Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first time shooting Redding, what are you guys using for your scope set up for shooting a 3D animal with orange circles?

what power lens?

Drilled or Pin? what size of fiber optic/color?

Circle or Dot? what size/color?

what size of scope?

Clarifier peep; yes what size for what scope?

Thanks for the help on this....

·
Registered
8,002 Posts
8x Feather Visions Verde lens. I will be switching to FV's new lens that water will NOT stick to!! Water just runs right off of the sucker!! It is truly an awesome lens with clarity as good or better than ANY lens I have ever looked through!

My dot (dots) are a little different than most...I have larger white dot on the target side of the lens and on the shooter side of the bow I have a black dot that is a little smaller than the white dot and inside that I have a yellow dot that is a little smaller than the black dot. My reasoning for this is that I can see my dot (dots) on any target face!! Field, hunter, orange spots like at Redding....no problem!!

My lens is 31.5" away from my peep, so I use a green clarifier (really personal preference and depends on YOUR eyes!!) that is sized so that I see ONLY the scope housing with NO light around it. I can clearly see that my peep and housing are aligned and I can see my dot and level with no head movement.

I do however bring a non-clarified peep insert with me just in case of rain like we had last year on Saturday!!

One last thing, buy yourself a can or two of compressed air!! The stuff to clean keyboards and the like! You can really clean the water drops off of your lens and peep with ease! Also bring large and small ziplock sandwhich bags!! Trust me...you'll need them and you'll be glad you had them if it rains!!:D:D The compressed air will also help you dry your bow off after the round (again...if it rains) and keep it from rusting the steel parts!! Spring steel launcher don't like rain!!!:D

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
8x Specialty lens for me on approx. a 6" sight extension. I don't use a clarifier, opting instead for a 3/64" plain aperture. Image isn't clear for me, but good enough that I can easily distinguish the orange dots on the animals. I also use stick-on dots. For me I use a larger yellow dot and then lay a slightly smaller black dot on top of the yellow dot. Like NevadaPro, this combo color lets me see my dot on any color dot including the orange dots at Redding, black or white dots for NFAA field/hunter, or the yellow spots on FITA targets.

I think you'll find 8x is a little bit stronger than many prefer for outdoors though. Many I talk to are running closer to a 6x or .75 to .8 diopter lens, some even a little weaker. Similarly, I see a lot of different aiming reticles with many using fiber optic pins (most not using the smaller .010 size though that is popular on regular 3D critters), some using circles or Tru-Spot lens, etc..

Pretty much whatever you are comfortable using.

>>------->

·
Registered
14,338 Posts
Sweet, getting ready for the Western Classic...I live in Redding. Just shot the spring warm up and they have been doing alot of work to the range, I don't like anything over 6x myself. I hope it does not rain this year!

·
Registered
908 Posts
Sweet, getting ready for the Western Classic...I live in Redding. Just shot the spring warm up and they have been doing alot of work to the range, I don't like anything over 6x myself. I hope it does not rain this year!
Don't mean to hijack your thread, but when is the Redding shoot?

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
That's such a great shoot .. All I've used is my hunting slider and hunter stab but then again I'm only a little north of 1400 ... But I have fun :thumbs_up

Maybe someday I'll try it all out FS since I have to shoot that class anyway :teeth:

·
Registered
8,002 Posts
What a great range!! And the volunteers do a fantastic job putting on this shoot!! I just feel bad that they don't get to shoot!

I did make sure that I didn't start on target #50 this year!!! The 10 mile walk to the target (not really 10 miles, but man it felt like it...and ALL up hill!!) was killer!! At least Bigfoot was only a few targets later and there wasn't a 30 minute wait to shoot it!!!

If you haven't shot this Tournament and you have the chance, do yourself a favor and do it!! It really is an awesome shoot!!:thumbs_up (and yes...let's pray for NO rain!!!!!)

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
I use a Specialty Super D scope with a 6x lens with a small green circle for Redding. I also don't use a clarifier but instead a 1/32 aperture. That seemed to work pretty good last year for me.

Yep, lets hope it doesn't rain this year.

·
Fat Jesus
29,130 Posts
One of these years I'm gonna pack up and fly out there to shoot that tournament...Never been there but from the pics I see of the Redding shoot it looks like a blast. For all the guys going please take alot pf pics, seems like there are never enough Redding pics posted on here.

·
Registered
14,338 Posts
One of these years I'm gonna pack up and fly out there to shoot that tournament...Never been there but from the pics I see of the Redding shoot it looks like a blast. For all the guys going please take alot pf pics, seems like there are never enough Redding pics posted on here.
I will take lots of pics J Daddy...:thumbs_up

·
Registered
14,338 Posts
Please keep the advice coming...:teeth:
Make sure you pre register before april 18th you save 10.00 that way and you don't have to wait forever in line. I would definitely not shoot a scope that requires a clarifier, it usally rains every other year, so hopefully it won't rain.:shade: They have a couple 3yd shots, and a handful under 15yds. I think they will have novelties this year, they had the balloon drop and poker at the warm up a couple weeks ago. Redding is a fantastic shoot, anyone that can make it, should come. You want to get there early to get good parking, and be prepared for long days of shooting:teeth:

·
Registered
14,338 Posts
I think any size scope you prefer will be fine, I shoot a atc 6x 30mm with a center drilled green fiber. Just make sure it is not orange. I think I am going to buy a 4x soon. If it is sunny make sure you have something to shade your scope, you might need it. Redding has lots of shots that you get bad glare! Anything you decided on will be fine, you will have alot of fun!

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
8x Feather Visions Verde lens. I will be switching to FV's new lens that water will NOT stick to!! Water just runs right off of the sucker!! It is truly an awesome lens with clarity as good or better than ANY lens I have ever looked through!

My dot (dots) are a little different than most...I have larger white dot on the target side of the lens and on the shooter side of the bow I have a black dot that is a little smaller than the white dot and inside that I have a yellow dot that is a little smaller than the black dot. My reasoning for this is that I can see my dot (dots) on any target face!! Field, hunter, orange spots like at Redding....no problem!!

My lens is 31.5" away from my peep, so I use a green clarifier (really personal preference and depends on YOUR eyes!!) that is sized so that I see ONLY the scope housing with NO light around it. I can clearly see that my peep and housing are aligned and I can see my dot and level with no head movement.

I do however bring a non-clarified peep insert with me just in case of rain like we had last year on Saturday!!

One last thing, buy yourself a can or two of compressed air!! The stuff to clean keyboards and the like! You can really clean the water drops off of your lens and peep with ease! Also bring large and small ziplock sandwhich bags!! Trust me...you'll need them and you'll be glad you had them if it rains!!:D:D The compressed air will also help you dry your bow off after the round (again...if it rains) and keep it from rusting the steel parts!! Spring steel launcher don't like rain!!!:D
what dot company are the dots from? where did you purchase from?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts