Archery Talk Forum banner

Scouted/got pics/just started my feeder site/ what do you think??

679 Views 4 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  jason smith
hey guys. i posted a thread a few weeks ago about a new site i will be hunting this year. it is in woods surrounding a commercial vegitable garden... about 200yds into woods from garden. hunted the garden hard last year got, and saw many does,...no bucks, at least not nice ones. scouted the woods and found a heavily used trail next to the river running through the property. there are rubs every 10ft, and on big trees. no lie,... every 10ft. and fresh. bucks here are just going into shedding. when i found the trail most heavily used, it seems to be the one leading them around and to and from the garden. rubs along the trail and heavy. thought this would be a great site to set up shop on a feed/mineral site. so i located a site that was open and not so thick, placed my trail cam up, through out a bag of corn, and checked back 1 week later. every day, at least 2-3 times daily there were 3,6,even 10deer in there feeding at each time. no bucks, just does. i questioned whether or not i should put a feeder up here, posted a thread on here about, and most said they were in favor of feeders and that it would not make nice bucks leary and start to sqirt the outer area avoiding the feeder. just used them before and did not want to mess this spot up seeing that they were already coming through daily. most of you said and even sent pics of bucks at feeders and said they were fine to use. just wanted to get more opinions than mine. so today, i went back, 1 week since the last, and again, 4,6,even 10 deer at a time feeding again. so i went prepared to set up feeder site. put up 200lb feeder, "to feed 2 times daily,...morning and evening," with mixture of sweet feed and corn. poured out 1 bottle of apple flavored buck jam, put out 1 mineral block, 2 bags of apple chips mixed in with corn and feed, and 1 of the "screw to tree" apple flavored licks. guess i could say i am set for now. just wanted to ask opinions on this,..... with what i have told about what i have seen in activity of deer over the past 2 weeks, and what all i put out for them to feed on, with a hand full of months to go before season,.... what could i expect for this spot,...... a very consistant honey hole, or just another good place to go hunt? and please, feel free to share opinions on what would be good to follow up with feed wise and things to put out over the next few months until season.

thanks,

jason
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
36,987 Posts
Where at in NC ???

· Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
!!

just south of guilford county.

· Registered
495 Posts
Throw out some soybeans. High in protien. With the mineral site, use some dicalcium phosphate and trace mineral salt. Great for antler growth. The deer will hit both very hard and you should have a healthy herd. Sound like a spot to get excited about. Good Luck.

· Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
!!

i am getting excited about this spot.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.