Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone going to use a scent opening day?? Anything other that Dear Dander??

·
Straight Shooter
5,653 Posts
I will be using Kirschner's curiosity on a drag Saturday morning, then hang it 10 yards from the base of my tree. It worked last year on a young 6 pt. that I chose not to shoot, and on several other deer early in the season.

I usually use it for the first couple weeks, then start mixing in Trailmaker, then by the end of October/early Nov. I start using some type of doe in heat, usually Silvertop. Kirschner's scents have worked for me in the past, never spooked deer (like others have), and he's a fellow Pennsylvanian, even if he is from the Pittsburgh area:wink:

And no, I have no affiliation with the company. I just like to use what I trust and what I know first hand, works.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I have tried Kirschners the last two years without any luck. I am hunting a new area with more deer this year so i may give it another shot. I also picked up some "Real Scent" from a guy near Mifflintown, PA.

Do you use Kirschners gel or liquid?

·
Registered
190 Posts
I try not to use any deer scents until about the middle or third week in October. I'll be scent-free (as much as possible) in the stand in 3C on Saturday AM.

·
Straight Shooter
5,653 Posts
Joe,

Funny you should ask......I've only used the liquid in past hunting seasons, however, this past weekend at midday(as scent proofly as I hunt) I took a jar of the gel out and put around my first day stand (assuming a west wind) and actually used it to make a mock scrape too. Never had too much luck with the mock scrapes in the past, but I thought I'd give it another try with something new.

·
Super Moderator
22,689 Posts
The only scent I'll be using is a cover scent. I won't be using any attractants till mid to late October if anything... Just too early in my opinion. The only cover scent I MIGHT use is a little dab of **** urine to mask what little scent I'll let go when walking into my stand location. Good luck! 3 days to go!

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
No attraction scents here. I did drag some trails a week ago with Trail's End mixed with real vanilla extract. It has worked in the past. I will NOT scent anything again for a few weeks yet. It's purely stealth mode for me for now.

Good luck, everyone!

·
Registered
784 Posts
PAKraig said:
Joe,

Funny you should ask......I've only used the liquid in past hunting seasons, however, this past weekend at midday(as scent proofly as I hunt) I took a jar of the gel out and put around my first day stand (assuming a west wind) and actually used it to make a mock scrape too. Never had too much luck with the mock scrapes in the past, but I thought I'd give it another try with something new.

I am thinking for scrapes the gel would probably work better. Unfortunately i was trying to use it in scent bombs and it just didnt work well. Last year i switched to the liquid and will probably stick with it in the scent bombs.

·
Straight Shooter
5,653 Posts
Regardless, good luck to you Joe. Let me know how you make out. Just stay out of Perry County:wink: ......there's no deer up there anyway:embara:

Kraig

·
Registered
784 Posts
hehe, i have hunted a little in Perry County and currently hunt right along the Perry/Cumberlan Border.

Good luck to you too!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts