Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if there are specific threading for scopes and the sight bar. (depending on manufacturer). Axcel's website did nothing to help me. :zip: So, I am hoping to get some suggestions for a scope that would be compatible with an Axcel bar. Figure if I'm going to drop the cash on the bar, might as well get a good scope to go with it...

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
345 Posts
they are all 10/32 now. I like my specialty archery scope and lens, also sure loc is fantastic but $$$$. Viper makes a great scope and at a great price too. Can't go wrong with any of them.

Good luck,

Coop

·
Electified Archer
3,275 Posts
I have an exreme scope on one and a black eagle on another. Both are 10/32 threads.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've heard good things about Sure Loc/Black Eagle, but are they really worth the price tag? What is the difference between a Sure Loc and the Viper/Specialty Archery/Extreme Scope ones Construction, durability, customer service, warranty...?

Just really wanting to know if another $300 is worth it. Any reviews on any scope is always appreciated. :wink:

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I use a Sure-Loc Black Eagle with my Axcel and I LOVE it. It is very clear andthe anti glare coating on the Swarovski Lenses is awesome. They are a little pricey but they are worth it in my opinion.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Black Eagle is hard to beat. If you keep your eye open you can usually find one listed on AT in the low $200's. That's not cheap but great scope. I have mine on a sur-loc bar but my son has one on an Axcel bar and it fits perfectly. PM me if you need any more info. Good luck, George

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you everyone for all of the suggestions... I know what I will be busy researching tonight. :D

George, I've heard that Sure-Loc's bearings (or maybe it's bushings? ) start to come loose/rattle? Sorry :eek: I'm still new to archery, and this whole bar and scope thing is a different beast...

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I have a classic scope and I like it. I never realized how massive the scopes are on a target bow but I realized it. When you put a small scope way out there its micro and to try to center that in your peep with be impossible. I love my new axcel. I got it yesterday and a 6x was a little to much for my 1/4" peep so I am getting a new peep this weekend.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
I have two Classics, a Viper and a CR Apex.

The Classics are hard to beat if you are going to use a fiber optic pin with their fiber guard. Those go on my 3D bow.

The CR Apex with the Feather Vision Verde Lens is probably the best scope for the money. I use the smaller version of this one with a bispectral dot for Field and Indoor. Very underrated scope.

The Viper isn't bad for the money, but I think the CR trumps it.

If you want to spend a little more coin, pick up the Classic, if you want a great scope at a reasonable price, pick up the CR Apex.

·
Registered
156 Posts
george
Thank you everyone for all of the suggestions... I know what I will be busy researching tonight. :D

George, I've heard that Sure-Loc's bearings (or maybe it's bushings? ) start to come loose/rattle? Sorry :eek: I'm still new to archery, and this whole bar and scope thing is a different beast...
If that was my post you were referring to the only issue I've had is the knob that holds the 3'd axis block will vibrate loose occasionally so I always check everything every few shots to assure that nothing has loosened up. Even my b-stingers will vibrate loose occasionally. Good luck with your search, George

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Im using an Specialty Pro XL scope with a Black Eagle lens screwed into it (best of both for scope/lens).

CR, Extreme, and Viper all make decent affordable scope/lens. Sometimes its better to start here, then once you know what you'll want (power, size, etc) put the money into a better glass.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Im using an Specialty Pro XL scope with a Black Eagle lens screwed into it (best of both for scope/lens).

CR, Extreme, and Viper all make decent affordable scope/lens. Sometimes its better to start here, then once you know what you'll want (power, size, etc) put the money into a better glass.
Thanks! I think I will take your advice and tinker around with the cheaper stuff first, before I buy the big-girl stuff. :D

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
I have two Classics, a Viper and a CR Apex.

The Classics are hard to beat if you are going to use a fiber optic pin with their fiber guard. Those go on my 3D bow.

The CR Apex with the Feather Vision Verde Lens is probably the best scope for the money. I use the smaller version of this one with a bispectral dot for Field and Indoor. Very underrated scope.

The Viper isn't bad for the money, but I think the CR trumps it.

If you want to spend a little more coin, pick up the Classic, if you want a great scope at a reasonable price, pick up the CR Apex.
The CR Apex Scope and Feather Vision glass is hard to beat. Very good quality products and a little cheaper than the high-end stuff. Lots of good shooters use them. Money isn't always everything.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Center drilled pin or up pin, or does it not matter for target?

Housing? 1 3/4" or 1 3/8" does that 1/8" make a huge difference?

Looking at a Viper, Apex, Specialty and Extreme.... lol, kind of have to narrow it down.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts

Looking at a Viper, Apex, Specialty and Extreme.... lol, kind of have to narrow it down.
Out of those 4 I would go with the Apex followed closely by the specialty. I do think the 1/8" makes a difference. I would get the small housing, it will allow you some more clearance and I really don't think the loss of field of view makes a difference.

I prefer an up pin for 3d and a dot on the lens for anything else.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Out of those 4 I would go with the Apex followed closely by the specialty. I do think the 1/8" makes a difference. I would get the small housing, it will allow you some more clearance and I really don't think the loss of field of view makes a difference.

I prefer an up pin for 3d and a dot on the lens for anything else.
Thanks for you suggestions. Could you give a reason behind your pin preference for 3D and target? In my mind, I guess, I would have thought it would be exactly the opposite. I acknowledge everyone has their own preference, but seeing as I've never shot FITA before... I'd just like some more insight. :) Thanks.

·
Registered
4,586 Posts

Go with the smaller scope. I've used one since I started shooting and have been able to see whatever I wanted to see on a target.

As far as a pin, that really becomes a personal thing. On my 3D bow, I have a down pin. I slowly lower the bow down from above the target and having a down pin allows me to see the entire target before I settle the pin on it. I don't have to worry about losing sight of my aiming point behind a pin and then having to reacquire it later.

I'm currently using my 3D bow for my Field duties. I gotta make some changes to the Field bow and haven't been able to do so yet. However, when I get back to it, I think I am gonna try a circle on the lens. I think I have been subconsciously looking for the dot and have to move the bow to see it before I release the arrow. I want to try the circle so all I gotta do is line them up and let them eat.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts