Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been shooting about a year now and am considering going to a scope for indoor dots. I already have a Sure Loc sight I've been shooting with pins. Any opinions on which power and brand to try?

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Lots of good scopes out there, but I prefer the Sure-Loc Black Eagle in a 4 power.

Since all you have ever shot is pins, you dont want to over power yourself with your first scope, you wont like what you see and that would be more perceived movement. I would not go above a 3 or 4 power to start with,

I hope that helps

Scott

·
(aka lug nut)
48,385 Posts
jb142 said:
I've been shooting about a year now and am considering going to a scope for indoor dots. I already have a Sure Loc sight I've been shooting with pins. Any opinions on which power and brand to try?
You will need a scope housing
and then a lens.

All the scope housing manufacturers, also make a lens
to fit their scope housing.

There are also optics companies that just make lenses
to fit any brand of scope housing.

Some folks go with the solid lens.

Other folks go with a center drilled lens, and stick a fiber optic through the hole in the lens.

Other folks go with the post and then stick a very short length of fiber optic at the top of the post.

Me myself, I like the CR Scope housing.
The target size uses a 1-3/8 inch diameter lens.

You can buy the cross hair kit.

You can buy a post and put a short fiber optic in the post.

You can use a solid lens and put a "dot" (sticker) in the middle.

The housing gives you lots of options.

In terms of a lens,
DY Optics makes a very nice lens.

I agree that a 4X lens is a good place to start.

Depending on if you wear glasses
or are over 40 years old,
you may or may not need a clarifier peep sight.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Go with a max of 4 power at first, shooting though a lens is a diff experience as all movements are aggregated and can be a little intimidating at first. There are a lot of good housing manufacures with some being very pricy.

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
I prefer the Custom scope and 3 power lens with a small black dot, it works really good for me.

·
Occam's Razor
8,550 Posts
sstarnes said:
Lots of good scopes out there, but I prefer the Sure-Loc Black Eagle in a 4 power.

Since all you have ever shot is pins, you dont want to over power yourself with your first scope, you wont like what you see and that would be more perceived movement. I would not go above a 3 or 4 power to start with,
Ditto. I find a yellow dot melds with the target at 20 yards. I used a circle for a long time but now like the small yellow dot the best, try several to see which you like. If you can stand movement and relax, a 6-8x gives you a nice picture, and solid area to aim at, but it will be moving up a storm..................ck

·
Registered
685 Posts
powers that be

I ordered my XT and decided to stick with Toxonics sights but went with a K955M and a 3X lens. After getting it i tried to shoot a lens with a single fiber in middle and juast couldnt get the hang of it.went back to my XT and commensed slapping shafts and was only 3 rd time I shot with it.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I went to a local glass shop and had them cut me 6 circles out of normal non-powerd glass.

I then sanded the edges smooth, and painted dots on each side of different colors, added circles of differents sizes until I found the right combo for me.

The cut glass cost less than $10.00.

·
Bowhemian
8,295 Posts
If you are looking to buy your first scope, I recommend the following setup to you:

The Golden Key (GKF) Multi-Scope consists of a scope body and four interchangeable lenses; 0x, 2x, 4x and 6x.

http://www.goldenkeyarchery.com/

This kit enables one to experiment over time with the various lens powers, which is the best way to determine for certain which diopter is most compatible (trying out someone else's lens for a few shots is not an adequate test).

The Multi-Scope lenses come with a center dot (only) but Gunstar decals are available to apply any type of reticle. These photos show a Multi-Scope with a Post & Circle Gunstar decal applied.

In addition to being an excellent scope for breaking in with it's a very good shooting scope and it's very inexpensive, so you can't go wrong. And after awhile if you decide to get something more sophisticated you'll have no trouble selling it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts