Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
12 ring's and P&Y's
5,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They are wanting to legalize crossbows for Archery Season. Here is a direct quote "Legalize crossbows for archery season? We do not have any biological concerns; would be additional opportunity for people who do not want to use conventional equipment". Not to mention extending gun season to 23 days.

Fellow Oklahomans there is a meeting in OKC tomorrow night. I urge everyone in the OKC area to voice their opinions. Here is the address.

December 11, 2009, 7 p.m. Oklahoma City – Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation Auditorium, 1801 N. Lincoln Blvd.

·
Registered
19 Posts
It happened in PA for the 2009 season. I was very skeptical and still am as to how it will impact the regular archery season. The PA game commission did it to "get more hunters in the woods" (which translates to "sell more licenses").
Good Luck

·
Registered
6,216 Posts
They're just like any other state. Don't give a flip what people think, as long as they make more money. It's government, and it ruins everything good in this country. "People who do not want to use conventional equipment..." Yeh, we all know what that means. Sure it'll make some people happy too, those who "do not want to use" a real bow, so they'll probably get votes.

·
Registered
103 Posts
crossbows/ gun season

I think 16 day gun season is to much!!!!! 23days will just make the hunting guides more money, and the fence HUGGERS happy!!!! It's all about the money and getting worse every year us local boys are being pushed out!!!! I wish I lived closer to OKC I would go to the meeting.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Not sure how it would affect me. All the land I hunt, I own and I'm the only one that hunts it.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
I think. It's a good idea to use a crossbow if you are over the age of 55 or for the younger hunters 12-14. This year in mich they let anyone use one and I have seen and heard of people loosing the deer they shot with there crossbow my father in law being one of the he had a perfect shot at 15 yards and he put right behind the shoulder and we never found it and he brother had the same thing happend so there are like anything else shot placement is key but I still don't know how a 150 lb crossbow didn't put those deer down

·
Registered
10,763 Posts
Good for OK. they see the future and writeing on the wall. They are moveing in the right direction now to recruit hunters!:)

·
Registered
627 Posts
I don't know anything about cross bows but isn't the effective range about the same as a compound? I don't think many gun hunters will become cross bow hunters. It will be alot more work, time in the tree and I just don't think they will be willing to shrink their kill zone down to 30 yds from 300 yds.
I would hate much more to see a 23 day gun season...........It is surely all about money. Licenses, tourism, guides and landowner's lease values.

How about a 1 buck limit? That will take care of a lot of problems.

All info above is just my 2 cents. Really all we can do is play by the rules and try to teach newcomers to our sport to behave responsibly.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I dont know that crossbow hunting would have that much effect on things. A lot of hunters are still too lazy for that
23 day gun season? Now that is just plain rediculous.

I read in the paper there will be a meeting in Jenks coming up.

·
Registered
575 Posts
23 Day gun season *** :mad:

·
Registered
330 Posts
Personally, I think Oklahoma should get their act together and have a lengthy gun season like Texas. Nov - Dec This would greatly increase the amount landowners could charge for leasing their property. Also, Oklahoma should make hunting licenses expire outside of hunting season not on Jan. 1.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Cross bows aren't an effective method in Oklahoma. You can't get them out the window.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Personally, I think Oklahoma should get their act together and have a lengthy gun season like Texas. Nov - Dec This would greatly increase the amount landowners could charge for leasing their property. Also, Oklahoma should make hunting licenses expire outside of hunting season not on Jan. 1.
:pukey: Uh no thank you.

·
One Shot
9,181 Posts
Not sure how it would affect me. All the land I hunt, I own and I'm the only one that hunts it.
So the heck with everybody else.

I don't buy the argument that crossbows = more hunters. It just means the same hunters with different equipment. What has been gained?

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
heres mine legalize them and give one to everyone that wants to hunt with them you dont gain nothing by using them in fact i can shoot farther with my elite than my buddy can with his xbow so if it gets more people into the woods then all means lets do it

·
Registered
22 Posts
I dont know alot of the reasons why people dont like crossbows but then again i do. i am a new bow hunter and i like the fact that bow hunting is a little more satisfying. In that same note my father has als or lou gherigs disease so he has a crossbow but even that he cannot use as his days are over. my opinion is that yes money rules and probably will rule in this case sadly. I would rather see some sort of trial season like 2 weeks during otc bow and see how it goes first. As far as the extended gun season I hope not. :(

·
12 ring's and P&Y's
5,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here's your sign!!

If I go to OKC it will be to cast support for crossbow the idea. I don't see the problem with crossbows?

Here you go for the problem. A false sense of confidence boasting 1" groups at 100 yards and 400+ fps with a 480 grain "projectile". How many "joe hunters" will be shooting at their deer past 50 yards with one of these high tech X -guns? This is another problem and also "city hunters" getting a good sound shot off at daylight or dusk. This could be you or your kid getting sound shot. All you guys have heard the horror stories. I have sold alot of crossbows to disabled hunters and do regular practice unlike the guy that treats it like a gun. I am 100% for crossbows for the Disabled hunters,period. Check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FdWkBJ4sdU

·
Registered
434 Posts
Oklahoma has about a tenth of the deer TX has. SO to compare TX to Ok would be flat crazy. There is no place in the states quite like TX. All the areas in OK that I have been in have very low deer densities, So not sure about extending the rifle season.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts