Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a new Scott EXXUS Core

Started shooting it and it seems like when the release goes off it makes a little "ting" type noise

Is this normal? Does it just need broken in or should I send it back ? Does it need oil?

Any tiles or advice is appreciated

Thanks !

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's pretty noticeable noise ....it kinda bothers me...want to send it back but season is saturday

·
Registered
21,418 Posts
That "ting" is probably just the sear breaking off. It's a metal part on a metal part. It's going to make a little metallic sound. Trust me, the sound is much louder for you because the release is right up by your ear. I bet people don't even hear it standing just a few feet away.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Mine will ting a little when you set the release colder. If you have a lighter release tension the ting is gone. Still not bad either way.

·
Registered
21,418 Posts
Mine will ting a little when you set the release colder. If you have a lighter release tension the ting is gone. Still not bad either way.
That's true too. If you set the release with a little travel it may "ting" when the sear is sliding on itself. I set mine heavier so I can have it with zero travel so it doesn't make that noise. Not to mention it makes the release super crisp with a very clean feeling release.

·
Registered
7,090 Posts
I have two of these releases and I don't hear anything. A tiny drop of high grade lubricant down into the release onto the sear may help. Don't know for sure.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have it set basically the way it came- I did increase the tension a little bit but it was tinging out of the box -

I guess I should lighten up the tension to get rid of it ?

·
Registered
21,418 Posts
I have it set basically the way it came- I did increase the tension a little bit but it was tinging out of the box -

Try this. Add a little bit more tension to the spring. Then lock the release closed and turn the screw behind the trigger in until it fires. Then back that screw back out 1/8 of a turn. Then set the release and make sure it stays set without automatically firing. If it fires, move the screw out a very little bit more.

That sequence will set the trigger to have zero travel. The heavier trigger will allow you to still make contact with the trigger without it accidentally going off and the release will fire better than it ever has for you. It'll feel like a match grade trigger on a rifle.

Bye the way, you may not want to let your Tru Ball buddies know you're shooting a Scott release if you're still on the shooter staff for them haha.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I have two. My main one has the "ting" sound my backup doesn't. Drove me crazy at first but it's such a great release and my groups tightened up, I don't notice now.

·
Registered
28,599 Posts
I started shooting a thumb trigger release this past May and ended up with an Exxus in short order. Then I found a deal on a second camo version, followed by a great price on a used red/black one in the AT classifieds. Thus I have 3 and each is a bit different. Undoubtedly, the used one is the smoothest because it has the most shots on it. Of the two I bought new, one is far more stiff and has a touch of a "ping" sound but again my release is right behind my ear and nothing else is going to hear that. As a matter of fact, I shot a big doe Thursday evening with a smaller doe within 15 yards and two more coming behind and none of them knew what happened......other than the big doe suddenly bolted off. They obviously did not hear or at least react to my Scott Exxus or my Prime Impact being shot. I am shooting the stiffer version as my practice release while hunting with the "moderate" camo version and keeping the red one in my back as an emergency back up. Works for me......

·
Registered
6,555 Posts

Mine did the same thing. Its annoying but wont affect shooting or deer noticing. I believe its the spring. I used the heavy spring cranked down

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.