bags for around $5. When sealed they are completely air tight

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
I thought all of the scent lok type clothing was proven to be a total fraud for scent control??? I stopped worrying about "reactivating" and maintaining my carbon in my suit. I just treat mine like my other clothes.....hangs outside after being washed and goes into locked totes with native grass/branches/leaves from my hunting areas.

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,390 Posts
I thought all of the scent lok type clothing was proven to be a total fraud for scent control???
No, the court just decided that the company could not prove that their products contained 100% of the scent. But, we didn't need to clog up the court system with another frivolous lawsuit to know that this was already true. I have yet to see a scent-lok suit come with an airtight bag for the head.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts