Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My scope thread rod snapped at the scope as I'm headed to the tree stand today it just feel off as I'm shutting my truck door. So that sucked pretty bad. I called Spot Hogg he says 9/32 all thread and I'm back in business problem is the only hardware store here in town does not have it. So if it were not for the fact that a guy in camp has an extra sight my hunt would be over and my hunt today was screwed up.

Question is does anyone make a metal scope rod that can be put on this thing rather than the plastic rod that it comes with. I have always liked spott Hogg products and they advertise being tough but a plastic scope rod that can easily snap is not my definition of tough. Any help would be appreciated.

· Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Socket Man
25,923 Posts
You might consider getting a short bolt that is the correct threads and has the angled head that goes down into a countersunk hole and using it instead of a rod. That is how cbe does their scopes and I have done it with other scopes and it is so much better than the scope rod method. I have no idea why spot hogg holds onto the rod method.

With the short bolt trick a little bit of the head will stick out unless you drill out a little counter sink part on the scope and that scope doesn't have a hole on the opposite side to get that done.

· Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just by looking at the picture you need to use your head a little and you can just use the one you have right there, I would take it out and clean up the broken side and then just remount the scope on it.
There is not enough of the thread left. I tried that. I am also dealing with being in a very rural area with very limited access to tools and parts.

· Registered
23,010 Posts
Drill & tap to 10X24 problem solved. That is standard enough should be able to find even in rural area.

· Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok so let me reset the thread. I will fix it when I get home. I also made an error it is a 10/32 that I need not 9/32. The point of the thread is me asking the question does anyone make a metal rod or something more durable than this hard plastic. Also when I spoke to Spott Hogg he offered to just send me a new scope head and rod but in the long run the more important thing is finding a better way than the plastic rod as Padgett suggested with the long bolt

· Registered
8,091 Posts
I'm a bit confused. Standard scope rods are 10-32 ( which is a #10 size and 32 threads per inch), and a quick glance at Spot Hogg website indicates that's what they use. Also, the scope rod appears to be metal, it looks like every other broken scope rod I've ever seen.

I'm not familiar with spot hogg sights, but if the barrel is threaded, you only need one nut, so the existing rod is plenty long enough. If the barrel is not threaded, you can still eliminate the nut that goes against the scope and just tighten the barrel up against the scope using the existing (broken) rod.

· Banned
315 Posts
Drill & tap to 10X24 problem solved. That is standard enough should be able to find even in rural area.
I thought all the mounts were 10/32 so you can not tap to 10/24
The housing should be tapped all the way through so the broken stud should be able to be drilled out and the broken piece hopefully will just start to turn inward falling out on the inside
10/32 threaded rod is easy to come by
I have both the Viper and Brian Stokes scopes and they are 10 32 as is the micrometer sight

· Registered
23,010 Posts
Yep sorry it is 10X32 , probably could use the same rod just turn it around & use the other end.

· Registered
8,091 Posts
Remove the broken portion of the rod from the scope housing and thread the remaining portion of the rod into the scope housing again. According to the video below, the barrel has internal threads, so the rod should be plenty long enough, and the extra jam nut between the barrel and the scope is unnecessary. (see video where no jam nut is used) If you do remove the jam nut however, you'll have to move the barrel over by the thickness of the nut to keep your left/right adjustment where it was.

Attachments

· C:\My Documents\My Pictur
24,688 Posts
Hello
The Odl Pro -- Gene Lute youst to sell Titanium 10-32 Rods
You won't break them. Maybe there is another out let for them. [ Later

· Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yep so after driving to a archery shop about 40 miles away so we would have some tools he could not get it out or drill it out. It is a metal 10/32 rod but it appears was over tightened at the factory (evidence by lock washer gouges in scope) it's locked in good and broken flush. We tried easy out bits and several other methods. No dice. Spot Hogg is sending another.

· Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It looked plastic when broke but it's metal. Lastly. This was my first hunt with this scope and it had not been banged or bumped. Just a freak thing I guess.

· Registered
7,766 Posts
It's probably loc tited in. You might need a little heat to break the loc tite. A standard piece of 10-32 all thread will work in a pinch
but not last very long because they are not hardened like a regular replacement scope rod.

· Registered
414 Posts
You said it feel out as you shut the truck door. What did you do shut the door on the sight? Not sure how it would have broke off otherwise. A metal scope rod isn't going to do much good if you slam a door on it. A bent scope is just as bad as a broken one, you can't take a shot with either one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

· Registered
8,091 Posts
You said it feel out as you shut the truck door. What did you do shut the door on the sight? Not sure how it would have broke off otherwise. A metal scope rod isn't going to do much good if you slam a door on it. A bent scope is just as bad as a broken one, you can't take a shot with either one.
Just the vibration from shooting can cause them to fail. In the 90's when you went to a major 3D tourney, there were so many scopes hitting the ground it looked like leaves coming off the trees in Fall. (LOL not really, but it was far from un-common to see someone shoot a high/right arrow, and the scope fall off on the next shot).

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.