Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently bought my first bow and it is very loud. Not sure how old it is, but its a York Trophy. 28-30 draw, 55-70lb. Using 491 grain V3s. Any way to quit this thing down?

·
Registered
97 Posts
You could put some limb savers dampners on the back sides of the limbs and some monkey tails on the string. Other than that I'm not sure. I looked them up online and I can't see much else to do, honestly. Post some pics of the old girl of you have some.

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
Thats an oldie. Try cat whiskers on the string

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
I really can't remember a quiet York bow.
Is this a tear drop bow or does the string attach to the cam?
Most tear drop bows were designed to shoot about 9 grains per pound.
491gr. arrow may be close if your shooting about 55 pounds.
Cat whiskers tied to the string will help and also adding a string stop may help.

·
Registered
8,431 Posts
Build the heaviest arrows you possibly can. They will be aluminum with heavy points. You bow will be very slow, but will have pretty good momentum.
Also, be sure you have a dacron strings on it. A bow from that era can't stand modern string materials. B-50 string material is made for this.

If you want to seriously get into archery, a more modern bow will be much more pleasant to shoot. Compound bow design has come a long way since that bow was built.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
If you can adapt a string stop to it, it will help quite a bit but the old styles like that will never be as quite as the modern bows.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Was looking at a limb saver stop that looks like it will fit. Can be mounted to a front mount stabilizer. But also looks like it can be mounted in place of the cable guide and act as both. Which do you suggest?

·
USMC 04/2005-05/2013
3,603 Posts
Cat whiskers and heavy arrow like mentioned are your only hope. It will still not be anywhere near as quiet as a modern bow.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I really can't remember a quiet York bow.
Is this a tear drop bow or does the string attach to the cam?
Most tear drop bows were designed to shoot about 9 grains per pound.
491gr. arrow may be close if your shooting about 55 pounds.
Cat whiskers tied to the string will help and also adding a string stop may help.
The bow is set at 70lbs now. My arrows are V3s rated for 70-80lbs since they are about 31 1/2" long with 4" vanes and 125grain tips. Looks like I'm missing by about 140grains then. Will I get that out over aluminum shafts?

·
The Impartial Archer
17,643 Posts
The bow is set at 70lbs now. My arrows are V3s rated for 70-80lbs since they are about 31 1/2" long with 4" vanes and 125grain tips. Looks like I'm missing by about 140grains then. Will I get that out over aluminum shafts?
Easily.......that's where they shine. You need to tell us what the draw weight you have it set to though.....not the range. Plus the arrow length for your draw....again not what the bow can be adjusted to.

Last there is NOTHING wrong with going old school......I do it with all my accessories just not the bow.......lol. That bow probably isn't loud for that era.....it's just loud compared to what everyone else is shooting. It's the limb angles that make bows so quiet these days and you can't change that.....so all you can do is add catwhiskers, arrow weight, and maybe a string stop but I wouldn't add the string stop.

Just remember if you want to shoot that bow you have to shoot it for what it is and be happy......or get a newer bow. What you don't want to do is try to make it shoot like the new bows do because it won't. Load it up with a heavy arrow and catwhiskers and it will probably shoot about 185 - 210 FPS tops....and still be loud compared to a new bow. You can still make it work NO doubt but you need to understand it will be a close range weapon.

If you shoot a really light arrow you might get 230 or so out of it and it will sound like a firecracker and might break a limb........lol. So set it up like it was made to shoot or get a newer bow. I had an old York in the 80's.

Good luck

Attachments

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
I'm sorry, but it is like asking for advice on making a 1978 VW run as smooth and quiet as a 2016 Mercedes. That bow never was quiet, fast, or smooth shooting bow for it's time. It is what it is. There were much better bows out at that time like the Jennings or the Carrol. You can buy a 1990s bow without steel cables and with a riser cut past center for under $100. And for under $300, you can buy a good used bow from 2006 that has a lot of the features found on the bows today.

Just stay away from Craigs List and Loan shops. And it wouldn't hurt to find a friend that knows a little bit about archery before buying your next bow. That particular bow would make you hate archery and you could never find someone to replace the cables on that bow anyway. Once again I hope I don't hurt your feelings but I have seen people show up at the range with bows like yours and nobody could help them because they hadn't been born yet when that bow was sold.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Cool old bow!

They are not the most ideal thing but old compounds are very interesting, everybody had so many different ideas on how to do things. Makes them neat to look at, how many bows have a pretty wooden riser?

Have fun with it, I agree with a heavier arrow and some string silencers (I remember these big puff ball things from bows around that era were popular) will help reduce it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Pom-Poms made of yarn for string silencers will help. Serve them into the string about 4" from the cams. They are very light and "old School", free too. Make 10 turns around three fingers to make the yarn coil. Serve the coil between the string strands. Cut loops after. After shooting a little while you will have puff balls on the string.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all the advice. Ill do what I can with it. Sure it will probably only be good to about 40yards but when I get something newer it will have been nice to begin with this one.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Cool old bow!

They are not the most ideal thing but old compounds are very interesting, everybody had so many different ideas on how to do things. Makes them neat to look at, how many bows have a pretty wooden riser?

Have fun with it, I agree with a heavier arrow and some string silencers (I remember these big puff ball things from bows around that era were popular) will help reduce it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts