Archery Talk Forum banner

scope choice?

383 Views 3 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  Kill Shill
This weekend I saw my first animal/3D.
My son and I liked it very much.

I am a Fita Indoor and Fita Field shooter, but next year I want to shoot also animal/3D.

I use a 35mm scope and a micro peep.
But i think i got a to small size of scope and peep.

What kind of scope with one pin you would recommend and what peep size.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Banned
3,222 Posts
specialty archery makes a peep with changeable apertures. Your wyes and lens power can effect it too. If i was going to take a bet on a papeep size that would be best for most for 3D would be 3/32".35mm scope is fine if your comfortable with it. You could go bigger. there are guys shooting smaller scopes.

· aka "5 Spot"
9,767 Posts
This weekend I saw my first animal/3D.
My son and I liked it very much.

I am a Fita Indoor and Fita Field shooter, but next year I want to shoot also animal/3D.

I use a 35mm scope and a micro peep.
But i think i got a to small size of scope and peep.

What kind of scope with one pin you would recommend and what peep size.
Most of the folks around here that use a scope for 3D use a 1 3/4" (approx 42 mm). In regards to the size of the peep, that will vary a lot with your bow's axle to axle length and your draw length. While it would require a little cash outlay up front, I'd highly suggest the following:

If you bow has less than a 40" A2A
http://www.lancasterarchery.com/sho...=2161&osCsid=efa7a49ef02549be28ec45b785311136

If your bow has more than a 40" A2A
http://www.lancasterarchery.com/sho...=2165&osCsid=efa7a49ef02549be28ec45b785311136

This will allow you to perfectly match your peep to your scope. As time progresses and you decide to shoot "spots", you'll likely find that you'll want a smaller scope. With this peep kit, it's just a matter of removing one aperture and installing another - no press, no reserving.

And once your eyes start to fail you, you might even find the need for either a verifier or clarifier - again just screw out the aperture and replace it with the same size that has a lens.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.