Archery Talk Forum banner

would you sell your deer if it were legal ?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont wanna get the ethical police on me here this is a hypothetical question only, if you lived in a state with unlimited does like new jersey and also if it were legal which it is not by the way. would you sell your deer?

·
Registered
12,838 Posts
I can say I have had buddies offer to pay for my processing if I let them have some of the meat. That would count as selling my venison.

There is a big difference between people who hunt deer for profit and those who accept cash donations to help offset the cost of hunting.

I have alot of friends and familly that enjoy my venison but they do not hunt so I am their only chance and getting a taste. I usually give away more than I keep,

I also have been known to part with some jerkey on occasion. And I have been compensated for it.

My friends and familly eat well when fall comes around. I hunt to provide.

So

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
I would rather donate also. I just wouldn't feel right seeing how I have been blessed to just be able to hunt in the first place.

·
Real helos, have 2 rotors
10,241 Posts
I don't think it should be legal to sell any animal or its parts if it was taken by hunting methods. For several reasons, mostly FDA regulation.

But..... IF it was legal I would sell some venison to offset the costs of hunting/processing.

·
Registered
11,770 Posts
I bet these states that want hunters to kill more deer would get alot more killed if you could sell it. We have program called share the harvest here in MO, the first so many whole deer donated are covered at 100%....after they hit the quota you have to donate the whole deer and pay for it. That really doesnt make much sense to me, I bet the could fill up some food pantries if they would let people throw in what they wanted!! '94

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
If it was legal, sure for the right price. Everything I own is for sale for the right price. HCH

·
Registered
11,770 Posts
indiana ******* said:
I always keep 2 for the freezer every year & the others i get i donate them to hunters helping the hungry.
How does your program work??? Does the hunter have to pay the processing? '94

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I can only take one deer so you prolly know my answer. If I were to live back East I suppose I'd also donate the "Extra" to the needy.

Aim small......Miss small

·
Banned
4,365 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Defiantly Donate, Not For Sale. We had a guy at work that sold Deer Jerky, and I always thought that was illegal, but if he makes it for you from your Deer and you pay him for it, it's not.:confused:

·
Registered
782 Posts
Better off Donating it... Bless someone else with the blessing GOD gives you! :angel:
Just a few of the Places that will take the meat... all you have to do is feild dress them in most cases. You would be suprised how happy they are when you drop them off!!! So if your freezer is full share your blessing...

·
Registered
36,982 Posts
People at work are always asking me to give them some deer meat .. well after a polite NO , then thay ask me to sell them some ,and I reply that it will cost them $200.00 a pound , how much do ya want ...:wink: man you should see the look on their faces :eek:

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Postone said:
Better off Donating it... Bless someone else with the blessing GOD gives you! :angel:
Just a few of the Places that will take the meat... all you have to do is feild dress them in most cases. You would be suprised how happy they are when you drop them off!!! So if your freezer is full share your blessing...

Yeah..............something like that.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
I've given away a lot of it over the years, and have no problem donating it, or giving it to someone who doesn't hunt, but wants to enjoy some. I overfilled my freezer last year, and gave away about 50# or so.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts