Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

· Registered
10,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to take a plunge and buy yet another trailcam. I currently have (3) Moultrie I-40's. I'm looking real hard at the ScoutGuard SG 550. Does anyone know of any negatives about the SG 550? (ex: battery life, software updates, cold sensative, weather sensitive, trigger speed, ease of use, etc...)

Thanks in advance

· Registered
1,080 Posts
I don't know anything about it, but please post some pix from it if you get one. I have heard alot of good about them also and want to see more pix from that camera.

· Registered
401 Posts
Low IR flash range is about the only negative I have heard. I have two and had a buck about 25 yards away and could easily see his size with the IR. I haven't had any issues with mine. The battery life is supposed to be awesome. I don't think many have used this cam in the cold yet I'm not sure if there are any issues there.

· Registered
1,659 Posts
I have a couple of these cameras. They are by far the best trail cameras I have owned. I have tried Moultrie, Gamespy, etc. and have found this one to take the best pictures and video. The only thing that I think could be better is that it will only accept up to a 2G SD card. This isn't bad if you plan on checking it every week or two depending on your activity. I get a good amount of activity and the 2G lasts a little over a week on the highest megapixel of 5. Here are some pictures for you to take a look at.

Wildlife Deer Nature Antler Nature reserve

Wildlife Deer Antler Woodland White-tailed deer

Elk Deer Antler Wildlife Reindeer

Mammal Wildlife Nature Nature reserve Terrestrial animal

I also have video clips if you would like to see them. I am not sure how to upload them on here so if you would like to see them, tell me how to get them to you. Any other questions, send them my way. Good Luck.

· Registered
10,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Come on now. Can't someone help talk me out of this!:confused:

All you guys just keep saying GOOD things.:wink:

I'm feeling my wallet getting thinner as I write this.

· Registered
1,659 Posts
Trust me when I say this....If you need/want a trail camera, this is the one to buy. You can also save money and get a crappy camera, but if you want a GREAT camera at an affordable price, you're gonna wanna buy one of these. I'm not sure of the prices that you have found but I will refer you to a seller on Ebay that has good prices. You can also get a package that includes the camera, security box, and python cable. This is the guy I bought mine from and I have recommended several people to him. Here is a link to where you can find it.

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZcustom1enterprises

· Registered
132 Posts
I just recieved my new Scoutguard today & got it out on the tree already.

I was just wondering if somebody could answer a couple questions I have.

Is there a small layer of plastic over the I.R. lights I am suppose to take off? I am not sure but it kinda looks like there is something there but a cannot tell.

Secondly, when I get my first pictures off the camera is the time & date going to be on the bottom in the middle of the pic or like the pics I have seen on here lately with the info on the bottom left and right corners(thats the way I hope it is.

Lastly, what do you guys set the sensitivity at low, normal or high.

Thanks for your help it is appreciated

-Paul

· Registered
401 Posts
I don't remember pulling any protective film off of the IR lights.

Most likely you have the updated model. I could be wrong but I believe as long as you bought a camo version as opposed to an all green version you should be guaranteed to have the updated firmware. If you ordered it from an authorized HCO dealer ( beebusyoutdoors.com is the only one) the cam should have been tested by HCO for 48 hours prior to being available for sale. This would guarantee the updated firmware.

This time of year I set my sensitivity to high due to the higher air tempuratures. When it cools off you may want to set it lower to reduce false triggers but I have yet to get a false trigger with this cam. I have a video on a day that the wind must have been blowing pretty hard and this thing never triggered until a deer came by.

· Registered
10,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Trust me when I say this....If you need/want a trail camera, this is the one to buy. You can also save money and get a crappy camera, but if you want a GREAT camera at an affordable price, you're gonna wanna buy one of these. I'm not sure of the prices that you have found but I will refer you to a seller on Ebay that has good prices. You can also get a package that includes the camera, security box, and python cable. This is the guy I bought mine from and I have recommended several people to him. Here is a link to where you can find it.

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZcustom1enterprises
this is the place that i was looking to get mine. Does he not test them like "coop" was saying, and I was looking at getting the camo one. Does it have the software that puts the time and date in the bottom left and right corners?

· Registered
401 Posts
this is the place that i was looking to get mine. Does he not test them like "coop" was saying, and I was looking at getting the camo one. Does it have the software that puts the time and date in the bottom left and right corners?
From chasingame.com:
06-14-08 Announcement: We have been told that all Scoutguard cams will go through a 48 hour operational test at the factory prior to being shipped to the distributor. This is to ensure better quality control and more out of the box reliability.

