Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Elite Victory with an Axcel Achieve on it and a Shrewd scope with a Feather View DSA lens and fiber.

The bow is paper tuned no issues there that I know of. What is really bothering me is with the fiber stuck in the lens you can see the side of the fiber. The scope is to the right side (I am a lefty). I can not seem to figure out why the scope is so out of line with the arrow, unless the rest windage is still off and it will paper tune anyway.

Any thoughts or ideas to look into?

Thanks!

·
Registered
689 Posts
May sound strange but do you have The tip of your nose anchored on the string I have seen guys with that problem who just don’t have their eye behind the bow correctly if everything is correct with your anchor it should be very corner of mouth and tip of the nose resting on the string

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20,998 Posts
Probably a 3rd axis issue. No sight will line up directly over the arrow though, unless you're shooting a shoot-through bow. All others, the sight will be to the left for a right handed bow and to the right for a left handed bow.

Reactions: dnv23

·
Registered
561 Posts
Pretty common.

I also shoot a victory. My scope ends up to the left (righty) every time. Even when I swapped cams to make a frankenbow. It’s a result if your anchor, not the bow though. If youre happy with your tune hitting your spot, roll with it.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Doesn’t have anything to do with the anchor. That would be your vertical look, not horizontal. It’s most likely a 3rd. axis( like opening and closing a door) standing in front of it. You can paper tune bow without a sight. That doesn’t matter. No, you can’t be happy with that. If you hunt from elevated stands, you will probably make some bad shots.
Product Font Line Bicycle part Auto part
use these and check your sight axis.

·
Registered
557 Posts
And the 3rd axis is generally set with the bow level but tilted backward in a vise. That's how I've done mine and I've had good results with it, it's simple to do. Set 1st and 2nd, then tilt your bow backwards but still making sure your levels are good, then set the 3rd axis. They make a device that you can set your whole sight in to do all the axis adjustments with it off your bow, but it makes more since to be to do it on the bow itself since that's how it's being shot. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
9,418 Posts
3rd axis must be set at full draw with you holding the bow to be correct. Just an FYI.

·
Registered
557 Posts
3rd axis must be set at full draw with you holding the bow to be correct. Just an FYI.
I've personally never set one up at full draw mostly because I rarely shoot extreme up or down angles. Have you set a sights 3rd axis in a brite site for example and one at full draw to see if they are noticeably off from one another? Just curious, if I'm missing some increased accuracy or not. I've done most in a brite sight and a few on the bow itself at brace and never could tell a difference on the angle shots I've taken.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Doesn’t have anything to do with the anchor. That would be your vertical look, not horizontal. It’s most likely a 3rd. axis( like opening and closing a door) standing in front of it. You can paper tune bow without a sight. That doesn’t matter. No, you can’t be happy with that. If you hunt from elevated stands, you will probably make some bad shots. View attachment 7466981 use these and check your sight axis.
I see what your saying. But am politely skeptical to it being third axis. If the third axis adjustment was made like the photo, that would literally do nothing to pull the pins left or right. Assuming the visible fiber end fell directly on the third axis adjustment, the only pin movement would be squaring the face of the fiber to the archer. But yes, more importantly it would square the bubble to the archer as well.

Most sights have 3rd axis adjustment at the bar, which may pull the pins L/R (minutely)… but POI would change. So you throw a few clicks into the windage adjustment to hit center again and now your right back where you started, albeit, your 3rd axis is set.

I’ve literally never had my pins fall dead vertical to my arrow/center shot. 0 yards, 100 yards, downhill, uphill… shots so steep that I’m referencing a cut chart because I’m beyond the limits of most angle compensating range finders. 3rd axis is set, pin still sits left of center shot.

·
(aka lug nut)
51,348 Posts
I see what your saying. But am politely skeptical to it being third axis.

.... 3rd axis is set, pin still sits left of center shot.
Correct. Sight pin a little left of centershot is PERFECTLY normal for most RIGHT handed compound bows.

Camera accessory Audio equipment Gas Cameras & optics Wood

IF the scope looks like this, we have a 3rd axis issue.

Camera accessory Cameras & optics Engineering Bicycle part Auto part

IF the scope looks like this, we most likely do not have a 3rd axis issue.

·
(aka lug nut)
51,348 Posts
I have an Elite Victory with an Axcel Achieve on it and a Shrewd scope with a Feather View DSA lens and fiber.

The bow is paper tuned no issues there that I know of. What is really bothering me is with the fiber stuck in the lens you can see the side of the fiber. The scope is to the right side (I am a lefty). I can not seem to figure out why the scope is so out of line with the arrow, unless the rest windage is still off and it will paper tune anyway.

Any thoughts or ideas to look into?

Thanks!
So missedtx.
If the sight fiber is parallel to the arrow, if the sight fiber is parallel to the front stabilizer,
you do not have 3rd axis issue (door hinge swing angle for scope housing).

If the rest centershot (sideways position of arrow rest) is not ideal
this can throw off the sight fiber/scope housing windage (scope sideways position).

Time for a photo of your bow.

Here is a photo of my OK Archery DST 40. Has no cable guard, has no roller guard.
Has shoot thru cables, so I have two cables to the left of the arrow,
and I have two cables to the right of the arrow. Arrow fires BETWEEN all the cables.

And yet, the fiber in the up pin...does not PERFECTLY line up with the bowstring.
So, technically, i can see a BIT of the right side of the FAT fiber.

So, even with my FAT fiber a tiny bit left of the bowstring,
I can do this at 20 yards.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Finally back at this.... I know I have the 1st and 2nd axis set. The third I am not completely confident that it is set perfectly, due to I need another level to get it done.

I will try to get some pictures today. I am also going to shorten the fiber up. From many of the posts above without confirming the 3rd axis (which is set in the middle at the moment) Which it is square to the sight bar.

This is my first Shrewd scope with the fiber like this. If the scope view not being inline is normal then it looks like my only option to not be looking at the side of the fiber is to shorten the fiber until it does not bother me and use a light.

·
Registered
20,998 Posts
Finally back at this.... I know I have the 1st and 2nd axis set. The third I am not completely confident that it is set perfectly, due to I need another level to get it done.

I will try to get some pictures today. I am also going to shorten the fiber up. From many of the posts above without confirming the 3rd axis (which is set in the middle at the moment) Which it is square to the sight bar.

This is my first Shrewd scope with the fiber like this. If the scope view not being inline is normal then it looks like my only option to not be looking at the side of the fiber is to shorten the fiber until it does not bother me and use a light.
If it's perfectly square to the sight bar and then you draw the bow, causing the torque that moves the scope in line with the arrow, the sight bar and apparently your 3rd axis will not necessarily be in line with your eye/arrow. If your trouble is that you're seeing the fiber behind the pin and not just a round fiber dot, this could be your problem. It could also be that the fiber is bent, the lens isn't seated properly in the scope or that the hole isn't drilled square in the lens. You might try reinstalling everything and see if that doesn't change things.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts