Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering some sort of scent control liner system for this year. What are anyones opions of these products. X-scent seems to be much more cash friendly...wonder if it works? appreciate any info.

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. Lots here on AT will tell you it's a waste of money. I disagree. If you shop around, you can get scent control gear and a decent price and decent quality stuff.

I use scent blocker and NoScent stuff. Most of my stuff is water proof and decent quality. I think the carbon works to a degree. I don't think it will make you 100% scent free, but I think it dampens your scent. What I mean is that that big buck your after may think your 250 yards away and you may only be 25 yards waiting for him to turn broadside. :wink:

Good luck this year.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I use all the above. If anything gives me an advantage I want to take it.

XScent products seem to work pretty well did the wear them for a few days and smell test. I have used my scentblocker stuff for a long time and just bought a new one for this year.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Scent lok or Scent blocker coupled with x-scent or ab-scent. I agree, a lot of people make the arguement the activated carbon suits can't be fully reactivated so don't buy it. Who says if has to be "fully reactivated" to work? That article on the fastest bows website is putting carbon suits down, and one of their soponsers is X-scent, go figure.

·
Registered
786 Posts
X-scent is more of a base layer than a scent containment system. It is supposed to kill odor causing bacteria. The activated carbon suits absorb the scent, prevening it from escaping into the atmosphere. Coupled together, that is a good scent elimination system. As for which is better, scent-lok or scent-blocker, they act on the same principle and are probably equally effective.

If I had to choose either X-scent or Activated Carbon, I would choose AC all day. Just my opinion.

Please note that this is not a "does scent-lok/blocker,etc work?" thread. It is questions about products so please don't say "You don't need all that crap just play the wind" Thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
Last year was the first time I have used activated carbon clothing. I bought the Scent-Lok Savannah series coveralls for about $145 at Academy. I got it big enough so I could put some heavier weight clothing underneath. I live in South Louisiana and hunt here and SW MS so it's never below freezing for too long. I wore it everytime I went hunting except once and that time was lesson enough. 4 different does blew at me throughout the evening.

I was concerned about cost. That's why i went with the coveralls. Separate shirt and pants would have been more and if you wanted thicker garments then you would be cooking here during bow season. I hoped that helps

jude

·
Registered
786 Posts
I agree with jude. I can tell countless times when I know my scent-lok helped. The 9 pt. I shot last year was directly downwind from me just before he got waxed. This doesn't mean scentlok and the others are fool proof. I am very very cautious of the wind and my scent control routine (scent killer soap, spray, etc). I do think they give an added advantage, and are worth every penny. I just bought a new scentlok dakota fleece last year, and I like it. If i were to buy a new suit this year (and I still might) I think I would buy the scentblocker Dream Season. My buddies both bought a lightweight scentblocker suit at walmart for about $160, but we can't seem to find it advertised in cabelas or basspro...

·
Registered
913 Posts
Personally, I don't think anything can defeat the nose of a bear, elk or whitetail. I do, however, wear X-scent and think it is the greatest thing ever! Will it beat your quarry's nose? Who cares?!!! I can wear my X-scent socks for five days straight during early season and still not be able to smell them! Another added bonus is that they really wick moisture away from your skin.

Jim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts