Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may have been posted, but I've only just found out, it seems bows in WA are now, or at least will be an illegal weapon.

Mon 12 October, 2009
Portfolio: Police
Police Minister Rob Johnson today flagged tough new restrictions on the sale and supply of controlled weapons to minors as part of an overall State Government strategy to improve safety in and around entertainment precincts in Western Australia.

Mr Johnson said he would be creating new offences under the Criminal Code and increasing penalties for offences under the Weapons Act 1999.

The Minister said anyone found with a weapon in or near a place of public entertainment could face up to five years’ jail.

“These restrictions will further safeguard law-abiding Western Australians and help eliminate weapons from our entertainment precincts,” he said.

“An important part of the legislation focuses on the sale of controlled weapons to young people, particularly those under 18.

“Anyone caught selling or supplying a controlled weapon to a minor faces two years’ imprisonment and a fine of $24,000.

“People have the right to have a night out without the fear of being attacked or threatened with a weapon.”

Controlled weapons include a machete, bow, crossbow, dagger, double end knife, fixed baton, hand or foot claws, machete, metal whip, sickle or scythe, spear, spear gun, sword, throwing blade or knife, throwing star, weighted chain or cord weapon.

The legislation creates the following new offences in the Criminal Code that will attract a penalty of five years’ imprisonment:
* being armed in or near places of public entertainment
* being armed in public in company
* having ready access to both weapons and a prescribed amount of cash
* having ready access to both weapons and illicit drugs.
The Bill also increases penalties within the Weapons Act:
* penalties for importing, possessing, purchasing, selling, supplying or manufacturing prohibited weapons would increase from the current maximum of $8,000 and/or two years imprisonment to $36,000 and/or three years imprisonment
* penalties for offences relating to the carriage or possession of controlled weapons would increase from the current maximum of $4,000 and/or one year imprisonment to $24,000 and/or two years imprisonment
* penalties for offences relating to the carriage or possession of other items of weapons increased from the current maximum of $4,000 and /or one year imprisonment to $24,000 and/or two years imprisonment.The legislation will be introduced into State Parliament this week.

Minister's office: 9222 9211

·
Smilin' Bob
25,077 Posts
...Controlled weapons include a machete, bow, crossbow, dagger, double end knife, fixed baton, hand or foot claws, machete, metal whip, sickle or scythe, spear, spear gun, sword, throwing blade or knife, throwing star, weighted chain or cord weapon.....
So blowguns, hammers, cricket bats, rocks, broken bottles, and cannons are still okay.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Like the way he states to safeguard law abiding citizens. Seems to me it is handcuffing law abiding citizens and giving the criminals a larger victim pool.
When are they going to figure out more laws only affect law abiding citizens, the criminals do not care how many laws there are.

·
Registered
4,943 Posts
gun control in Australia

Anyone know what the crime stats look like in Australia since the law went into effect in 1999. It would be interesting to compare the last 10 years to a time period prior to the enacting of that law. I have a dollar that says the crime is worse now than before.

·
Smilin' Bob
25,077 Posts
Anyone know what the crime stats look like in Australia since the law went into effect in 1999. It would be interesting to compare the last 10 years to a time period prior to the enacting of that law. I have a dollar that says the crime is worse now than before.
From the Australian Bureau of Statistics for the period of 1990-1999:
Victims of homicide were more likely to be killed with a knife or other sharp instrument than any other weapon. There was a declining trend in the proportion of victims killed with a firearm, with an average of 81 victims killed per year with a firearm.
http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/[email protected]

·
Corripe Cervisiam
21,256 Posts
My guide buddy had to jump through hoops for his SW.500 pistol- little California over there. I wonder if this is directed more at the Aboriginals?

So blowguns, hammers, cricket bats, rocks, broken bottles, and cannons are still okay.
Now that was funny Bob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts