Archery Talk Forum banner

scoliosis... is it still safe to shoot?

9599 Views 18 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  kg4tyr
i was recently diagnosed with a mild dextroscoliosis, i just wanted to know if there are any medical professionals here who can give me advice on whether is it still safe for me to shoot without woresening my scoliosis.

i consulted two doctors already but they gave two different opinions. the other one said i should stop shooting and the other said it won't do any harm. kinda confused here...

any advice?

by the way, i'm 24 years old

thanks guys
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
10,965 Posts
Welcome to AT!! I am not doctor, but i'll give you my 2 cents:) I would enjoy as many things as you can. As long as it doesn't hurt when you do it. I have had 2 back surgeries. I am NOT comparing the 2. I am just saying that I can still do it! Also, another idea may be to shoot a lower poundage bow! May be easier on your body.Good luck to you and let us know how your doing.God bless:)

DJ

· Registered
12,613 Posts
I was diagnosed with Scoliosis when I was 8 years old. I wore an orthoplastic jacket for the next 8-10 years. I was supposed to wear it longer but told them I wasn't interested. I got my first "real" bow about a month after I was diagnosed. Been an archery addict ever since with no consequences. Shoot away as long as it isn't bothering you physically. One thing I was told when I gave up the Orthoplastic jacket is being physically active and getting excercise would help considerably.

· Registered
26 Posts
I too have a scoliosis, and it causes me some mild problems from time to time. Stiffness, soreness, mild to moderate pain-nothing really severe.

I am also a chiropractor, and receive regular care to keep me going. A regimen of exercises to strengthen and stabilize your spine would probably be a good idea. That usually helps to limit the progression of the curvature. However, you should check with your doctor first.

You can usually participate in any activities unless you are limited by pain.

P.M. me if you would like to visit some more about this. Perhaps I could give you some ideas on what to do.

· Registered
2,073 Posts
I was also diagnosed with scoliosis when I was a kid. I will be 61 next month and it hasn't gotten in the way of me doing anything. It was brought on by having one short leg. They tried putting me in special shoes, but they were a pain, literally. I found it easier to just walk on a slope with the short leg on the uphill side.:D :D

Mike

PS. In highschool I could do the 100 yard dash in 10.2 seconds. I wouldn't let them scare you.

· Registered
3,529 Posts
i have a friend who has it pretty severe. She would be a full 2 inches taller if she had the surgury as a teenager. She is an aerobics instructor and a few years back competed in fitness competitions. It never held her back. She always said that the weight training kept her back strong. You might consider some specific excercises to help with archery.

· Registered
338 Posts
Scoliosis and archery

There is absolutely no reason why you should not participate in any activity you enjoy. Scoliosis is a curvature and rotation of the spine not some dreaded fatal disease. As others have said above exercise is good, not detrimental. What was the reason that the physician that told you to quit archery gave you for it being a problem? What was his medical specialty? Can he show you a scientific study that shows that archery caused progression of a curve? ( I don't think so.):rolleyes:
Enjoy life!
Tom

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
actually he is a she, she told me that lifting weights and other activies that concerns the back will worsen the curvature, though she didn't elaborate on this.

kinda confused lately, however, after some advice from the good people here, i decided to continue shooting.

thanks a lot man

· Registered
209 Posts
Here are my personal experiences:

My mom was diagnosed later in life with scoliosis, which was also associated with ostioporosis. The doctor put her on a weightlifting routine to build bone strength, and to also build the muscles in her back to slow down the rate of curvature. There has been a complete turn around in her life and she is now more active and healthier than ever.

I was diagnosed with mild scoliosis when I joined the military in 1992. I was allowed to join but denied jump school. I have been in now for 12 years, and after a routine life of exercise, my back is as strong as ever, some minor back pain after long ruck marches, but nothing debilitating. It seems that working the right muscles, but not powerlifting, and keeping your weight down to match your height are the keys to staying healthy and maintaining an active life while dealing with scoliosis.

· Registered
494 Posts
Dextroscolosis

Tumorwarrior,
I am a Chiropractor and I have seen quite a few patients with your diagnosis. Most of been on the mild side and were very treatable patients. They have lived normal lives, however, they generally have a greater chance of experiencing mid and lower back pain. The two severe cases I have seen had Harrington Rods installed on the Thoracic (mid back) and Lumbar (low back) spine. The more severe patient usually has had surgery at a young age and the installation of the rod will limit the continuation of the Scoliosis. The main problem with Scoliosis; the more your spine curves, the more it affects the function of your major organs. Not so much your ability to function or shoot a bow. With that beings said, you stating that you curve was mild! I would tend to say that is should not be a problem, however, I would not begain to try and tell you exactly what you need to do without first seeing your x-rays, measuring your curve or curves, and doing a physical exam! Hope I have shead some light on the subject!!!

· Registered
2,584 Posts
I have the condition as well and it did cause lower back pain for quite some time. I began pulling a bow with the off hand. I shoot left so I began pulling right. Not shooting just pulling a right hand bow with the poundage turned down. The back pain was less frequent after about 5 years. After about 5 more years it has become almost never that I have to go through a bout with back pain. When it does come back a series of Chiropractor treatments speeds the recovery greatly. I'm 65 yrs old an shoot an 82# bow comfortably? Shortening my draw has put my shooting form into a position where I am very upright when I shoot. I think that is important also.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks for all your advice guys, I set my draw weight at 42# and it seems that i'm goin to do just fine with that. no pains anymore :) i think i'll have to keep that poundage for a while. i'm also doing some weights exercise and i think it is helping a lot.

another happy archer was just reborn through archery talk.

· Registered
725 Posts
Scoliosis my whole life + 1 extra vertebrae

Active for many years in archery, softball, bowling and hunting, not to mention other activities.

Never had a problem!!!!

Now at 47 years old, I hurt all over, BUT would not say that scoliosis had anything to do with it.

Just age and a lazy lifestyle :D :D

My opinion, KEEP SHOOTING AND STAY ACTIVE, YOU WILL FEEL BETTER LONGER :cool: :) ;) :p

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.