Archery Talk Forum banner

Searching in the morning for a big buck I shot...opinions please

1526 26
I had a real nice buck slip into my shooting lane at 30 yards. I put my 30 yard pin centered up and down and fairly tight to the shoulder and made my shot. Arrow flight looked to be right on course and my arrow looked to drop right into where I was aiming. I also didn't see him react to the shot. I heard the arrow hit him and he let out a very loud grunt/exhale and ran off. It was right before sunset and he was in the shadows plus he was immediately concealed by brush as he ran off. He did seam to stay low to the ground when he ran as I didn't see him bounding off.

I looked for almost 45 minutes for my arrow and couldn't find it. I had a good reference point for where I shot too. I also check for blood in the immediate area and couldn't find a drop. That's when I came back out.

I'll be out there at first light and plan on spending the entire day doing grid searches for this guy.

I'm thinking I hit him about mid way up for my entry and that I must have hit the opposite shoulder preventing a pass through. Or if he did drop a little I may have hit the shoulder blade and not gotten a pass through.

I'm hoping my setup is enough to bring him down and I'll be able to find him tomorrow. My setup/arrow usually gets me excellent penetration with my arrow weight at 444 grains and tipped with razorcap broadheads.

Would like to hear what your experience has been with deer that let out a loud grunt/exhale when shot. Thanks!!!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
1,391 Posts
I have only had 1 deer make a noise like that at the shot, and it was a gutshot deer. Not saying thats what this is, just my experience. If you backed out without making much noise, you wil find him close to the shot site in the morning, good luck!

· Premium Member
5,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have only had 1 deer make a noise like that at the shot, and it was a gutshot deer. Not saying thats what this is, just my experience. If you backed out without making much noise, you wil find him close to the shot site in the morning, good luck!
Unless my arrow got deflected badly the last few yards...plus a got shot would've passed through...sure hope that's not the case.

· Registered
562 Posts
Right Thing

You did the right thing! If in doubt....back out! Get out there first thing in the morning and do a grid search. I'm sure you will find good sign and probably find that he is not that far from where you shot him! GOOD LUCK! Let us know how it turns out!:wink:

· Premium Member
5,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You did the right thing! If in doubt....back out! Get out there first thing in the morning and do a grid search. I'm sure you will find good sign and probably find that he is not that far from where you shot him! GOOD LUCK! Let us know how it turns out!:wink:
I sure hope so. I had three other hunters in the area when I walked out so I'm pretty nervous about one of them finding him and tagging it. That's pretty sad but the way it seams to be now days. I met two of them when walking out and when asked I said I saw nothing.

· Premium Member
5,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You must have read my thread earlier today!!

I have shot and killed 2 bucks in the past that have let out a loud/low grunt = lung shot..you will find him tomorrow morning...pics please!!

http://75.126.80.18/vb/showthread.php?t=765406
No I hadn't but thanks for the feedback!!! I thought I recalled hearing that reaction on a video I watched once. If he's out there I WILL find him.

· Registered
851 Posts
From my experience, that grunt sound is usually means a good lung hit. I shot a large doe last week just below the shoulder near the area where you think you may have hit him and she made that grunting sound. Did find my arrow but it was a sparse blood trail and took an hour to find her. Good Luck

· wannabtradguy
15,328 Posts
I shot 2 bucks that made that noise, 1 with a gun and 1 with a bow. The gun shot deer I hit in the stomach. he went about 100 yards. the bow shot deer was hit right thru the chest. he went about 30.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.