Archery Talk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There has been a lot of discussion on this and many other chat boards about the effectiveness and results of Scent-Lok and other activated carbon products. We have collected your concerns and presented them to our team for review. I personally want to thank you for all the opinions and feedback you have given us.

One thing missing out of these discussions is any information regarding our product guarantee. We have had in place a FIELD EFFECTIVE GUARANTEE that warrants performance, quality AND results. Our guarantee is unmatched in the industry and no other technology has publicly stated ANY field guarantee regarding their product…except for Scent-Lok.

Our warranty goes above and beyond normal manufacturer’s quality assurances. For several years we have guaranteed that deer and other scent sensitive big game animals will be downwind without busting you. It’s that simple. It either works or it doesn’t; and if it doesn’t Scent-Lok Technologies will refund, replace or help you with your tactics to get animals downwind consistently. We are confident in our products, the science behind them and our own field testing that we feel we can offer you this FIELD EFFECTIVE GUARANTEE. There you have it…no risk and without Scent-Lok; you don’t know what you’re missing.

There are some guidelines that you must follow to ensure success and certain steps and practices must be practiced. Please visit the link below for more information:

http://www.scentlok.com/articles/articles_detail.aspx?n=10

Or feel free to call our customer support line for more information at 800.315.5799. M-T 8:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M. EST and Fridays 8:00 A.M. to 2:00 P.M.

Or lastly PM me for any questions you might have.

Thanks again to for all your comments and thoughts. I will keep you informed if any new information becomes available.

Nick

·
Registered
559 Posts
Can you please supply one or more references from the scientific literature that demonstrate thermal desorption from activated carbon fibers?

I've looked and can't find them.

If not, how do you expect us to take you seriously?

Respectfully,

TA.

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
Could you provide the scientific evidence of scent lures (particularly those of estrus does) and their effectiveness during the prerut and rut stages? Also looking for scientific evidence that grunting is an efective tool while hunting. In addition could you also provide scientific evidence on the effectiveness of mock scrapes. Also looking for scientific info on the effectivness of...

Id like to meet all the bowhunters that demand scientific research before they use any product or strategy. They must have a serious library.

·
Registered
13,924 Posts
I am very scent conscious and use Scent-loc outerwear and I have never been busted. I love these products.

You can pm me scentlocdesign and I will give you my address for sending my endorsment check to.:wink:

·
Registered
559 Posts
grouse said:
Id like to meet the bowhunters that demand scientific research before they use any product or strategy. They must have a serious library.
Well, then I'd invite you to come over and read mine. It consists of about 50,000 pages of analytical chemistry literature.

:darkbeer:

·
Registered
438 Posts
grouse said:
Could you provide the scientific evidence of scent lures (particularly those of estrus does) and their effectiveness during the prerut and rut stages? Also looking for scientific evidence that grunting is an efective tool while hunting. In addition could you also provide scientific evidence on the effectiveness of mock scrapes. Also looking for scientific info on the effectivness of...

Id like to meet all the bowhunters that demand scientific research before they use any product or strategy. They must have a serious library.
It costs about $5 to make a scrape so it is a little easier to field test. Head to toe Scent Lok will be several hundred dollars. Plus the science that Scent Lok relies on is often disputed. It is not too much to ask of a company, to validate there product. BTW I have bought Scent Lok products before.

I have a Magic Stocking Cap that will bring in HUGE BUCKS. It is reserved for you and only cost $250! IT WORKS GREAT....promise.

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
Id be happy to peruse your literature, with a chemistry minor the odds are i'm already familiar with much of it. The point I am trying to make is that hunters are very selelctive about what they demand scientific research from. You dont see posts

"show me the science behind tinks"

"show me the science behind primos calls" I would venture to say that less than 10% of hunters have ever had a deer respond to blind calling. Yet its still used extinsively.

There are things that we use as hunters because our experience has shown us that they work.

BTW "field testing" is a lot different than scientific testing that so many are demanding.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
bbarnett51 said:
I have a Magic Stocking Cap that will bring in HUGE BUCKS. It is reserved for you and only cost $250! IT WORKS GREAT....promise.
You guarantee it will work or you'll give me a refund, provide customer support, offer to help me use it effectively AND put the aforementioned in writing, I may give it a try! :wink:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also several hundred dollars is a bit off. I just talked to customer service and the items you'd HAVE to buy from us is around $250. Not really the gigantic investment many people claim it to be.

If you add up all the other items you will need over the course of three to four seasons, that isn't that bad.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Why don't you just post some of the scientific evidence that it works when you get it home, it works a couple of weeks later, and the carbon can be recharged at reasonable drier temperatures.

If you can do this great!!!! Then at least some of us will shut up. If you can't we can probably figure out why.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
We all know it works, But and I do mean But!

