Archery Talk Forum banner

"Sell" me on a Barnsdale bow!

817 Views 8 Replies 2 Participants Last post by  Unclegus
I hear alot of good things about the Barney bows...Heres the rub...I'm primarily interested in a bow for 3-D, and Indoor spots until the company forced Me to work evenings...I'm a bit of a speed feak, but I base that on just wanting as little to look at when shooting as possible, so less Pons in the sight the better...I KNOW that I would shoot as well, or better with a clicker, and I could shoot at least 4 pins in My sight with a Clicker...Having said that, how does the Barney bows compare to the Hoyt longer A-T-A bows, in regards to tuning, shootability, and arrow speed...What kind of numbers should I get, with a Classic X, with a 27.5" to 28" draw, and grained out arrows??..If I am gonna shoot with a Clicker, I need a bow that has a softer back wall, so that I can pull through the clicker...Pulling through the clicker should take care of most T.P. issues that I have, I have shot a Clicker with a recurve, and shot pretty well with it...Bottom line, all of You "Barney" bowshooters, SELL Me, (A "speed freak") on a Barnsdale bow....I also have a second question on the Barney bows...Can I get the longer riser,(23") with the shorter limbs, so that the brace height is under 9"??...Over-all A-T-A somewhere around 43"-44" long?...Uncle Gus, isnt Our draw length about the same length?...I'm right around the 28" A.M.O. mark....I've been seriously obsessing about these Barney bows lately, please help keep me from doing something stupid....AGAIN!!...L.O.L....Jim
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
5,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
One more question....What can I expect to be different, and/or better about a Barnsdale bow, VS. the Martin Scepters (keeping the A-T-A, and brace height specs close to each other) that I have now??...The Scepters do have some jump/kick at the shot, but make very good speed for the specs of the bow design at 43" A-T-A, and approx. 8" brace height...Just wanted to add that...Thanks!......Jim

· Registered
6,471 Posts
Don't expect a great amount of speed out of the Barney, but then again, they are not slow... Just expect the most forgiving bow with less hand shock than anything you've ever shot...And with the shoot thru, the draw is absolutely torque free. If I planned to shoot 3D, I honestly think I'd go with the Septor because of the speed... (washing my mouth out with soap as we speak)

· Registered
5,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Uncle Gus...Thanks for the reply....In reference to You saying that the Barney bows arent fast, but not slow either, what kind of speed numbers could I expect, say 60# draw, at 28", and grained out (5 g.p.p.) arrows??...I think that for local 3-D, I could get by with alot slower arrow speed than I once believed....2 weekends ago, my buddy absolutely creamed me on a local 3-D course, He was finger shooting that old Revolution bow, and using heavy arrows...We had chrono'd that bow at 255 f.p.s. on Saturday..L.O.L...But, even at 255 f.p.s., He had three .019 pins and the pin gap was still pretty close...Some chrono numbers would be helpfull...I fully understand that most folks that shoot a Barnsdale bow (or a bow similar to it) dont shoot them for the speed, but I could learn to get along with a slower bow, if it shot as good as the Barnsdales are said to shoot, and could be shot with a clicker...Thanks for the reply.....Take Care!.....Jim

· Registered
6,471 Posts
Jm, I barely shoot 40#... You need to get on the phone and talk to Dave. He's the guru. He's really easy to talk to and won't expect you to order a bow just beccause you called. Or you can email. I'll bet he answers you in less than four hours. These are damn fine bows.....

· Registered
5,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Uncle Gus...Thanks for the reply...I reckon that I'll try to call Dave B. and run it all by Him...I did send Him a couple e-mails last winter, asking about an Ultimate X with the Wedel cams, but got no reply...I'll try the phone call thing....Thanks.....Jim

· Registered
6,471 Posts
That's pretty unusual, although I do know there was a time his computer was down for a short time...

· Registered
5,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Uncle Gus, what do You think is a good time to call Dave B.??.I'm free in the mornings, up to about this time of day....Thanks..Jim

· Registered
6,471 Posts
I have no idea...I usually call around 10;00 when I need something

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.