Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody got any ideas to thwart treestand thieves.Stopped hunting out of hangons and went to guidos web after losing so many stands.Really nice by the way,but I want to put a ladder stand by a bedding area so i can slip in quietly next year,I am afraid to lose another one.These jerks got two from my friends this year.Believe me I have thought of booby traps etc but I dont want to hurt anyone.I dont know how to stop this guy this is year 5 he has come back.Thought about hex link chain too but I think with the advent of battery angle grinders nothing is safe.Any ideas would be much appreciated.thanks

·
Classifieds Administrator
39,204 Posts
What about putting up a "bait" stand and across from that stand put a trail camera up in the tree to catch him in the act.

You need to find the scumbag thief as he will continue to steal. You need to identify him and then press charges. Sadly if he steals from your woods, he steals from others. Must be a local too that knows the area.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
If you can catch the thief in the act I'd say bust both his knee caps and let him figure out how to get outta there! No really, even though it's a good thought you need to try to do it right. A trail camera is a great idea providing you can hide it good enough that the thief won't see it! Good luck. I hope you catch the butthole!!

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
do these guys show up on foot or do you think they drive & park ? If they drive, maybe try to set up a trail camera there & get a good shot of the plate.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
set a trail cam up in another tree about 10' + off the ground facing the ladder stand... it'll catch him for sure. and he'll never know he was having his picture taken.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Chain the top of your ladder tightly to the tree.

When you climb down,lift the bottom and remove the bottom section. Carry it in and out with you.
#1 They can't climb up tp cut the chain.
#2 Only you will be able to use it.
#3 If they did steal it they'd only have a short lasdder,so why steal it ?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
have any of you all successfully caught somebody using the trail camera pointing down?If so did you use an IR or standard camera.Weve followed his trail out(comes in on a quad) and he takes them to an area where everyone rides in the forest preserve then obviously were screwed.This guys got brass balls.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
shoot them

huh? HUH??:darkbeer::banana::hello2:

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
scottymac123 said:
Anybody got any ideas to thwart treestand thieves?

scottymac123,
Welcome to Archery Talk! :welcome:

A claymore with a trip wire, but you have to hang it at eye level...so as not to ruin any of the good meat. The backstraps and theighs will cut up nicely into good steaks. :hungry:

Or...you could just take your stand in and out with you...everytime. :nod: The small amount of set-up and take-down time is far outweighed by getting your stand/blind stolen once. :frusty:

The key to theft prevention is NOT leaving stuff out there to be stolen. :)
Public or private land matters not.
Chains and locks only slow the process. Bolt cutters are $25. A small can of freon and a small hammer will freeze and break any lock or chain.

Reasons NOT to leave a treestand and/or groundblind:
* Theft
* The weather elements are hard on the parts.
* The critters are hard on the parts.
* It's best if nobody knows you're hunting that area. If someone sees your treestand, next thing you know, there will be another treestand 20 yards from yours.

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
very simple. I stopped using loc ons yrs ago for this very reason. I Stopped being lazy and switched to a climber---- result no more stolen stands.
Loc ons = Lost stands.

When do you learn? How many do you have to lose? 1st time shame on them, 2nd time shame on you. Sorry but at this point you should know better. There are people out there who have no morals and will steal your stand. ACCEPT THAT FACT AND YOU ARE ON YOUR WAY TO FINALLY SOLVING YOUR STOLEN STAND PROBLEM.

P.S. My hunting partner did the up another tree trick with a camera and not only did he loose the stand but he lost his camera as well.

I told him "STUPID IS AS STUPID DOES"

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
When you leave your stand in the woods it takes away from the outdoor experience of other hunters. Unless you are on private property, I don't have allot of sympathy.

There is a stand near our best spot on public land I have never touched, but it sure takes away from my experience. I hope they all get stolen and sold at a garage sell. Sorry, that's just the way I feel. SRM

1 - 16 of 16 Posts