Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am looking at replacing my cheapo 5 pin sight, with an Axcel Accutouch Pro.

My current sight is a "Booster" brand 5 pin sight. It was a part of a starter Package, and I guess it is the version with .029" dots.
http://www.boosterarchery.com/it/i-nostri-prodotti/?cat0=301&cat1=281&cat2=BI2&idProdotto=53G937
I haven't measured the scope size.

I have a 6mm(15/64") Trio peep

Bow is a PSE Freak SP @33" Draw Lenght

I am 52yo, and a bit far sighted. In bad light, I have a problem seeing my pins clearly enough to aim accurately.

The questions are:
  1. should I go for X31 or X41 Scope size?
  2. Should I keep my Peep, as it is, or replace with a smaller peep?
    I am considering going for a Specialty Archery, with a Verifier.​
  3. Should I go for a .010" or .019" pin?
Currently, I am just using the bow for practice.
When I go hunting, it will be in Excellent to Good light.

Hunting area is Arctic Tundra, no forests, no high growth to offer shade or hiding spots.

Last one: A good place to buy the Axcel Accutouch Pro Carbon? (Good price, and shipping outside the US)

Happy shooting from Greenland
Jesper Rex

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bump

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
for one i would not hunt with a lense in your scope.to much room for error there in my opinion.if you are trying to gt the best of both worlds shooting indoors and outdoors ( spots and 3d) just go with the larger housing.As far as scope power you will get a wide range of responses on this.I use a 6x indoors and outside for field.shooting 3d i like a 3x so i can see more of my target.if your just choosing one get the 3x.clarifiers can get cashy if your pro shop does not have them for you to try to see what your eyes like best.i dont use a clarifier.i would go with a different peep like specialty archery peep so you can change sizes,clarifiers and so on.i bought the specialty archery aperature kit and went with the size that gave me the most clarity on my target face and dot.Im not sure if Lancaster Archery ships overseas but i would certainly give them a try first.hope this helps

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the comments.

I will go for the x41 housing.

I currently don't plan on using a Scope, only a Verifier.
If I go for a scope, I think a 2x or 3x will be enough, but maybe next year...

Explanation of Verifier/Clarifier (Borrowed from the FAQ at http://www.specialtyarch.com/faq-new/verifiers/)

How do I know if I need a Verifier or a Clarifier?
A Verifier is used when you shoot with pins to clear up the pins, and a Clarifier is used when you shoot with a scope and a lens to clear up the target. Verifiers are generally preferred by older archers who have lost some ability to focus on objects that are close-up, such as sight pins. Clarifiers are usually preferred by tournament archers who want to see the target more clearly when looking through a scope.
I have an agreement, with the Pro Shop, where I bought my bow. (Baldurs Archery in Denmark)
I can buy the Specialty Archery Peep, and a complete set of Verifiers,and return the ones I don't use, for a full refund.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I decided to go for the Accutouch Pro Carbon with a X41 Scope and a single .010" green pin.

If the pin is too small, then I must replace it, and Axcel wrote me, that the replacement is easy to do.
Then I just need to find, where to buy a spare pin.

Sight is bought on eBay(Bow Hunters Supply Store), and with Expedited Shipping, it should be in Greenland, in around 2 weeks. I can hardly wait ;)

·
World & National Champion
33,999 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you.

Currently I will be using it, without a lens.
Add reserve that option, for later.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts