Archery Talk Forum banner

Scent Smoker System (clothing)

1059 9
Has anybody ever used this system (Scent Smoker System) as a scent
elimanation while hunting. if so how do ya think it works?

Here is the link to the web site:
http://www.scentsmoker.com/
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
3,555 Posts
do a search on it, there was quite a few threads on it from last season on it. there are a ton of opinions about it. Some favor it & have success & some don't. Maybe it be favorable pending how u apply it also, if u didn't before u leave to hunt, then your vehicle will have that smell for a while and wifey may have your tail, but if u do it at the woods prior to going in, maybe ok & pack ur clothes in a bag. Just alot of options & whether u want to smell like smoke or not.

· That's a bear track!
29,022 Posts
Some of my hunting clothes still has the odor from the smoker from last November. It's fun to use and you can smoke any and all of your gear with it. Inside and outside of boots, coveralls, hair, bow/gun etc..

Did see where someone mentioned you could oversmoke yourself...curious as to what others think on that.

· Registered
184 Posts
I have one but I just can't get the chips to light and stay lit. No matter how much or little pumping I do, they go out before I have a chance to smoke anything. What's the secret?

· That's a bear track!
29,022 Posts
Throw a few chips in the smoker, light with torch, pump bellows and get those burning, throw in a few more chips. Good for ten minutes of heavy smoke.

· Registered
50 Posts
I have one but I just can't get the chips to light and stay lit. No matter how much or little pumping I do, they go out before I have a chance to smoke anything. What's the secret?
Dmax

It's a little tricky to learn the process at first. I started using the Scent Smoker last season with good results.

I think part of the challenge is to use somewhat dryer woodchips to get the fire started. I've left a few out of my coffee can to let them dry out some. I light them with a regular torch. Keep the torch on them until you have a good fire going that keeps going on its own. Takes a couple of minutes. I don't pump the bellows at all at this point. Once the fire is going good, I let it sit on the ground for a couple of minutes and burn while I finish dressing. This gets a good bed of coals in there. I then throw on another handful of chips and put out the flame. I then start pumping the belows and the smoke will really roll then. Really green woodchips are about impossible to light. May want to put some dry leaves in there also to aid in lighting.

I'm not sure you can really oversmoke your stuff. Never had a situation whereas the deer were spooked from the smell. More curious than anything.

Here's some more info from the smoker folks:

http://www.scentsmoker.com/dir.html

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.