Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why do some people who use a scope shoot in the Hunter Class?

To me the hunter class means shoot with what you hunt with fixed or adjustable pin sights, Standard Stabilizers (8" and less). I dont care what arrow you shoot.

But it seems like alot of guys are using Scopes and 30" Stab. then go out and shoot almost perfect scores and brag about it.

Maybe its me but i just dont get it if you have that type of setup shoot with the Big boys in Comp. and then lets hear you brag!!!!

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Your archery club shouldn't let them shoot in the hunter class (for score anyway) with that equipment. If they feel good shooting in that class, let em....you know they don't belong in that class.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
for some reason clubs in the pittsburgh area have an adjustable hunter class
I guess because of the popularity of sights like the hha, but see a lot of surelocs and stuff , ususally there is a fixed pin class seperate but not at all clubs . still not supposed to have lenses or stabs longer than 12in. funny thing if you watch the scores fixed pins are quite often higher

·
Back Yard Champion
29,832 Posts
It may depend upon what organization, but the bowhunter class use to be regulated pretty close. Stabilizers couldn't be over 12" long including a disconnect. Fixed pin sights could only be so long, 5", measured from riser and no counter balance or V-bars.

The NFAA has pretty much slaughtered the Bow Hunter Free Style Class. Today, fixed pin sights can be any length, can be enclosed in a housing, but no lens and they now allow V-bars. The forward stabilizer length remains as above, 12". I now call this class the "Wanna Be Free Style."

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Because, its all about form. You take a bow that shoots over 300fps, the fattest arrows you can get to shoot and a guy that has good form and shot excutetion and put him on a 35yd max course and he's going to walk off with a score of about 20 or 25 up. Its take the judging out of it. Just look at the scores from the indoor world shoot on the ibo site. You had to shoot up to be on the one of the first 5 pages of scores. In my opinion, guys that shoot those scores consistantly and stay in that class just hurt 3d archery. When I shot hunter class their were guys that used to shoot open and couldnt win so they deceided to move to hunter class. One of them that I know of won and ibo national championship. Boy I realy have a lot of respect for that guy. :pukey:

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
the club definitly shouldnt allow this to happen.i do shoot a hha slider in the hunter class because thats what i hunt with.i dont adjust it though i lock it down at 30yds and hold over if need to be. it works very well for me averaging around 10 up.and around here there is not much competition in the open class.the mens release averages 80-90 people and the open 15-20.

·
Registered
304 Posts
The NFAA has pretty much slaughtered the Bow Hunter Free Style Class.
I really think the NFAA gave everyone what they were crying about. I mean you always hear why can't I shoot mini blazers that's what I hunt with, or my STS doesn't add back weight. They gave the shooters what they wanted.

·
Registered
268 Posts
not sticking up for anyone... but my buddies and me shoot hunter release and shoot from the open pins...it is more challenging to us... most 3d shoots hunter class , from hunter pins can be shot with your top pin only (maybe 1-2 shots 40 45 yrds) no yardage guessing from hunter pins my diamond shoots 30 yards with top pin......we dont stick around for awards we go shoot and leave when we are done....you can make it what ever you want , but if you are going to try and win a trophy then you should stick to the guidelines...... I personally dont care what class you shoot or where from ... my main complaint is put the binos down ... that scope from 25 yards should be able to see ... look through binos, draw ,let down, look through binos,have buddy look through his, draw, let down , look through binos , draw, shoot ... THEY ARE KILLIN ME

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
no reason scopes should be at the 'hunters' stake.................unless theyre shooting for fun and not turning in their score.

more has to do with the people at the registration tent/table checking equipment.

ive seen people shooting all kinds of stuff from the hunter stakes.................38" stabs. arrows with wrong points, short fletching, the list goes on and on.

in the end its the responsibility of the 'hoster' to keep things honest...........after all its their reputation of 'their' shoot?

camoham

·
Back Yard Champion
29,832 Posts
I really think the NFAA gave everyone what they were crying about. I mean you always hear why can't I shoot mini blazers that's what I hunt with, or my STS doesn't add back weight. They gave the shooters what they wanted.
First, the NFAA doesn't have a vane restriction. Two, at the Vegas meeting very good difinitions were handed out that covered the STS and counter balance systems. Somebody opted for the V-bars, which to my knowledge was not the what was on the Agenda. This was no different than the arrow conflict that arose. Submitted was the 27/64" diameter and the "committee" came back with the 9.3 mm and the war still raging on....

Regardless, the BowHunter Free Style classes, for what they were to be, have lost their integrity. One must remember classes that no longer are, Traditional/Recurve with sights. These classes were eliminated and those wanting to hold on to them were shoved into the BowHunter Free Style and Free Style classes. The line of demarcation between BowHunter Free Style and Free Style is now very narrow.....

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
At most of the local shoots that I go to they have a novice class that shoots from the same stake as the hunter class and the novice class does not have any equipment regulations except for a 280 fps limit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts