Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My name is Dan Whisler and I am a science teacher/coach (Sterling, KS) and need guidance in getting a school archery unit started, please. Our junior high PE teacher asked me today if I would be willing to help her teach an archery unit before school is out, so I would like ask AT members for your help. As my interest in archery/bowhunting started my soph. year in PE when we did an archery unit (I shot my first buck with a bow as a senior), I know this is a great opportunity to show youth how much fun target shooting can be and want to help them get started right. I am hoping maybe a more formal program might grow out of interest from this unit. I am not, however, familiar with any of the school programs available today. I have seen NASP advertised, but that is about all I know at this point.

If you have helped start or assisted with a school archery program, I would be interested in hearing from you regarding things to be sure to do or not do; if you know of specific programs I should take a look at I would welcome those suggestions, too. Any ideas/assistance you could provide in getting me started in the right direction would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! Dan

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! I had taken a quick look at that site, but missed the curriculum info. Has anyone had any luck with getting local businesses to help support/ sponsor the school programs? I don't anticipate us building it to the point of traveling to any tournaments for a while (maybe later?), but to have PE classes shooting and maybe an organized archery club would be a good start. I will keep reading...

· Registered
1,732 Posts
I know these days its hard for anyone to give up some cash, but maybe a 3d shoot/fundraiser, help from the local bow shop to get the word out, a spaghetti dinner, etc., etc. $3,000 shouldnt be to hard to raise. I would think you could get some local sponsers just like a ball team. Have the kids help if possible. Good luck with this!

· Registered
793 Posts
I took it upon myself to get it going in my PE classes. I got funding through a 21st century grant from our school and through Wisconsin Bowhunters....each contributed half to get our program going. I spread the word to the surrounding schools and we got enough teachers together to get certified. I've been teaching it in my PE classes for 3 years now....actually just finished the unit about a week ago.
Local clubs and conservation organizations are the way to go as far as funding.....shouldn't take much. Local NWTF, Whitetails unlimited, QDM chapters. I have an after school club planned for next fall as well.....my biggest problem with the club will be securing space to shoot after school, so my only option might be before school which will be like pulling teeth to get kids to come in before school, but if they really want to shoot they'll come:shade:.

· Registered
582 Posts
try contacting a bow company about donating bows to your school i know mathews is pretty good about this they gave one of our local shops that dont even deal with mathews 5 bows to use for the 4H group. im not sure if many of the other companies do these kinds of things

· Registered
1,048 Posts
give our divisison of wildlife a call.ohio s odnr is a big sponser an gives money for schools to get started .i am a coach for our 6th grade team they finnished 3rd in the state shoot this year int was the first year shooting going to louisville in may for the national nasp shoot.you can raise a lot of money by having your own tournments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.