Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It warmed up to 23 deg F. today; I was like a kid playing outside! LOL. Stayed out almost 2 hours...

well, one extra hour because I had an issue, that after the fact, was NOT an issue.... I'd rather be LUCKY than.... ;)

·
today's macguyver
5,682 Posts
Sure looks like the pre loaded sds is the way to go , i did not see archers paradox when you were shooting the water bottles .
Great video !! thanks for taking the time to make it for us !!

·
Registered
21,713 Posts
Boy they killed the string pretty good. I didnt see any flex either.

Nice job Thanks

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sure looks like the pre loaded sds is the way to go , i did not see archers paradox when you were shooting the water bottles .
Great video !! thanks for taking the time to make it for us !!
Indeed. That is the position I am staying with...

I am not sure if anyone caught the sideways shot yet. As far as I can tell, there was very little flex on the weak side.

Great observation on the water bottle shots....I think I have arrived at the perfect framing in terms of the width to height ratio. I am excited to test the new Double Tapps soon!

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Boy they killed the string pretty good. I didnt see any flex either.

Nice job Thanks
Yes they did! The design is nearly perfect....as soon as the string was starting to rebound, the spring loaded SDS said.... "where..you going!!..."

I think the vertical guys have been missing the boat by just kissing the stop with the string...

·
Anti Fanboy
42,700 Posts
Good video! On this one it was even more difficult to see shaft flex. When compared to the last video, the way I'm seeing it is after the initial flex right out of the gate that short shaft recovers quickly.

·
Stryker Solution 390
580 Posts
Thanks for alll of your time and effort that you are putting into these amazing videos. Please educate me on what are the benefits of using the SDS system over the stock string stops. Ty

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for alll of your time and effort that you are putting into these amazing videos. Please educate me on what are the benefits of using the SDS system over the stock string stops. Ty
Thank you Sir!

There is a reduction in vibration on the shot. If you notice the side by side split screen video with the SDS on the top frame, and the stock rigid stoppers on the bottom frame. Notice how many times the string "bounces" off the stock stops.

What really got my attention was the TIMING of the active SDS, the string initially rebounded and when it tried to bounce again, the SDS was returning to its "rest" position which caught the string in time, thereby truly stopping the string oscillations!

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Nice stuff Nito, should sell some SDS devices for Skorpyd. I hope that they are taking care of you because you sure are helping them out, even got me convinced to give them a serious look...

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice stuff Nito, should sell some SDS devices for Skorpyd. I hope that they are taking care of you because you sure are helping them out, even got me convinced to give them a serious look...
Thanks! Yes, you should seriously look at Scorpyd. At the very least, take one for a test shoot.

Yeah, I had always been intrigued by Scorpyd's design, even when I shot strictly vertical bows.

I hunted in 2009 with a Tenpoint Turbo XLT because of tendonitist in my left elbow, it was relatively fast but it was LOUD.

Honestly, the Scorpyd DS is a lot quieter on the shot, and the vibration after the shot as evidenced by the high speed video is minimal.

Now we have the proven track record of Scorpyd's RDT in a $849 price point which exceeds its competition in terms of price, weight, accuracy, and oh yeah, at #130 no other crossbow can match its speed!

Am I a paid employee....haha, no. I am almost thoroughly convinced. When the Double Tapps arrive, I have some serious 100 yard testīng to conduct.

I do have several big sponsors in the gun industry who have taken and are taking care of me. I have to give a big thanks to Lehigh Defense for letting me use their High Speed Video Camera.

Stay tuned!

·
Registered
35 Posts
It warmed up to 23 deg F. today; I was like a kid playing outside! LOL. Stayed out almost 2 hours...

well, one extra hour because I had an issue, that after the fact, was NOT an issue.... I'd rather be LUCKY than.... ;)

Nice videos! Amazing, what is taking place in the blink of an eye. Helps us understand what needs done to minimize vibration. Thanks for your work in some extreme conditions.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Well you convinced me to buy the SDS for my Orion 160Ext. I may have to buy one of those Death Stalkers too, that bow is amazing! Thanks for your troubles out there in the winter conditions.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Nice Job and thanks for all your work! You have convinced me to make my final choice and go with the DS!!

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nice videos! Amazing, what is taking place in the blink of an eye. Helps us understand what needs done to minimize vibration. Thanks for your work in some extreme conditions.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
You're welcome Sir!

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nice Job and thanks for all your work! You have convinced me to make my final choice and go with the DS!!
You will not be disappointed! I know that I am not at all disappointed....I did my homework, my due diligence, and I read a ton of information on here and other sources. I honestly watched EVERY video on the Scorpyds on YouTube before I made my decision to get one.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So I have stayed consistent!

Follow up video with the slo mo video footage stitched.

Stitched?

Funny, even watching high-speed video played back in slow motion, sometimes our eyes do not see what we think we are seeing.

I learned this a few years ago working with high speed video. Background, I have produced several videos showing terminal ballistics with bullets shot into 10% FBI specified ballistic gel, fruits, and steel, etc.

It was not until I learned how to stitch the frames together, did I really start seeing more clearly what was happening in reality.

As you all know....video is essentially Motion Pictures...pictures that are stitched together to give the illusion of motion!

I took that a step further, and started taking screenshots of the pictures, in this case, the video frames.

At 3,000 frames per second, the video or pictures are being recorded every 1/3,000ths of a second!

A real blink of an eye takes 300 to 400 milliseconds. Since there's 1000 milliseconds in each second, a blink of an eye takes around 1/3 of a second.

From when the sear drops on the crossbow to when the string contacts the stops takes roughly 41 frames + 1 frame of no motion in between, so roughly 82 frames total.

82 frames divided by 3,000 frames/second = 0.02733 seconds, or 27 milliseconds

Truly amazing how fast the bow shot occurs....accelerating from 0 - 259mph or 0 - 367 fps in 27 milliseconds!

Okay....enough with the math lessons..LOL

·
Stryker Solution 390
580 Posts
So if the SDS helps on reducing vibration, I’m guessing that it also must help on wear and tear on your string and center serving.
I looked on Scorpyd website under accessories to see how much they cost, but I couldn’t seem to find them anywhere on their website. Does anybody know how much they cost and who carries them? Ty

1 - 20 of 27 Posts