Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering who uses these products and if they have noticed a change in the amount of deer they see?Im kinda sittin on the fence on this one not really sure what i think...thanks for any info,Clint

·
Registered
409 Posts
Carbon cloth is a joke

The fabric is great for hunting silent, and designed well for the hunter. However I don't believe the fabric blocks your scent. A hunter must control his scent through cleansiness and extreme scent control also staying downwind as much as possible.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I personally believe in the product IF used correctly. If you think that the stuff is the correct-all and no other scent control is needed you will waste your money.

To work, the product must be kept in a scent tight container when not in use. If you throw in a couple of earth scent waifers you just fill the carbon with earth scent and deplete its ability to absorb your scent.

If you wear the clothes in the house or in your vehicle on the way to your hunting site, you contaminate the outer fabric just as you would with regular camo. The outer fabric is no different that any other garment in its ability to trap, hold and release oders. The scent stopping char. is inside. It will not work long if you don't shower and control the scent on your inner clothing.

Also, it has been stated here "put an onion inside one of the suits and fluff the suit and see what you smell". The air does not go through the suit per say and will come out around the neck if you fluff it. I personally don't sit around the stand fluffing my ScentBlocker. What it does is absorb the scent you put off while on stand and contains it.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
I believe in it to the umteenth degree if used properly.. YOU MUST be clean when u use it.. freshly showed sent free EVERYTHING down to the towel u dry off with. That being said I only use my set suits for one year... then i put them in a differnt bag filled with old sent suits, that i use to "prime" the dryer when i "activate" them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
:tongue: hello fellow archers first time theader. good question. i agree that the products works if used right. you have to be scent free from the start of the day, from the shower u take to the clothes u put on ,from the food u eat if your wife can smell bacon so can the deer. don't over look the smells that u have in your truck.i dont use these products to expensive.i try to wear good color of camo,be scent free,use the wind . i've had good success.happy hunting be safe!

·
74,535 Posts
I like the stuff

It has help me hunt the bottoms more and take deer.

My good friend just returned from Colorado Elk hunting and I convinced him he should buy some and when he returned he and his brother said they had several Bulls down wind.

Many in my area use it.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
quags37 said:
if you do a search you will find tons of info and opinions about this very subject. it has just about been beaten to death actually.. there is one article that seems to be pretty good about the technical info involved, here's the link- http://www.fastestbows.com/articles/corrigan/scent_suits.htm there is also a part II if you feel like reading that as well. good luck man.

nick
that article just says it all, with facts, sentloc clothing might just be sold at TV-shop that have all the other miracle stuff.....

i have spoken my mind on this in other treads, but i cant shut up this time either, they dont do a difference, i would like to have some Sent.locs and do some fieldtests with my SAR-dogs, they would bust a Sent-loc covered person 100 times out of 100.
Spend you money on buying clothes to your wife/gf, then you will get something good out of those $$$ :)

and as said in the article, it´s a sientific fact, you need very high temperatures to re-activate activecarbon, a tumbledryer, gimme a break!

and for so many people saying that they work downwind, have you done a test with how wind actually can turn 90 degrees in no time, we did that test with a special type of smokegenerator that produce smoke that dont easily disappear so you can see it longer and you sometimes get really surprised.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
The problem with the article is that its one mans opinion. Everybody listens to one guys spew about a product and believes his every word. I threw up red flags when he was calling our fellow bowhunters stupid. I think it works when taken care of. I have had more sucess when I started wearing scentlok. Jeremy

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
WidowMaker said:
The problem with the article is that its one mans opinion. Everybody listens to one guys spew about a product and believes his every word. I threw up red flags when he was calling our fellow bowhunters stupid. I think it works when taken care of. I have had more sucess when I started wearing scentlok. Jeremy
It is not one mans word, he just says what i have learned in chemistry about active carbon, it´s a sientific fact.
How do you re-activate your sent-loc with the requered heat and still dont burn your clothes?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Carbon does absorb odors, all odors, untill the carbon is full. Carbon starts absorbing odors the second it comes out of a sealed container. So the second the suit goes on the rack in the store it is absorbing odors. Therefore, it has to be darn close to full of odors by the time you get it home. This is why scent loc tells you to recharge the stuff in the drier before you use it.

Now numerous chemists have come on here and said, over, and over, and over again, that to recharge carbon to any degree, you need to bring it to a temperature that is much higher than your home drier will ever atain. High enough in fact that it would burn up the clothing the carbon is in. Furthermore, I have read here that the amount of carbon used in the suits is so small that it can't possibly absorb all the scent you are producing.

If recharging the carbon doesn't work, then the scent blocking part of the scent loc suit won't work as soon as the carbon is full. Now as someone said above, if you like the design, or the feel, or the non-scent blocking properties of the scent loc clothes, and don't mind paying extra to get a function that will only work for a little while, if ever, than go ahead and buy it.

PS... I have looked at these posts over and over again, and I have never seen anyone contradict any of these points with anything scientific whatsoever.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I see plenty of deer without it but then again, I haven't used it so I guess maybe I would see more if I did. That being said, I don't get busted very often so I don't know how much it would really help...I will say this...to me I don't think it's worth the money they want for it as long as I can fill the freezer without it.

·
Matt R
2,113 Posts
At our Gander Mtn. store, they have a test piece of carbon cloth. You scratch and sniff a very strong perfume, then cover it with the carbon cloth and you cannot smell a thing through it. I realize this is not a deers sense of smell, but it is undeniable that it helps, and any extra advantage I can find goes into the woods with me!

·
Registered
16,024 Posts
I have been using scent loc for the last few years but I can't exactly say it has made any difference for me. I have always seen and shot deer in the past before I tried it, and I have with it????

·
Classifieds Administrator
39,215 Posts
I have a Scentblocker suit and I feel any advantage over a whitetails nose is worth it. However you must practice good hygiene regardless of wearing a carbon suit or not. I beleive in it.

·
Banned
2,045 Posts
Boys take a look at X-Scents, no Carbon!! Silver really works!!

Plenty of facts

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
I dont know how much it helps, on a recent trip to Wyoming I had a scent=lok liner suit and a scent lok leafy suit over that, DEER STILL SMELLED ME, I think playing the wind is key, anything else is just pissing in it...

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
I think that it doesn't make any noticeable difference for me. I have shot plenty of deer downwind from me without scentlock. Never noticed more deer when using scentlock. I think that the MENTAL advantage it can give a hunter is real, confidence is important. The most important thing is to have a strict scent control regimen, know the wind and hunt as high as possible.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts