Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Let me give a little history of whats goin on. I have a 2005 PSE Firestorm Lite, 70 lb 30" draw length, I shoot with a release and with no fingers touching the front of the riser, palm grip only. This bow shoots awesome and fits me like a glove. I have never ever slapped my arm with the string.

Now on to the problem. I inherited a 2005 Switchback. 70 lb 30" draw length. This was my best friends bow that his parents gave to me after he passed away. I cannot shoot this bow. My forarm right behind my wrist about two inches gets pummelled with every shot. It will be black and blue after just two shots. Heres what I have tried so far.

Step 1: Took bow to Matthews dealer, they untwisted (lengthened) the cable and twisted (shortened) the string, and checked draw length and it measured 30 3/4" with a 30 cam. Result...... still getting hit with string but not as fierce. They suggested shorter draw length cam.

Step 2: Bought 29" cam, took to dealer, installed cam, no change in arm slap. Draw length measured 29" exactly.

Step 3: Took matters into my own hands. Did alot of reading here and on Matthews boards and started checking specs. ATA measurement was 5/8" too long (should be 33 had 33 5/8) with limb bolts bottomed out. Measured string just stretched hand tight 92 1/2" (should be 91 3/4" under 100 lbs tension) Measured cable 35 1/2" (in spec, but there were no twists at all in it)

First thing I did was twist the cable to get ATA to 33 1/8" which was as close as I could get it. Then I twisted the string to get it to spec (again this was under hand tension only) Both these took a whole lot of twisting. I didn't go as far as cam timing yet.

Took bow to draw it once or twice before taking measurements and I could not pull it back. Hung it on the scale and it was drawing 87 lbs. :eek:

Went back to press and untwisted cable some. Got draw weight back down to 74 ish and of course this threw out the ATA spec. Took and shot a few and I am still getting slapped. Where do I go next, new string and cable? There has been less than 200 shots put through this bow.

Sorry for the long post, I wanted to give as much info as possible. I really dont think my buddy would have wanted this bow lying around, he would want it to be shot.

Chris

·
Registered
17,834 Posts
twist the string to get it into spec,being that long is why the draw weight and lenght is long,twist both ends to get the string back to proper length.shortening the string will shorten draw lenght and reduce draw weight.as far as the arm slap the way you grip the bow is critical to keeping clearance from string slap,grip should fall between your thumb base and your life line with your fingers coming across the frnt of your grip at a 45 degree angle.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply. So to make sure I got you. Should I untwist the cable along with twisting the string to get the correct draw weight and cam timing and not worry about ATA measurement? If I understand right that shortening the cable will increase draw length so I need to do both as the draw weight is 70 with limbs maxed. I dont think its my grip because I never hit my arm with my PSE. One thing I did notice is that the PSE has an 8 3/4" brace height and the switchback is only 7". Would this make a difference as to how close the string is to my arm?

Chris

·
Registered
381 Posts
Every bow shoots different. I shoot the same UltraTec for both tournament shooting (indoor spots and FITA) and also deer hunting. When set up for competition my draw length is 28 1/4". When I tear off all the fancy target stuff, I reduce my draw length to 27 1/4". I like the shorter draw because it's easier to get a consistant shot when at odd angles in a tree stand.
Now to the point. I have to wear an arm guard when tournament shooting, and I don't when I'm deer hunting because my arm is bent, and farther away from the string.
I'm telling you this to give you an idea that all things being equal.....are not always equal....like your two bows with equal draw lengths....one slapping...one not.
Besides your tuning problems there is nothing wrong with your Switchback. The arm slap is not caused from any tuning issue.....it's simply the bow reacting to your style of gripping that particular bow.
There is nothing wrong with strapping on an armguard. My advice is put one on and enjoy shooting your friends bow.

p.s. My condolences with losing your buddy.

·
Registered
17,834 Posts
the brace height will definately cause a differance in arm slap longer brace height gives you more clearance,with proper form you can shoot that bow with no contact at all,the brace height is probably short if your axle lenght is long making it even worse in that matter.i would work on getting that string closer to spec since you stated the cable was right on as far as length goes.as far as specs cam timing and axle length should be first priorities and let bh fall where it may.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I'm experiencing the EXACT SAME PROBLEM when I switched to a new bow. I too blamed it on the shorter brace height, I went from an 8" to a 7". While I was e-mailing Parker about something else, I asked about the problem. This is the reply I got:

"Let me assure you of one thing. If the string is slapping your forearm, your draw length is too LONG and/or your torqueing your wrist on the shot. 9 times out of 10 when a string is slapping someone’s forearm with any consistency it’s because the archer is drawing back too far putting his bow holding arm in a locked position (it should always be slightly bent at the elbow) which puts the forearm in harm’s way. The other 1 time out of 10 the forearm slapping phenomena is because of poor form. The archer usually grips the bow incorrectly or too tightly and as a result the wrist is bent in towards the flight path of the string, again putting your forearm in harm’s way. Brace height has more to do with “forgiveness” of a bow (i.e. It’s ability to forgive minor form errors) than it does anything else. I might also add that more experienced archer’s pay zero attention to the brace height of a bow mostly because they shoot hundreds of arrows a week and are fairly consistent and confident in their form."

Well honestly, my old bow always slapped me too, but not as bad as this new one. So I've deduced that I've probably been doing something wrong all along but it wasn't an issue until the shorter brace height came to bear. If I conciously grip the bow "perfectly", no string slap. I can shoot it without an armguard. That tells me that it really is me. Now the question is, do I really want to think about every shot I make, or just wear the arm guard and have fun?? Tough choice, yet to be made!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the help. When I get a chance I will get a picture of my form with each bow and let you guys take a look. Like I said I thought that with my grip (or lack thereof) it would be real tough to torque a bow. I dont touch the front of the riser at all when shooting, but I could be torqueing anyway.

Chris

1 - 8 of 8 Posts