Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

I would like to start being able to serve my own strings but when I look up the materials there are several different kinds of serving thread. Not only in color, but mainly in size. Does it matter what size of thread I use to serve my string? Is there a kit online somewhere or do I need to purchase the materials piecemeal?

I assume I need: serving thread, jig, knock point, and knock point pliers?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Hi all!

I would like to start being able to serve my own strings but when I look up the materials there are several different kinds of serving thread. Not only in color, but mainly in size. Does it matter what size of thread I use to serve my string? Is there a kit online somewhere or do I need to purchase the materials piecemeal?

I assume I need: serving thread, jig, knock point, and knock point pliers?

Thanks!
Correct nock to serving fit is important, John Dudley has a video on YouTube describing the correct fit. The serving size needed will vary with nock throat diameter and the bundle thickness, lots of choices of materials and diameters. Some materials will flatten out more than others when served so say .021" 62xs will have a similar finished diameter to .018" Powergrip. It's trial and error for most, but the previously mentioned serving is a probably the most common for compound shooters. Someone may be able to point you in the right direction if you state your nock model and string material type and strand count (or bundle diameter if material is unknown).

Nocking points and pliers are not absolutely necessary, most compound shooters use either a d loop or a d loop in conjunction with a tied nocking point(s). Many traditional archers also use tied nocking points. There are threads here on how to make them if you do a search, YouTube probably has several videos on it also.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts