Archery Talk Forum banner

Scorpyd Velocity

675 Views 13 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  Lastbow
First hunt of the season for me and another bad luck occurrence. I got to my blind and proceeded to cock my Velocity and noticed the safety threaded screw was gone. I put over 30 shots with it the week before, whats the chance it fell out on my last practice session shot or the walk to my blind, very frustrating. I went to the local hardware store and got a screw and acorn nut to get by for the weekend. Good thing the bow doesn't automatically engage the safety or I really would have had a interesting development. I sent Scorpyd a email and haven't heard anything yet for replacement parts..... I've had it lock up on me after cocking and the anti-dry fire wouldn't allow me to nock a arrow and this. I know the safety screw is a minor fix but wondering if i got a lemon..
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
18,546 Posts
Mine ... gets loose from time to time.

· Registered
2,762 Posts
There is a screw on both sides. So it's still functional unless both fall out. Never happened to my velocity but did with my vent so I blue loctite it in.
Norm

· Bringer of truth
15,110 Posts
back in that time frame of the velocity they had some of the wrong springs mixed into the assembly process. It will lock up on you again if you do not send it in for a repair.

As far as the screws falling out...lock tite all the screws on any crossbow is a good idea.

Just be sure to use the small screw thread locker.

· I like big buffs!
4,372 Posts
I'm sure you'll have to ship it back to them-on YOUR dime. I had I ship mine back twice for new limbs, zero reimbursement. I did ask if he would be so kind to replace the standard bolts and screws with stainless, which may have cost him $15-20 tops. Not only did I not get new bolts, but I didn't even get a reply to that request. Thanks Jim!

Scorpyd won't see any of my money anything soon.

· Registered
3,409 Posts
I would call them. I had warranty work done and they sent me a shipping label. As far as the safety all my scorpyds safety's have come loose. Very minimal loctite on the threads will work but be sure to use a low grade. I check them every time I pick up the crossbow.

· Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jim answered my call and is going to send me new safety screws. He also felt that the bow locking up was due to not fully cocking it. I now make sure I give it a little extra when I hit the end of travel and hear the click. The issue happened when I first used the short sled (could have been tired after several shots). Side note, I use the longer sled since this happened & knock on wood I've not had a cocking issue...

· Banned
3,440 Posts
You should actually hear two clicks if cocking it slowly the first faint click is the anti-dry fire spring pulling the ADF back just a fraction before the more audible latch and sear engagement. If you look in your instruction manual it explains all of this with drawings starting on either page 16 or 18, depending on what revision you have.

I've never had the safety loosen up on any bow in over six years, and I've never used loc-tite on them. I just grab one from each side and turn them very tight into each other. I might check them once or twice a year.

Just remember to cock it like you mean it, and you should never have a problem. If you look at the drawings in the manual, it will show you how the string has to push the latch back to the wall, so the sear engages the latch.

· Registered
3,409 Posts
Check out and compare your sleds. There are 2 different styles. I ran in to the same problem and it was the style sled I was using. crappie tom had pics of the different sleds posted up on here last year if I remember right.

· Registered
3,147 Posts
Haven't had a safety post work it's way loose yet. It could be the bottom pic sled prohibiting you from getting it fully cocked. They had some nylon sleds with some extra blocking material. I milled mine off. If you have one with the extra tabs they should swap it for you.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.