Archery Talk Forum banner

Second bow ?

1231 21
I was thinking of getting a second bow and wanted to know what you guys that have 2 do. Do you get two bows the same so everything feels and shoots the same or do you get bows that are different for different occasions? I mainly thinking of getting one as a back up. My bow is for hunting but I do a few 3D shoots in the summer.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
693 Posts
I wouldn't mind a 2nd one once I can afford it. I'd probably want a dedicated SG bow though so I won't tear up the meat too much shooting 70. My thing is I like the flatter shooting bows, which means you've gotta go with more draw weight.

· Registered
131 Posts
Don't currently have a back up, but I've been thinking about it more and more lately.

I think a good option for a back up is a traditional set-up. If something goes wrong with a piece of gear it's usually at a critical moment, and that destroys my confidence in my equipment which leads to all sorts of other problems down the line. However knowing that I have a back up that has no moving parts and doesn't require a trip to the shop offers piece of mind, so even if something goes wrong on my primary bow I don't get the jitters.

When I get a second bow that's what I plan to do.

Demo Dick

· Team #12 - 2009 Winners!!
10,155 Posts
I wouldn't mind a 2nd one once I can afford it. I'd probably want a dedicated SG bow though so I won't tear up the meat too much shooting 70. My thing is I like the flatter shooting bows, which means you've gotta go with more draw weight.
or lighter arrows and a speed bow:wink:

· Registered
7,785 Posts
I have 2 bows one target bow and one hunting bow ! But both I know can be used for both!
Target bow!:

Hunting bow:

· Excited Delerium
1,024 Posts
Originally, yes. I was shooting an '05 Allegiance and bought an '06 Elite E-500. Basically the same bows (but better limbs on the Elite) I did have two different rests. one being a Drop Zone and the other a Trophy Taker. They both shot the same arrows and BH's so I could just grab and go.

Now I have an '07 Commander I bought from the Bowhunters Superstore from their sale in August. It is longer ATA, but with all the accessories it comes in about the same mass weight as the Allegiance did. The E-500 is almost a pound lighter, which is nice on long treks.

The E-500 is much faster, and has a harsher draw cycle. The Commander is so smooth that 70# feels like 60#. I had to put it on a scale to check because the draw is so smooth.

I shoot regularly with both bows, and to me there is not that much of a difference switching between the two.

I am shooting Trophy Taker rests on both of them, and both have Spot Hogg sights. The also both have Specialty Archery peeps and a two piece BowTech quiver. I've tried to keep them similar as much as I can.

Back-ups are a must in my opinion. I am typically a long way from home in hunting camp, and I can't just run back and go to the shop to fix a problem. I don't think this is as big a deal hunting in the MidWest where you're hunting a local piece of property.

· Registered
3,555 Posts
back up

2 bows the same.

· Registered
2,403 Posts
Got 3 bows and each one has it's own personality but I shoot all of them on a regular basis so the differences are slight. Could hunt with any of them and have.

· BOW ONLY!
2,591 Posts
I have 2 Drenalins. One camo and one black. All the same accessories on each one and shooting the same arrows. I prefer to have the same feel if something goes wrong with bow #1. I have the second one all black to use in the blind as well. It works out well.

· Registered
219 Posts
I agree with what someone else said, two of the same is best..

just because basically nothing changes. During this year's hunting I was riding my trail bike down the trail and a limb got caught between the draw string and the wheel and pulled the drawstring off the cam. I had another X force ready to go and within 10 min it was ready and like I never had one go down. If you plan on traveling get a spare, is all I can say. John

· Registered
3,050 Posts
I have three nearly identical bows - two hunting that are identical and one target that is heavier with a low-letoff cam to give me a better workout when I'm practicing. I keep all three bows tuned up and shoot the same arrows out of both hunting bows. It is a bit expensive as I have three spot hoggs, three drop zones, etc. I keep the accessories that I like on all my bows and get rid of the rest.

If I were interested in buying a new bow, I would buy the best bow that I wanted and keep my old bow as a backup. Then next round, I'd do the same and then sell (or give away) my first backup and transfer the accessories (assuming I still wanted them). That way, you always have a good bow for a backup. You never know when you might need the backup bow. Look at the other thread today about a guy dropping his knife on his bow cutting the string and cables. He is in a bad spot right at the start of bow season.

I'm about to get a used LX pretty soon in a trade for a speargun.

Ray

· Registered
708 Posts
I have had 6-7 bows at one time. I usually end up selling the ones that don't feel right for me and keep 2. I have 1 solo cam and 1 hybrid cam, the solo is much smoother drawing and I practice more with that one to save my back, and shoulder. I can pick up either bow and send the arrows to the same place. I don't feel using 2 bows is a problem and I like having a backup. what I do feel can be a problem, is switching releases constantly. I use the same release so I get familiar with the characteristics of the same release.

I do think that a person new to archery should practice with one bow until they get their form down to second nature and get consistant accuracy. I have seen and done it myself, one's expectations aren't meant and the equipment gets blamed. Then one is convinced the bow must be the problem and out goes the old in comes the new and its back to square one. One things for sure" if it doesn't fit you must acquit " if the bow doesn't fit or feel right in your hand you either need to make adjustments or get a bow that fits.

· Registered
2,906 Posts
I just got a BT General as a backup. I shoot it at a higher poundage then my elite so the same arrow is close to same speed. I think the General could turn into my #1. The lack of shock and noise is unbelievable, what else could you ask for when hunting?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.