Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a newb when it comes to measuring antlers so I thought I would give it a go on a 7 point typical I recently shot. My question is how to score the H3 and H4 circumferences on the beam that only has a G1 and G2. Is the H3 measured mid-way from the G2 and end point of the main beam and then the H4 is scored a 0?

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
you take a measurement in the middle between the g2 and the tip. Mark it because you have to take the g4 the middle of the g3 spot and the tip .

·
Bowhunter
692 Posts
you take a measurement in the middle between the g2 and the tip. Mark it because you have to take the g4 the middle of the g3 spot and the tip .
Huh? Don't quite understand what you're trying to say.

Every deer gets 4 mass measurements. Smallest of base to G1. Smallest of G1 to G2. When you have a deer with no G3, you measure from the G2 to the tip of the main beam and take a measurement exactly in the middle of the measurement. That will then be multiplied by 2 so you can get your 4th measurement. So, you'll put the same measurement in for the third and fourth measurements.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Tim is correct. You should never enter "0" for a circumference. Mark the base of the G2 point and then find the center of the G2 point and mark that on the base line that you just made. Working squarely with the main beam, extend that mark down to the middle of the main beam. Measure from there to the beam tip, while following the centerline of the beam. Divide that measurement by 2, and then measure that amount from the G2, toward the tip and mark it. Both the third and fourth circumference measurements are to be taken at that mark on the main beam.

As stated earlier, you always get 4 circumference measurements on each side of the antlers, no matter how many points. Even a spike will have 8 total circumferences.

Dan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts