Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any recommendations? I'm shooting a Wicked Ridge Ranger with the BEE arrows about 420 gr. (note - the supplied arrows were 370) I find that the IR truglo scope doesn't match up yardages too well. I can make do for now but I'm thinking ahead and wondering what's out there with a reticle that will adjust for my bow's speed. Sorry but I haven't chrony'd it yet. I need to do that tomorrow. I could also try lighter inserts in the arrows, I still have some 20's to shorten down to 18." They both fly equally well out to 50 yards (1.5" groups with a rest out to 50), with only the length being different and all other components the same (using 110gr right now). It would bring my arrows down to about 390. I found Tenpoint pro elite brass inserts that I think are 68 grains from what i can find on their site. That would bring me down to about 378 gr which is still more than the supplied arrows. I would hate to try and lighten the points themselves (except for field points for testing purposes) because of the limited number of broadheads available in anything less than 100gr.

I'll chrony it tomorrow and see what my speed is with my 420 gr arrow.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also - would prefer not to spend a fortune if possible. I like the truglo so far, if it only matched my Xbow's speed, and it's fairly cheap.

·
Jesus Follower
16,230 Posts
I really like the Hawke XB1 for the money (roughly $150). It has the speed ring to line up sub-tensions for your crossbow's speed.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was liking what i saw there too - but does anyone have trouble seeing the reticle without IR? I'm so used to having fiber optic pins.

·
Catty Shack
12,253 Posts
For a slower speed bow I'd take a good look at the Zeiss XB75 as long as you can keep at 4x or less for a decent field of view. There was one recently on the classifieds here that was a bit over $200 and while I was deciding on it someone snatched it up.

·
Tacos de Lengua! Sabrosa!
4,328 Posts
You might also consider the Parker Pinpoint 3x scope. It has a very uncluttered view, just one crosshair and a lighted dot. Manufactured by Hawke. Pretty good glass. You use the turret at the top for your range. It comes with tapes that correspond to your speed. You can find them on the classified here for $100 to $110. They show up about once a month or so. Got to be fast though, they don't stay long. Day or two at the most.

·
4,328 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
4,328 Posts
The speed ring is basically the same as the zoom on a regular scope. You increase the power up if the arrow is shooting high, down if it's shooting low. Thats after you set the 20 yard chevron. The crosshairs don't move inside, it's the zoom. Does that make sense?

·
4,328 Posts
After looking at that model closer, you might be right Terriergal. I thought it had a speed ring, I don't see it there.

·
4,328 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The speed ring is basically the same as the zoom on a regular scope. You increase the power up if the arrow is shooting high, down if it's shooting low. Thats after you set the 20 yard chevron. The crosshairs don't move inside, it's the zoom. Does that make sense?
Yes, so it zooms the reticle only or does it zoom everything? I cant imagine how it wouldn't zoom everything unless it's actually moving the reticle closer and further away from your eye. So you're stuck with whatever magnification ends up working for your speed. Which is fine, unless you end up with too much zoom. 3-4x would be great.

My bow is supposed to shoot 300fps with the supplied bolts/arrows, but I'm shooting arrows that are about 50 gr heavier currently. So assuming -1fps for every 5 gr weight increase I'm probably still above 275fps which is the bottom range on some of these speed-adjustable scopes. But I really should shoot it through a chrony. Prolly tonight or tomorrow.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

That's my 40 yard shooting yesterday w/a rest. (Well, the back corner of the car) But I was holding the 40yd pin on the top row. Still, I'm happy w the accuracy anyhow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
I Didn't Do It.
1,250 Posts
Hawke XB 30 in classified adds. 210 to 360 FPS.
I had one there too that just sold.
Goes to 60yds. or if you dial in 1st chevron to 30yds would get you out to 70

1 - 20 of 26 Posts