Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went hunting early this morning.I'm in my stand one hour before first light.Half before being able see,i hear a deer coming.I can see gold on top of head knowing a buck just walked by me 10yds away to early to shoot.Should i move stand closer to bedding?Or blame on moon phase and hunt the same stand hoping for later movement in the morning?

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
No Don't Shoot! That's idiotic! If you can't see where you are aiming you could easily end up wounding a trophy. It sounds to me like you've done everything right. Your stand is good, the moon is full, and the deer are heading back to bed early after a night of frolicking in the moonlight. Just be patient. If you wait it out, that big ole' buck will make a mistake and give you a shot. Hunt smart and play the wind. Don't try to change his pattern, just try to be a fly on the wall until the time is right. Don't force the shot. Aim. Pick a spot! Good Luck!

·
Registered
859 Posts
I know the feeling. A buck not only came to my tree before light but stood almost directly below rubbing a tree for a good minute. He moved on before light. - You still stand a chance.

·
I like big buffs!
4,272 Posts
Glad I'm not the only one.........

I had at least two bucks right under my stand JUST at last light. I could barely make out their shapes.

Worst part was, two of them were sparring 15 yrds away and I didn't get to see any of it!

The good news is the moon is gettin smaller and smaller now............:D

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
deerheaven,
I agree with JDES900X and RDH....just wait and the shot will present itself. ;) If you're seeing them and they're not spooking, then you're doing everything right. Hang in there! :cool:

At least you're seeing them. I've only been seeing skinheads. :p

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

·
Registered
3 Posts
:( I had 8 deer (3 bucks) under/around me the other day and to dark to see pins. I could see deer do to a big utility light shining.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts