Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just bought a new Maxxis 31 (29", 70lbs) and I need to get a new stabalizer for it. I'm curious what everyone thinks is a good type to get? Also, what weight and length are recommended, or is it just personal preference?

·
Registered
703 Posts
It is a lot of preference but there are a few good rules of thumb to follow. Use the longest you are comfortable with and get as much of the weight on the end of the stabilizer as possible.

Since the IBO rules state my Stabilizer cannot be over 12 inches I started there. Then I figure out how much weight I wanted on the front based on other stablilizer I had in the past.

I got so used to shooting a 12 inch Stabilizer I have the same thing on my hunting rig.

Take a look at Xtreme Stabilization. They can make just about anything you might want.

·
Registered
22,697 Posts
I personally use a 12 inch Smooth Stability because of it's adjustability and the way it performs.
www.smoothstability.com

·
Registered
935 Posts
Personal preference for as much weight as you can hold. I've got a modular Paradigm Archery S.O.S. that goes from 8-24" in sections that is adjustable. Also have a huge dead weight for the end of it. Make the setup heavy but dead stable in hand.

Craig

·
Registered
5,536 Posts
you'll gonna get a lot of answer to this. i say go and see if you can try out a bunch of them. personally i like them long. i do have to say i like the xtreme a and not because i'm on the staff either. i try them before i was onboard.

Bill

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
I personally use a 12 inch Smooth Stability because of it's adjustability and the way it performs.
www.smoothstability.com
I have to join in here. Since I tried one and played with length and weight, I am sold on the smooth stability. Right now I have an 8" shaft mounted on the STS bracket which puts it almost 10 inches, and I have two weights on the end. I personally have always used 12 to 14 for my hunting bows before.

Ted

·
Registered
846 Posts
I am using a 12" 14 oz. B-STINGER on my X-FORCE GX and really like it. It was heavy at first but, you get used to it and it really helps the bow to settle down quickly and hold very steady.

·
Registered
669 Posts
B-Stinger 12" 11oz!Holds nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
811 Posts
Get a paradigm sos...Best and most customizable stab on the market...It looks good as well with no steering wheel on the front of it...

·
Registered
935 Posts
Get a paradigm sos...Best and most customizable stab on the market...It looks good as well with no steering wheel on the front of it...
:wink: Just ordered another extension to get me out to 30" and some extra half moon weights. I am also getting a couple extra Dead Weights to drill out the inside for a lighter version.

Joe is a great guy to deal and runs a great buisness!

Craig

·
Registered
24,903 Posts
yup. i love my SOS. the built in dissconnect and offset are sick as well.

im adding another 6" section to mine to get it to 24".

plus Joe is a great guy to deal with.

·
Banned
17,821 Posts
although the sos probably does its job,i think it looks tacky and its quiet expensive.

ive tried a lot of different stabs and im totally sold on b-stingers.
they hold so well its unreal. im sure the SS stabs work very similarly.
i prefer the 8" 8 oz with a few limb savers and bowjax. enough weight to do its job and light enough for long pack country hunts.

·
Registered
811 Posts
although the sos probably does its job,i think it looks tacky and its quiet expensive.

i prefer the 8" 8 oz with a few limb savers and bowjax. enough weight to do its job and light enough for long pack country hunts.
WOW, I dont know whats tacky about full customization....Length,colors,weight,
bowjax....I dont even own one but have seen them and shot them...Very top notch stab and what is expensive....119.00 is a good price for the product you get...No company on the market gives you what paradigm does....:darkbeer:

·
Registered
935 Posts
WOW, I dont know whats tacky about full customization....Length,colors,weight,
bowjax....I dont even own one but have seen them and shot them...Very top notch stab and what is expensive....119.00 is a good price for the product you get...No company on the market gives you what paradigm does....:darkbeer:
I shot B-Stinger previously but switched when I switched bows. The SOS has so many possibilities its crazy. With mine I can get:

8, 12, 14, 18, 20, 24, 30" with my setup. Along with the Dead Weight at hte end and endless customizations with the Half Moon weights that are included and extras that can be ordered.

Compared to the top of the line Target B-Stingers the price is similar in cost but much more adjustable which is why I chose the S.O.S. system.

I can setup short for hunting or long for target.

But everyone is entitled their own personal opinion and thats fine as well. I do say don't knock it till you try it though.

Craig

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I'll cast my vote for the Xtreme Stabilization X3, you can screw off one piece of the rod to make it shorter and also add or remove weight to find the optimal balance for your bow. You can also get it with the XQ treatment to make your bow completely silent.

·
Registered
24,903 Posts

not that expensive really. most stabs are $80 than its about $20 for a disconnect so theres $100. sos is $120 and has a dissconnect and offset built in and its 3 stabilizers in one.

but like mentioned only thing that matters is what helps you hold best. and for me it is the sos with a dead weight.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts