Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 144 Posts

· Registered
3,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I don't really understand how this proves scentlok doesn't work. The dog is trailing where the person walked while he was wearing rubber boots. Seems to me it proves that wearing rubber boots does not cover your scent like people thought. Please explain how this proves scentlok doesn't work. This is not a discussion about wether or not scentlok works. I simply want some to explain how the bloodhound test proves that it doesn't work.

· Banned
5,066 Posts
I use it because I want to, and I dont care what anyone else thinks. If you like it then buy it, if you dont then dont. I think it is a tool like all the other things we use for scent control I feel that it aids in helping me control my scent so I will use it. Do I think it completely eliminates scent well heck no, does it help I think it does therefore I will continue to use it.

· save the decoys!!!!!!!!!!
7,037 Posts
one of these days some of you will finally figure out scent lok was something you bought that does NOT work....
keep spending your money on for now though........great idea

· Registered
10,406 Posts
one of these days some of you will finally figure out scent lok was something you bought that does NOT work....
keep spending your money on for now though........great idea
I think that most have figured that out....and now just tries to justify price they paid for the stuff.... for being well made.:wink:

· Banned
5,066 Posts
I think that most have figured that out....and now just tries to justify price they paid for the stuff.... for being well made.:wink:
I dont care if you think its crap. I like it therefore I buy it and I dont need to justify that at all. I have never paisd full price for any of the clothes I own. Is everything I buy scent lok/ blocker no but when I come across a good deal on it I buy it.

· Registered
129 Posts
I bought a new scent lock suit this year because it was the only one I could get the camo I wanted in. When I put on the headcover I noticed that I could not blow my grunt call thru it. So my thought is if restricts air flow like that, then it probably also resticts some smell, from getting out. If it does then that is a plus for me. just an opinion.

· Registered
5,351 Posts
A bloodhound following a trail he was given scent for. The dog probably traveled in the car with the person and knows the persons scent. If the dog was walking through the woods and came across the scent he would be much less likely to Identify it then he would after given the scent to follow. He could easily followed a scent trail that the person making the trail and the tracking person never knew was there. If the dog is familier with the person the experiment doesn't hold up. You never know what scent that dog was following. Now if you made a trail and walked the dog across it and the dog alerted without being given an original scent to follow then I'd feel the test was more accurate. Wether SL works or not I don't know. But I will continue to use it just in case it does.

· Registered
975 Posts
I am not a big believer of it. But I think it would help. It does not eliminate all human odor, but I think it helps. But so does a lot of things and you don't have to spend a fortune to do it. The cost is nuts! I have had big bucks come down wind of me and not smell me and I was not wearing any kind of scent blocker etc. If I had been, I would have been a believer that it is why they did not smell me.

· Registered
10,406 Posts
I dont care if you think its crap. I like it therefore I buy it and I dont need to justify that at all. I have never paisd full price for any of the clothes I own. Is everything I buy scent lok/ blocker no but when I come across a good deal on it I buy it.
Don't get your thongs in a bind:wink:.no where in my post did i use the word crap....i said stuff....not even close to being spelled the same.:wink:

· Bow Only
9,594 Posts
You missed an important detail. He started out by giving the dog a scent of a SHIRT. The boots have nothing to do with it.
.Yah but, what if you DONT give the animal any scent trail to follow. Before I go afield i dont give a deer a shirt to smell and say "look out for this scent"

So what happens if you give the dog NO item to get a scent from....

· Bow Only
9,594 Posts
I use it because I want to, and I dont care what anyone else thinks. If you like it then buy it, if you dont then dont. I think it is a tool like all the other things we use for scent control I feel that it aids in helping me control my scent so I will use it. Do I think it completely eliminates scent well heck no, does it help I think it does therefore I will continue to use it.

Amen...Ill do what I do.

· Registered
634 Posts
I bought a new scent lock suit this year because it was the only one I could get the camo I wanted in. When I put on the headcover I noticed that I could not blow my grunt call thru it. So my thought is if restricts air flow like that, then it probably also resticts some smell, from getting out. If it does then that is a plus for me. just an opinion.
Yeah, but I doubt you could blow your grunt call through the fabric of your blue jeans, however, those blue jeans wouldn't stop the toxic fumes of a taco bell induced fart ripping through the seams would they? i'm just saying...:wink:

· Registered
996 Posts
.Yah but, what if you DONT give the animal any scent trail to follow. Before I go afield i dont give a deer a shirt to smell and say "look out for this scent"

So what happens if you give the dog NO item to get a scent from....
The point is that it DOES NOT HIDE YOUR SCENT. It doesn't matter what scent. The dog is trained to track a specific scent and the Scentlock did not prevent it. A deer detects unnatural odors....bad breath, food, smoke, perspiration, etc. If Scentblock does not block this than it does not work.

· Registered
8,137 Posts
I don't really understand how this proves scentlok doesn't work. The dog is trailing where the person walked while he was wearing rubber boots. Seems to me it proves that wearing rubber boots does not cover your scent like people thought. Please explain how this proves scentlok doesn't work. This is not a discussion about wether or not scentlok works. I simply want some to explain how the bloodhound test proves that it doesn't work.
I'm no expert, but lately, I've been doing tons of research/reading on the subject of scent trailing to train a dog, and it doesn't take much reading to learn that the dog in the video wasn't simply following the scent lost by the rubber boots. Dogs (and deer) smell things on the molecular level that we humans can't even comprehend with our noses. Your assertion that the dog is only following "the rubber boots" is wrong. As we walk along, all kinds of scent falls off of us (clothes, skin, hair, etc) and the guy was obviously leaving a hell of a lot of scent because the dog had zero problem following the trail. Even if the guy was encased in shrink-wrap, some scent would get thru and the dog would find it, so if 100% shrink-wrap won't contain it, thinking that a thin piece of clothing with a smattering of carbon powder will stop the scent is wishful thinking at best.

Nobody cares if pro-SL guys want to spend their money on the clothing, just don't expect the rest of the world to share your zeal, especially when science has shown that, even if SL carbon will absorb some scent, you can't (as SL claims) regenerate it without incinerating the fabric.

Any garment I've seen with SL has always looked like a quality piece of clothing, so even though it doesn't work to contain scent, at least your left with some camo gear that will last for several seasons. :thumbs_up

· Registered
494 Posts
Scent Loc suits are just another hyped up product that proves PT Barnum correct. There is no doubt in my mind that they provide some sort of scent reducing capability just by the nature of the fact that they cover your skin. But really nothing more than any other tightly woven thick fabric would do. In order to reactivate the charcoal suit, you would have to put it in a high temperature commercial dryer - something most folks won't use on a daily basis.

While in the Air Force we trained several times a year in "Chem Warfare Gear" which included a charcoal suit like Scent Loc. You could wash and dry those things till the cows came home and they still stunk.

Save your money and take a bath!! :thumbs_up

1 - 20 of 144 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.