Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bad idea to scrimp on a release I know....but getting back into archery after a long nap I stupidly bought a cheap release. Black horse...super tight trigger and no adjustment. I realized after shooting a few releases I liked the idea of a strap instead of a shaft for the trigger. So I grabbed an itty bitty and love it except for one thing. The jaw doesn't seem to lock once you put it on the D loop. Is it supposed to be that touchy? I find that I have to put my index finger behind the trigger and push it forward as I draw so that it doesn't release as I begin to draw. If you put a good bit of pressure on it, it will hold the string....but if you put it on the loop and move your hand a bit it comes off. I'm afraid to trust it as I draw, but putting my index finger behind it makes it a bit "clunky" on the draw. Normal? total noob question eh'? Thanks all....great info here. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I have one and always put my finger against back of trigger on draw. Force of habit but a good one! You may have the set screw set a touch light. If it's backed out to far it will seem like it pops open.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have one and always put my finger against back of trigger on draw. Force of habit but a good one! You may have the set screw set a touch light. If it's backed out to far it will seem like it pops open.
Hey thanks...at least I know it's working properly. Wondering if all Scott releases are like this? Or at least the single jaw.....I'll adjust the trigger and check it. Much appreciated!

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Scott releases are awesome....I would agree that you may have it set too hot. I have one of the LBG releases...as well as about 4 other Scott triggers and I do like 'em hot...they won't hold if you make them TOO hot.

G

·
Registered
345 Posts
I have the little bitty goose release and it will hold as I draw but it is force of habit for me, I do put my finger behind the trigger as a safety net.

As mentioned, it may be set too hot. Adjust and try again.

·
Registered
9,950 Posts
Great releases - I have a little bitty goose that is close to 20 years old and still going strong. Turn the set screw in a bit and you should be good to go. When I draw I push my middle finger up behind the trigger, then at full draw move my index finger onto the trigger and pull through the shot. I like to have mine set heavy enough to be able to put weight of my index finger on the trigger without fear of it going off - but still light enough that there is no perceived creep.

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
never had one problem with any of my scott releases. rhino xt, mongoose, and the fiance' itty bitty goose. you need to check yours something is out of adjustment.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts