Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering what anyone else uses, and at what point in the season you find them most effective. I usally just use Tinks Red Fox Pee on my boots and Scent Away on myself and try to hunt where there's deer. I think that I have scared more deer away trying to use calls. I did bring in a nice buck with a Tarsal Gland once. What do you all use, if anything.

·
74,535 Posts
DG87 Grunt call Haydell

Has help me harvested more bucks than any other item I have.

Grunted this one in running to my stand last year. I was blowing so hard on it that it sounded almost like a duck call but it turned him on the run to me.

This call been on the market for so many years.

I carry a primos doe bleat call also in case the big boy doesnt come, I try and call the doe. I only grunt when bucks in sight, your right often they will spot you.

Attachments

·
Registered
801 Posts
For the past two years I have used code blue products, and a doe decoy, or a doe and buck decoy. I start using scent during the last week of the season, which ends around the 11th of November. During that time I hunt scrapes and rubs. I make a mock scrape and drip some donimant buck urine in it and some doe estrus in it. I then run a double drag all over the area I am hunting. I basically do two figure 8's with the decoys at the middle. This has worked the best for me in the last two years.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Hmm

I have had success with Can Calls - deer literally coming straight to it. Grunt calls as well.

Rattling only minimally - to the point that I rarely carry horns.

Scents... May or may not do anything but I use racoon pee on the tree I am in, probably in my head but so is confidence so what the heck.

I also really like Buck Stop 200 estrus scent. there are others that seem better but I have had a number of deer over the years clearly react positively to that stuff.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts