Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a Ventilator 150 and have a optimizer that I plan on mounting on it. I am trying to figure out which scope would be the best. I would like to target shoot from 20-100 yards and want to be as accurate as possible. I been trying to do some research. So far I've read not to use a regular rifle scope because the recoil is different but an air rifle scope would be fine. I've also read that I should choose one with an adjustable parallax or have the scope customize with a parallax at 40 or 50 yards. I know the scope will need to have a lot of adjustments available as the HHA raises the scope 1/2" higher. I am just looking for a regular reticle or something like the leapold firedot. Any suggestions? Curious to read what others are using. I previously owned a RDT 165 with an HHA and a 3-9x50 Barska and had no issues.

· Bolts! Bolts! Bolts!
1,888 Posts
1) The HHA is set-up for 20-80 yards, so you'll have to customize a tape to stretch out to 100.
2) To be as "accurate as possible" as you say, you will need a scope with adjustable parallax. If you don't mind some degree of accuracy loss, then get a fixed parallax scope. You can minimize the accuracy loss with a good cheek weld.
3) Yes, you can use a regular rifle scope w/o issues. Just make sure to get one with a good warranty just in case.
4) You won't necessarily need a lot of adjustment in the scope due to the HHA raising it a 1/2" higher. The scope rail on the Scorpyd is shimmed with a washer to account for this issue.
5) Regular reticle or Firedot is fine. Firedot would be better suited if this set-up will be used in low light situations.

· Registered
5,495 Posts
I use an HHA Speed Dial on my Scorpyd Orion 160 Extreme. You definitely do not want the use a regular rifle scope, because a crossbow's recoil in is the opposite direction. An airgun scope will work because an airgun recoils like a crossbow. I went with the Hawke Optimizer scope - it is made specifically for the HHA SD. As for fit, I just attached the HHA Speed Dial, with Hawke Optimizer scope, right to the Orion's scope rail and never looked back. I am very happy with the way they perform.

Like Ladykiller said, the HHA SD is set up for 20-80 yards and that is plenty good enough for me. Shoot, when I'm hunting I don't take shots out past 30-40 yards, anyway. Now, around the house, just goofing off, I may reach out to 80 yards - my yard limits me to that distance. It is kinda cool the pull the trigger, wait a tad and then hear the "chunk" of the arrow hitting the target. It's rewarding to roll up to the target and see the arrow real close to the bullseye. You'll get used to how great your Scorpyd shoots. First few times I shot my Orion I was almost giddy happy with its unreal accuracy, now I so used to it that it's "no big deal". Just be sure to not shoot two arrows at the same bullseye - I learned the hard way.

One of my videos shows me shooting my Orion with the HHA SD/Hawke Optimizer Scope on it.

Hope you enjoy your Scorpyd, I sure enjoy mine.

Bobby

· Registered
5,495 Posts
Norm, I haven't shot it out to 80 yds, yet. I may do it tomorrow so I can answer your question.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
New for 2015 HHA is offering new tapes from 0-100 yards and to accommodate for the faster crossbows. Only a few places at this time carry them but I purchase them a few weeks ago and know for a fact they exist.

· Registered
705 Posts
I have the Scorpyd Orion Extreme 175, HHA optimizer, medium height Warne QD rings and Vortex 3X9 with the V-brite reticle. I am impressed with its clarity and light gathering and have experienced no recoil related problems. In the unlikely event I need it the scope has a lifetime warranty. I will be looking into those new tapes as there is alot of blank tape left after 80 yards on the HHA. Best price I found on the Vortex was on Amazon and it was on my door in 2 days.

· Registered
5,495 Posts
John, where did you find them?

· Registered
3,943 Posts
waiting to find out where.

· Registered
705 Posts
I called HHA this morning and confirmed that the 100 yard tapes are a reality. Lady said I cannot buy direct and would have to go through a dealer but, she didn't know who actually may have them. She added that any of there dealers could call them and order them direct from HHA. Guess I will be checking with Jerry at Southshore unless someone else chimes in?

· Registered
5,495 Posts
I have the HHA Optimizer with the 20-80 yard tape and emailed HHA Sports, merely asking about the availability of the 100-yd tape, and a few days later, a package of them arrived in the mail.

Didn't cost me a dime.

Bobby

· Registered
12 Posts
Only authorized HHA Distributors are carrying the Optimizer Extended Distance Tapes.

Amongst others, I know Wyverns usually stock and carry these new 100 yard tapes. Look up Wyvern Creations on the web. You'll need to call them since these new tapes are not openly advertised. They work as well as the original tapes, but extend your settings out to 100 yards instead of 80 yards. Beyond 100 yards, you'll need a fine pen and make your own markings.

Jon

· Registered
1 Posts
Plotman, I am very happy to hear about your sucess with the Vortex scope. I think they are excellent for the money. I have 2 questions for you. Does the illuminated dot work well in all conditions? Second, does the scope do well in very low light ? I was looking at the Hog Hunter scope but that bell is a bit big!!! Thanks

· Registered
20 Posts
Plotman, I am very happy to hear about your sucess with the Vortex scope. I think they are excellent for the money. I have 2 questions for you. Does the illuminated dot work well in all conditions? Second, does the scope do well in very low light ? I was looking at the Hog Hunter scope but that bell is a bit big!!! Thanks
I used HHA with a Zeiss Duralytt 2-8x42 and it works great. The clarity is unbelievable, recoil shouldn't matter at all. Didn't notice any difference because HHA does all the adjustment for you. All you need to do is zooming in and out for the best view. Thanks

· Registered
1,267 Posts
New for 2015 HHA is offering new tapes from 0-100 yards and to accommodate for the faster crossbows. Only a few places at this time carry them but I purchase them a few weeks ago and know for a fact they exist.
Okay... WHERE????

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.