Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two years ago I had vapor trail strings/cables put on my bow and then a year ago this started happening. Nothing happened to the bow damage wise. The track on the inside of the cam is in perfect condition. No burs or chipping paint. I brought into Gander Mountain, who is the one who put the string on, and they reserved it. And a couple months later it separated again. So I brought it to a pro shot and asked them about it. They said they didn't know and just reserved it. Well their serving only lasted a couple shooting months as well, what i mean is its been almost a year since I last had it served but its only been shot a couple months out of that year. Anyone have any idea whats going on? Is it just poor serving or something going on with my bow that is making this happen. I bought the bow off my father in law and hes the original owner. He says this never happened to him before. Thanks for the help.

Jon

If it helps.
Mathews Outback 60-70
28"DL

Attachments

·
Registered
313 Posts
This is a pretty common problem on bows with a high let off and big valley. Does the string line up with the cam...meaning does it appear that the string will travel the exact path of the cam or is there possibly some lean?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is a pretty common problem on bows with a high let off and big valley. Does the string line up with the cam...meaning does it appear that the string will travel the exact path of the cam or is there possibly some lean?
It appears to my father inlaw, he watched while I drew back, that it follows the same path. My bow is paper tuned and I shoot out to 60yds for fun and the bow is very accurate. If the cam was tipped or something like that wouldn't I notice some major performance issues? I do the know the string has stretched about 1/8 an inch which dropped my max draw weight down to 66lbs. The bow seems fine it just keeps eating through my serving. The string isn't fraying just the serving.

·
Registered
13,750 Posts
not bashing but i have seen that on more mathews than any other bow, the smaller that point of contact on the cam the easier it is to separate the serving, there are other bows that do it as well but i just dont see it as often

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I had the same problem my my set of VT strings on an 07 Bengal. I called VT and they said send them in and we will look at them. This would leave me without strings.:confused: I now use Bucknasty and have no problems.

·
Registered
26 Posts
its actually pretty common for that to happen on strings and cables where they track on a cam or draw mod and there is a steep change. nothing very serious to worry about just make sure that the strings aren't fraying and unfortunately keep reserving.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
not bashing but i have seen that on more mathews than any other bow, the smaller that point of contact on the cam the easier it is to separate the serving, there are other bows that do it as well but i just dont see it as often
This seperation as you call it has nothing to do with this bow.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
This is not a seperation issue!!! When you have seperation, the outside is not a big deal.....this is abrasion.

You are getting contact during the draw cycle. As stated above, it may be that your cam is leaning, there may be a sharp edge, there is contact during the rotation somewhere, for sure.

·
Registered
586 Posts
This seperation as you call it has nothing to do with this bow.
it is very common with one cam bows and only happens to the bus cable.
you can have it served with halo and it will last longer. It has everything to do with the cam and the steep rollover mentioned above.
do a search in the strings forum and you are sure to find some more answers.

·
Registered
7,889 Posts
This is not a seperation issue!!! When you have seperation, the outside is not a big deal.....this is abrasion.

You are getting contact during the draw cycle. As stated above, it may be that your cam is leaning, there may be a sharp edge, there is contact during the rotation somewhere, for sure.
i agree with this...Ive used plenty of VTs on bows and they dont seperate atleast in my experience..i would look at cam lean along with a bur or something.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
If you look at the pics a bit closer you will see that this cam is all dinged up!!

Replace the cam and string/cable.....make sure the cam is in line with the system.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm pretty sure the serving has never been cut and it would be weird that it happened to get cut twice like that. I don't think it has anything to do with my VT string/cables because two other people have served it with who knows what brand serving. There is no bur, I ran a cotton swab over the cam and in the groove and no hangups. Far the cam being dinged. That just happened a couple weeks ago. This bow is in mint condition and the dirt you see on the cam is because I had it in my father in laws wood shop and its dust that just got on it being out there overnight. The dings are from my cam hitting my LW tree stand arm rest when I was shooting at a deer this year, yes I missed. And it launched my bow right out of my hand. It left a couple dings on it but they are no where near where the cable is messed up and the serving issue has been happening long before my little arm rest accident. Thanks for the replies.

Jon

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I'm pretty sure the serving has never been cut and it would be weird that it happened to get cut twice like that. I don't think it has anything to do with my VT string/cables because two other people have served it with who knows what brand serving. There is no bur, I ran a cotton swab over the cam and in the groove and no hangups. Far the cam being dinged. That just happened a couple weeks ago. This bow is in mint condition and the dirt you see on the cam is because I had it in my father in laws wood shop and its dust that just got on it being out there overnight. The dings are from my cam hitting my LW tree stand arm rest when I was shooting at a deer this year, yes I missed. And it launched my bow right out of my hand. It left a couple dings on it but they are no where near where the cable is messed up and the serving issue has been happening long before my little arm rest accident. Thanks for the replies.

Jon
I will try this again.....think about how you cam rotates in relationship to your string and cable? You are getting contact on a not so dull portion of the cam. I can see the dings in the pics, and they do run buy the damaged portion during rotation.

·
Registered
7,889 Posts
my buddy semi dry fired his sbxt and the string partially came off and put a small ding in the cam he got the string back on and started shooting it and thats exactly what his looked like, i changed his string and i had to buy a micro file set to file that ding down so the new string didnt do it and it worked

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I will try this again.....think about how you cam rotates in relationship to your string and cable? You are getting contact on a not so dull portion of the cam. I can see the dings in the pics, and they do run buy the damaged portion during rotation.
I understand what your saying. But I believe what you are seeing as a ding is just saw dust on the cam. I have ran a cotton swab on the outside and inside the part of the cam where this is happening and it caught on nothing.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Running a cotton swab over something and expecting it to "catch" and having a string or cable under tension rubbing on the side of your cam or a ding are not in the same ball park.

Draw your bow very slowy and have some one watch to see were the contact is, or even better put it on a draw board. Also I hate to say it but there may also be some torque involved.

:thumbs_up

·
Registered
11,380 Posts
Something is wrong, like noted most single cams will cause serving seperation.

This is not serving seperation, the serving is cut, and it looks like a strand is also ready to be cut.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Running a cotton swab over something and expecting it to "catch" and having a string or cable under tension rubbing on the side of your cam or a ding are not in the same ball park.

Draw your bow very slowy and have some one watch to see were the contact is, or even better put it on a draw board. Also I hate to say it but there may also be some torque involved.

:thumbs_up
Thanks for the advice. Will have to try drawing it and and watching for it hitting the side. I have inspected it very closely visually and I just don't see any dings but if its rubbing on the side I can see that being bad. Can you clarify what you mean by torque being involved? Thank again.

Jon

1 - 20 of 32 Posts