My mistake....HCO is the authorized distributor. The factory tests the cams.

· Registered
10,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The remotes are not specific to the camera. So yes you can use a remote from another SG.
OK, times up. I done dropped the green for one this afternoon.:dancing:

"coop", Do you know if you can get additional remotes? and/or do you need the remote everytime you visit the camera to change SD cards? or only when changing the options on the camera? The reason I ask is my hunting buddy sometimes checks the cameras and swaps the SD cards, and wouldn't be able to get my remote.

· Registered
401 Posts
I got the green one, is that not a good one?
Only cams bought before July 2008 need to be upgraded to the new firmware if that's what you're referring to. Depending on where you bought it from may depend on how long it sat on the shelf. If you set the cam for 5MP and set it to take 3 pics they should be 3-4 seconds apart. If they are 6-7 seconds apart you may have the old firmware.

Otherwise the green one is just that...a green one :wink:

· Registered
401 Posts
OK, times up. I done dropped the green for one this afternoon.:dancing:

"coop", Do you know if you can get additional remotes? and/or do you need the remote everytime you visit the camera to change SD cards? or only when changing the options on the camera? The reason I ask is my hunting buddy sometimes checks the cameras and swaps the SD cards, and wouldn't be able to get my remote.

$34.95 :wink:
http://www.scouting-cam.com/scgusgreco.html

If you just turn the cam off and swap the card the cam should continue with the same settings. I believe that I have swapped batteries and the cam kept the settings as well. I don't see anywhere in the directions where the cam will revert back to a default setting without manually choosing so through its menu.

· Registered
401 Posts
I would like to add one thing....seems like eveyone who has one of these cams loves them and recommends them. Sooner or later someone is going to buy one that has problems. That's just the way it is and happens from time to time with anything you buy. Last I heard the cams were being individually tested. I would assume that this is possible mainly due to the fact that these cams are new to the market and many have not heard of them yet. Because of that it only makes sense that their production is much lower than say a Cuddyback or Moultrie. At some point production will be too high to test every cam and they will probably randomly pull cams to verify that things still look good. The possibilities of sending out a bad batch may increase just as with any other camera. I'm only saying this because I can see someone getting upset with someone who recommends one if they had problems. I haven't seen anyone on this site say they've had an issue. But if you look at chasingame.com and go to their forums under "HCO scoutguard forum" you'll see that there are still people who run into issues when buying a new one. It happens. I just bought an $85 stabilizer from a company that was extrememly highly recommended on this site. Two days later the screw that attaches the stab to the bow came out. I can't use the stab anymore and have to send it back. It can happen with anything.
I would recommend anyone who buys one (or any other cam) to test it in their home or backyard thoroughly before throwing into the woods only to find out three weeks later that your pics or videos have issues. Or the battery life lasted 5 days...etc. I tested both of my cams near the cat food bowl and took hundreds of pics and videos over a couple days before I put it into the woods.

· Registered
10,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oh no!!!

I would like to add one thing....seems like eveyone who has one of these cams loves them and recommends them. Sooner or later someone is going to buy one that has problems. That's just the way it is and happens from time to time with anything you buy. Last I heard the cams were being individually tested. I would assume that this is possible mainly due to the fact that these cams are new to the market and many have not heard of them yet. Because of that it only makes sense that their production is much lower than say a Cuddyback or Moultrie. At some point production will be too high to test every cam and they will probably randomly pull cams to verify that things still look good. The possibilities of sending out a bad batch may increase just as with any other camera. I'm only saying this because I can see someone getting upset with someone who recommends one if they had problems. I haven't seen anyone on this site say they've had an issue. But if you look at chasingame.com and go to their forums under "HCO scoutguard forum" you'll see that there are still people who run into issues when buying a new one. It happens. I just bought an $85 stabilizer from a company that was extrememly highly recommended on this site. Two days later the screw that attaches the stab to the bow came out. I can't use the stab anymore and have to send it back. It can happen with anything.
I would recommend anyone who buys one (or any other cam) to test it in their home or backyard thoroughly before throwing into the woods only to find out three weeks later that your pics or videos have issues. Or the battery life lasted 5 days...etc. I tested both of my cams near the cat food bowl and took hundreds of pics and videos over a couple days before I put it into the woods.
Not the dreaded, DISCLAIMER!!!!:eek:

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.