It works great no doubt. That is proven via science. Proven that the carbon works great and soaks up orders like a sponge. There is were the problem lies. Carbon already filled by the time you buy the item. Cannot be recharged, other than what the average person would call extreme temp's something a consumer cannot purchase or even have done say at a professional cleaners. So does it work Yes, like a sponge as proven over and over again. Can it be recharged Yes. But where? Not sure who has a high enough temp dryer but they are not readily available and only a percentage of the garments gets recharged.

That is the main reason our armed forces and other profession's use throw away one time usage carbon suits.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
i feel if you do think it will work, why buy it them complain that it dosn't work when you really have NO hunting skills. its easy to blame not being able to sit still on scent lok or scent blocker. " he winded me even through the 300 doller suit i bought''. no he did'nt, he saw you trying to light a ciggerette or trying to take a leak out of your stand.
i use scent lok and believe in it. it works. if i do my part, the stuff will shine!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Moosekill said:
Why don't you just post some of the scientific evidence that it works when you get it home, it works a couple of weeks later, and the carbon can be recharged at reasonable drier temperatures.

If you can do this great!!!! Then at least some of us will shut up. If you can't we can probably figure out why.
I can tell you that I have tried, I have even devloped a website that is password protected showing the actual science and data. However due to a litigation we are in I cannot release it. The lawsuit doesn't have anything to do with this particular subject, it frustrates me to no end!!! :darkbeer:

Believe me I am working toward releasing the unaltered version. My hands truy are just tied.

·
Registered
559 Posts
grouse said:
Id be happy to peruse your literature, with a chemistry minor the odds are i'm already familiar with much of it.
I doubt that. :wink: With a minor in chemistry, you probably took two undergraduate general chemistry courses and two organic chemistry courses. You might have even had an introductory quantitative analysis course. What you did not take is advanced inorganic or advanced analytical chemistry, both of which, by the way, are the fields germane to the current discussion.

I am the last person in the world that will argue that activated charcoal won't adsorb molecules. In fact, activated charcoal is SO GOOD at adsorbing molecules that you can't just throw it "in the dryer" and get them off. At least, I have not seen any reliable (e.g. peer reviewed, published studies) data that suggests you can. Do I expect ScentLok to have a capable analytical laboratory established to test their claims? Yes I do. I expect any company to have research that backs up their claims. Otherwise I could just crap in a can and sell it as rose petals.

I have done a cursory search of the analytical chemistry literature to look for evidence that you can desorb from activated charcoal in any form (granular, fiber, etc) at household dryer temperatures and have not seen ONE report in the literature. Granted this is a CURSORY examination of the literature, as I have my own job to do. That's why I asked ScentLok to show me the papers that demonstrate the proof of concept. Most companies can't wait to shove data down customers' throats that demonstrate how their product is superior. Surprisingly, ScentLok does not. They have plenty of slogans and marketing, but scarcely little data.

I don't have any ScentLok because my professional opinion (by the way, I have a Ph.D. in analytical chemistry) is that it can't be regenerated the way they say it can. If they convince me, I'll go buy a suit tomorrow!

The silence from ScentLok is deafening. A "guarantee" is not data. What a guarantee does is allow fence sitters the justification to go buy a suit. Human nature will in most cases then color their perception of reality -- they have a vested interest. It's just like rebates. The percentage of people in this world that get their rebate checks is low. Much lower than the percentage that bought that product precisely because it had a rebate.

It's brilliant marketing.

So, "Cliffs Notes" version of the above diatribe is this: I am waiting to be convinced, but not holding my breath. If ScentLok CAN convince me via verifiable data that their clothing can be regenerated, I will publically and happily rethink my stance and buy a full suit.

cheers. :darkbeer:

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
:eek: TexasAggie sounds smart......... she scares me.....:behindsof

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

speed

·
Registered
438 Posts
Scent Lok is obviously a stand up company and I appreciate that. When I question the science, I do not mean any disrespect. IN FACT, I fully expected that Scent Lok would provide adequate studies that back their products.

Again I have owned a Scent Lok Savannah suit myself. It was stolen a week after I bought it so i only hunted in it two times. Not enough to form an opinion. I am certainly not trying to discredit Scent Lok.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
scent-loc

I am a fence sitter on this whole deal....I hear so much along the lines of what is being said here, that it makes it hard for me to shell out $250 or more for something that "might" help. That said, many of my hunting cohorts are firm beleivers in scent-loc, and often try to convince me. They say that they see more deer and bigger bucks since trying out the clothing and sticking to a scent control plan. My question then goes to this: Is it the clothing, or the fact that a) you are paying very close attention to scent control, and, b) you have become better hunters over the years.....I truely want to beleive, and would happily fork over the dough if someone could give me conclusive evidence that it truely works as described.

1 - 20 of 132 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.