Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've been wanting to get into doing my own work on my bow and recently decided to take the plunge!! I got a good deal on an EZ Press and now just need your help on what else I should get.

I just bought an Emerald Serving bobbin from NWSpinners and now I need to know what kind of serving (i.e. size and type) that I need for center serving and peeps.

Also, what other tools (types & brands) would you recommend for a basement bow shop? I know I need a bow scale, a grain scale, arrow saw, pliers, razor blades, d-loop string & a bow vise.

Anyone have any instructional dvds or tools you'd like to get rid of?!?!?

Thanks for your help in advance!!!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Working on your own bow is a great luxury. for serving i recommend bcy halo .14 for (peeps,and string accessories) and bcy halo .24 for center serving. As for scales i use a Rubbermaid scale that works great. i use a off brand grain scale that works for what i need it too(a lot of choices for this item). i use an i use an apple archery 8000rpm (this will cut threw carbon and aluminum like butter) with a vacuum attachment. I use multiple needle noes pliers when i work on bows usually the one closest to my hand at the time, but you'll want a small fine needle noes for those tight spots and pulling serving tight and a bigger one for random jobs on the bow. I make a regular purchase of razor blades because they dull quite often and its easier to just throw them away then try to sharpen them(always use a sharp razor,Ive seen more strings cut because people try to cut serving with a dull blade and push harder than they need to and slip). For the d-loop material i like BCY camo material, it just seems to burn a great bulb for a strong loop. BCY also make d-loop material in all kinds of colors.and as for a vise i would only recommend the Ram Micro adj vise. i have used quite a few vise and the ram is the best Ive used. Its a little pricy but you'll be thankful you spent the extra cash. Other good tools to have would be brass nock removers,a u-serve serving bar,a good Bic wind resistant lighter, and regular lighter,an arrow squaring tool, apple archery bow string and arrow levels (important), a good set of allen tools i recommend are the alpine ridge small and large sets. and a good set of t-handles for the bench.

some items i forgot- Draw board for timing,and if your feeling crazy a string jig :wink:

I hope this helps and I'm sure Ive forgot something. But these are the tools i use at home that work for me. Everybody is diff and has there own style. But these are things you will develop over time.

·
Registered
14,506 Posts
for a good all round serving you cant go wrong with bcy 3D, center serving i prefer brownell diamondback though. for tying peeps i like to use the smallest diameter material, i dont get picky with what just dont use halo for peeps. you can use the 3D its just little fatter but works fine.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
I believe the Viking Pelouze 7710 100lb and the American Weigh TL-330 Industrial Hanging Scale 330lb hanging scales are both very good scales, but I can't get myself to get one for the draw board because of their size & weight. Although the tare feature eliminates the weight of the scale itself, as it hangs horizontally on the draw board, I just feel better about a lighter scale. But that leads you to a small luggage scale that generally doesn't have the best accuracy, particularly if you're going to develop a Draw-Force curve.

If I had to go with a luggage type scale it probably would be the American Weigh H110.

I would definitely not recommend the Jennings Jscale UltraSport50, or any scale from them as I believe, based on my experience, that they are extremely bad to deal with. Reference a previous post I made regarding this experience if interested. Frankly, I sent recently them my UltraSport50 for warranty repair & I doubt if I'll even get it back. My fault, should have known better.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Great videos on you tube! Bowtuningtip.com is a great resource, he does a great job, watch as many different things as you can. Don't be in too big of a hurry buying stuff, waiting a little here and there can save you big money.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Great videos on you tube! Bowtuningtip.com is a great resource, he does a great job, watch as many different things as you can. Don't be in too big of a hurry buying stuff, waiting a little here and there can save you big money.
$297 to sign up??? Don't think so when there is so much info available & offered on AT!!!!!

·
74,535 Posts
I really enjoy these dloop pliers from Outer Limits archery. Just seems you often get what you pay for.

Last Chance Bow vise will soon be in my future of tools as well.

G5 arrow sqauring tool is awesome as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
I really enjoy these dloop pliers from Outer Limits archery. Just seems you often get what you pay for.

Last Chance Bow vise will soon be in my future of tools as well.

G5 arrow sqauring tool is awesome as well.
These look like a very intelligent design & I have no doubt they would work well. However, like many others that have done this, I bought a large inexpensive needle nose pliers (~$1) & ground/sanded a semi-circular groove on the outside of each jaw. I just insert the jaws into the D-loop & spread the jaws. What I particularly like about this method is being able to use two hands to really apply a lot of force to each jaw, as much as I can pull.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts