Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya,
I know there are several parameters at play here btw personal choice, your own eye sight, experience etc... but curious what lens magnification are mostly used for 50m

Personally I use a x4 which I find a good compromise btw magnifying a bit and not too hard to keep in the gold either.

Curious on what lens x others are using and why?

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
With me, it has to do with the eyes. I used a 4x until I became 60. For the last 11 years, I have used a 6X in order to see the target. My best scores were shot with pins before I was 45. I just had laser surgery on my eyes and as soon as they heal, I will try pins again or maybe go back to a 4x lens.

The higher the power, the easier to see the target. But the higher the power, the more blurry the target and the more movement seen. 4x is a good choice but there are many advantages to using a pin instead if you can see a small pin clearly, you never have to worry about rain, fog, or light glare.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for your response. Can't say I've shot with just a pin. But curious and worth a try I think. I used to go to x6 and when I was younger a x8 but that was too much .... It scared the bejaysus out of me so much I moved lol...

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I have a scope with an up pin .019. It has been sitting in my junk drawer for several years and since I just had laser surgery, I am going to try it again without a lens. The only problem is that the temp. here will be about 115 degrees for a few days so I might have to wait.

I know several top shooters in the US that uses a pin without a lens on a scope at national competition. They have the advantage when it rains or with wind. On field type shoots several targets end up with the sun glaring off the scope. But if your eyes are getting weak, then a lens might be needed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts