Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Broken, Beat, & Scarred
6,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do u like it for a hunting rig? I'm looking at the 135 in particular. Any issue hunting in treestands with it? How does it shoot freehand? I wish it decocked, but it seems like a premium hunting rig on paper, and im looking for real world thoughts, thanks.

·
Anti Fanboy
42,780 Posts
Melly, I didn't have any problems with my Scorpyd while up in a tree stand. It is kind long for my likings but once its cocked its also somewhat narrow, which helps.

Lots of folks prefer the 135 model. With its reverse draw limbs, its plenty fast enough and most folks would not need a crank to cock the bow. It should also be more easy on center servings when compared to the faster Scorpyds.

Knowing Scorpyds, I don't see how you could go wrong with one. There's just so much to like with Scorpyd bows.

·
Broken, Beat, & Scarred
6,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Melly, I didn't have any problems with my Scorpyd while up in a tree stand. It is kind long for my likings but once its cocked its also somewhat narrow, which helps.

Lots of folks prefer the 135 model. With its reverse draw limbs, its plenty fast enough and most folks would not need a crank to cock the bow. It should also be more easy on center servings when compared to the faster Scorpyds.

Knowing Scorpyds, I don't see how you could go wrong with one. There's just so much to like with Scorpyd bows.
thats what im told, just trying to narrow all my options. Wish i had dealers out here, but its super limited to mostlyten point andmission, and mid and low models. Market here is not calling for high end units i guess.

·
Crossbow Broke
9,861 Posts
I think the 135 is the perfect model but I'm not a speed or bust guy. The biggest issue to be careful of is shooting directly behind you in a tree. The limbs spring outward and you could hit the tree with one of the limbs or cams. Not likely, but could happen.

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
The thing about a Scorpyd is they balance in the middle of the bow as opposed to closer to the nose of a standard crossbowbow.

·
Certified Buckoholic
5,301 Posts
I wouldn't hesitate at all on getting a new Aculeus. The only thing holding me back from upgrading to a new Aculeus 180 AcuDraw, is I'm waiting/hoping for the upgraded AcuDraw Pro.

·
Anti Fanboy
42,780 Posts
The thing about a Scorpyd is they balance in the middle of the bow as opposed to closer to the nose of a standard crossbowbow.
Yes. And that may be part of the reason I was able to shoot the Orion I had offhanded pretty dang accurately.

They are balanced quite nicely.

·
Broken, Beat, & Scarred
6,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Big reason i added the aculeus to my list of potentials

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Not sure if anyone will have them at the Harrisburg show or not that you could try. Firenock usually has his there though..

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Well Jim Kempf shoot a 135# model for what that is worth and Rex used the 130 Death Stalker this past season so that says something for a Scorpyd in the 130ish pound range. My 125# Silver Vent is a pleasure to shoot offhand and it cocks very easily and still shoots about 350ish with a hunting weight arrow. So the 135 Aculeus should be good to go.

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
Well add the DS to yer list it will bust a tick toter open out to 60 yds. 6.2 lbs, 17.5" ATA, 130 lb draw wt. has shorter power stroke, easy to handle compact in a tree stand, mine shoots 374 fps usin a 400 gr arrow. I killed 2 tick toters wid mine this season, great lil crossbow

·
Anti Fanboy
42,780 Posts
Well add the DS to yer list it will bust a tick toter open out to 60 yds. 6.2 lbs, 17.5" ATA, 130 lb draw wt. has shorter power stroke, easy to handle compact in a tree stand, mine shoots 374 fps usin a 400 gr arrow. I killed 2 tick toters wid mine this season, great lil crossbow
Due to the specs, no doubt I would choose a DS over any other Scorpyd.

I just don't know if I could cock one.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Will Dorge’s new Silent/Removable Cocking Device work with any Scorpyd Crossbow. It would have to be that or the new AcuPro to get me back into the Scorpyd fold with my bad shoulders.

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
Due to the specs, no doubt I would choose a DS over any other Scorpyd.

I just don't know if I could cock one.
Think standin on a box about 4-6 inches high n a brkt to stick stirrup under wid a long sled not a problem, next is sit down usin a short sled n cock it wid yer leg think outide the box :)

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Mike,
You’re so unethical! I just read on CBN that 50 yards is “the max ethical range”. I’m still repenting, and I expect you should be too! Think I’ll get an Aculeus so I can shoot a deer out to 30 yards.

·
Broken, Beat, & Scarred
6,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Not sure how i feel about the ds. Read some unfavorable reviews. Also composite im not so sure i love. I am not hating, just voicing concerns. I do love the size and weight of the ds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
If you shoot the DS you will probably change your mind it is so dead in the hand when shot. The issues you speak of at history at this point and yes I had the early problem one but was taken care of.

·
Anti Fanboy
42,780 Posts
If Scorpyd has in fact rectified all the issues with the DS, it would make a dang nice little bow.

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
Mike,
You’re so unethical! I just read on CBN that 50 yards is “the max ethical range”. I’m still repenting, and I expect you should be too! Think I’ll get an Aculeus so I can shoot a deer out to 30 yards.
sew yer correct i am unethical cause i will shoot a tick toter at 60 yds in a heartbeat. I don't spect it will get away, i have some of the best trackers in the State on my Team of help. Now that bein said i won't pass up a 10 yd shot cause its too close :)

·
Broken, Beat, & Scarred
6,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If you shoot the DS you will probably change your mind it is so dead in the hand when shot. The issues you speak of at history at this point and yes I had the early problem one but was taken care of.
Seeing how u have a ds and aculeus what one would u prefer for strictly treestand and blind hunting?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts