Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2X and 4X scope lenses. I am currently just shooting 20 yards with the 4X lens. I'm looking for some feedback. For indoor outdoor punching paper is the 4X or 2X going to show more consistency at 20 yards? As I move to 40 yards which would be more desirable? Please keep the suggestions only about lens power, would be a .019 dot on either lens power. I will also have some thoughts after I mark off 40 yards and do my own trials. Just curious as to thoughts from both a hunter, paper target shooter, 3-D shooter perspective. Thanks

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
I have that same problem with my scope now at the age of 73. I bought the Brian scope with two lens 4X and 6X. The 4X works the best up to 60 yards but over 65 yards the 6X is far superior for holding and hitting the spot.

If this was for 20 yards indoors, or for 3D and targets under 50 yards, I would like the 2X better. But for the 900 round or field round where you will shoot over 50 yards, I would go to the 4X. If you are new to shooting a lens, then start with the 2X as the 4X will be harder to hold and get use to.

If you haven't done so, try the 2X at 20 yards indoors. It should be simple to change the lens in your scope. After a year or two, the 4X will be feel better and then you can switch. I started with a 2X in the 70s and shot a 7X in my prime in the 90s. Now I am back down to a 4X. At my age, I use a .029 fiber because I can no longer see the .019 any more but would use it if I could see it.

·
Back Yard Champion
27,686 Posts
I've used a 4X lens in my sight frame since day one. 71 years old it still gets the job done at any distance. No clarifier.
I've both Brian's Custom Lens and Feather Vision........

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Depends on how steady you can hold. 2x is very little magnification, depending on the distance between your peep, and scope. i use 6x for indoor, and field, 4x for 3d to give me more target in my sight picture.

·
Lowered expectations
15,633 Posts
Everyone’s eyesight is different, and you pretty much have to decide for yourself what works best for you at various distances and various types of targets.

If someone tells you they like a 4X lens, it’s meaningless to you because you don't have the same visual acuity, and you don’t know their lens-to-eye distance (draw length and sight extension length) which both significantly affect magnification. You also don’t know their peep diameter or if they are using a clarifier lens or not, which also greatly affects what you see.

Sorry, not shortcuts here. You just have to try different things.

·
Registered
5,164 Posts
I agree its something you gotta try. I shot just a pin fir years. Average 55-58X games indoors. Just started shootin a lens a few months ago. Using a 4X for everything right now, it definitely helps.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the responses, I understood about DL, acuity and all... I'm a 30" DL and 6" extension bar maxed out. Just looking to keep all those things as a constant asked on your "standard" setup to see suggestions. One thing I find peculiar in most of the posts I read is things seem to be based on "time" i.e. 6mnths, year, 2 years, etc.... whats that have to do with anything? I try and shoot everyday, weather permitting. Over the past 4 weeks have shot 2,130 arrows (been marking my targets each time I pull my 3 arrows). Is that about average, and how does arrows shot equate to time on the calendar? Some days I may shoot 66 arrows others 78. I typically try t keep it at 72 right now, that seems to be when my form starts really breaking down. New question how many arrows month, 6 months, year does the calendar time equate to in number of arrows fired?

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I use a 4x in my 3D set up with no clarifier. I shoot men’s known 40 class. I practice out to 60 yards with it and it helps I haven’t tried a 2x but I believe the 4x will be sufficient. I don’t know about indoor.

·
Registered
17,685 Posts
Am 75 & shoot almost daily probably 130+ day, use Tru-Spot 6X lens 1/4" grind with Specialty Archery super ball peep 3/64" aperture no clarifier & sight extension 9" fully extended & I don't wear glasses except to set my sight.
It is all totally up to the person that is shooting like Stash said above. Shoot what ever YOU are comfortable with & how many arrow you are able to shoot correctly! You will get lots of answers & they can be all correct for that person.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Personally I don't see enough difference from no lens, to 2x. I'm currently using a 4x and .5 clarifier. I have noticed a slight improvement of scores going from no lens, to the 4x by simply seeing the target a bit better. I am thinking of trying a 6x lens, but remember the higher the magnification the more movement you see when aiming.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17,685 Posts
How far out do you have your extension? the farther out the more magnification you will get from your lens.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts