Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all ive been doing a lot of research on bow making.and have the itch to try and make some home made bows for my boys and nefews.to start them into archery any one done so before.would a self bow [long bow]made of hickory or a all out laminated long bow be better to start out with .my thoughts are the selfbow would be cheaper because you no there be many thuogh aways till iget the hang of it.....hawk ps any suggestions on a bow making book for idiots :D would be great....hawk;)

·
Registered
380 Posts
i make laminated ones. for me these are pretty easy. some people like whitefeather have handmade self bows. i don't have the patience for a self bow. www.threeriversarchery.com for youth bow building kits. traditional bowyers bible volume 1,2,3 for excellent info on self bows. bingham projects for laminated bow kits and materials.
don

·
Registered
453 Posts
For the kids, I'd do selfbows and get hickory boards for materials. If you've got a bandsaw and spindle sander you can whip up several in an afternoon. At least, you can once you get the hang of it. ;)

For the older kids, the ones mature enough to handle woodworking hand tools with supervision, making their own selfbow is a good project. But I'd keep them off the power tools.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Traditional Bowyers Bible Vol. 1

Page 84. "Before being tillered, staves should be dried to local equilibrium with conditions in which they will be stored and used."

Moisture content/Relative humidity

6%/30%
8%/43%
10%/55%
12%/65%
14%/75%

The lower the moisture content, the more cast(efficiency) a given bow will have. (although going too low makes the bow more apt to break.) Also a bow made in 50% humidity air, but used in 75% humidity, over time, will lose weight, have limp cast, and take excessive set. A bow made under 75% humidity, but used in 50% humidity will gain weight over time.

Just some stuff taken from TBB Vol. 1 Anyone interested in making a selfbow, should definately pick them up. Vol. 1 is the most important.

Hope that helps....JP

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Just to add a couple of cents, I shoot a Hickory selfbow and it shoots great compared with other woods that my my friends shoot. It's supposed to be much easier to work up a bow than the other "traditional" wood, bodart or Bois de Arc. I like the looks of dark stained hickory better too.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Self bows

Board bows are fun to make and shoot fine for kids just starting. I have made them from ash, hickory, oak, and maple. they all work fine for lower poundage bows (up to 40# @28).

If you have the tools it costs about $5 for the board and then the cost of the string. If you make your own strings it is a total experiance.

Nothing beter then building your own bow and shooting it.

P.S. You can make a tiller stick real easy. There is alot of info on the net.

I have some ash bows that are great shooters. I keep around for people to shoot when they come over and want to try the sport.

Hope it works out Bob:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts