Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at buying a new release. I am set on and really like the feel of Scott Releases, but cannot decide between the Scott Little Goose (Single Caliper) and the Scott Shark (Double Caliper).
I will be using it on my 07' Hoyt Vectrix XL shooting from a D-Loop mainly for Hunting with the occassional 3-D Tournament.
I just dont know the differences/benefits of each style of release (Single vs Double Caliper) if there is any at all other than personal prefernce.
Just hoping some of you Archery Talk Gurus might be able to shed some light on this for me and help me pick the best release for my setup.
Thanks in Advance!

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
i just went from a mongoose to a shark and love it, couldn't think of shooting anything else, very smooth and reliable i have heard of the single calipers hanging up if held at an angle shouldn't have that problem with the double calipers though it's all on what you feel will work better for you
for me right now it's the shark

·
The Fin,Mathews Pro Staff
1,826 Posts
i use a regular mongoose one caliper means less moving parts to me.

·
Bears Den Precision
3,634 Posts
For d-loop I prefer the single caliper, seems to be more reliable (d-loop won't slip thru) and for those that shoot off the string, a double caliper seems to release the string much cleaner. JMHO!

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
Ive shot a couple of the Scott releases and i cant tell the difference between a dual and single. I am currently shooting a little goose and dont plan on changing anytime soon.

·
Registered
664 Posts
For d-loop I prefer the single caliper, seems to be more reliable (d-loop won't slip thru) and for those that shoot off the string, a double caliper seems to release the string much cleaner. JMHO!
This is my understanding as well. Off the string- double jaws. Off a loop- single jaw. Both will work either way but tend to work best under the mentioned criteria.

OBH

·
Registered
577 Posts
When it comes down to the nuts and bolts of the precision in accuracy and tunability, the single caliper, no matter the brand will win on both fronts every time.

This has nothing to do with the shooter it is simply behind the physics of the release.

When using a release you are holding tension on the string with the jaws of the release which will be required to move in order for the string to be released.

With this movement (left or right (single caliper) or both left and right (double caliper)) comes something called lateral movement.

Lateral movement is the occilation left or right created by the jaw(s) of the release contacting the string during the actual release of the string. With a double caliper the string can come in contact with one side or the other inconsistently because both jaws are moving during the release process.

However, with a single caliper there is only one moving "jaw" causing higher consistency in the lateral movement of the bowstring during the release process making this the more accurate, efficient model between the two.

·
Back Yard Champion
28,911 Posts
I've used the Scott Mongoose single caliper for the bette part of 11 years and not one problem and this in competition and hunting.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts